× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX35 losing its mind

RAX35 losing its mind

The headaches of Netgear have me convinced. With increasing frequency I have had to reset this device and the fun of personalization to follow. A little over a week ago I noticed the strange behavior when turning on remote secure access, https. Momentarily other items would flash on the web page and disappear before being able to do anything. I wanted to hit this group up to ask what that was about, i.e. is something corrupted in the file on board?

Out of town for a few days I was happy to see it functioning when I got home, until bedtime. Alexa not responding. Took care of necessary manually. Next morning, I was unable to login, so I reset and logged in. Everything appeared fine except it said I had no internet access, yet I was able to browse everywhere, so I reset again.

This was the beginning of extra trouble because it would no longer recognize "password" or the one I created by chance. Several attempts of resets and different machines with and without internet connection including using the app. Insert long line of stars and stripes, etc. Even tried internet port 192.168.1.0.

What is the easiest way to check the power supply to see if it is failing under load?

I ask because I looked around and found I had a 5 amp one laying around with correct connector and plugged it. Reset. App connected. App allowed setup. Was able to enter with browser and reload latest update. Proceeded with personal settings, going slowly, creating backups along the way.

This is the first time I let it manage whether it be 2.5 or 5G connection.

When I got to turning on the remote connection, I got the same stupid behavior of flash then hiding controls.

Also, my Echo device has fallen offline a couple of times and that is not normal. Attached devices has been changing from Smart Plug to IoT for no apparent reason and on the edit device screen is another one of those flashes that quickly disappears as the screen opens. The name won't appear correctly on this screen nor is it editable here. Also, quite often for attached devices the proper icon for device name is not shown but a place holder to click and chose load image.

I could go on, but this is obviously corrupted software whether it was sloppily written or otherwise it needs fixing. HELP.

Message 1 of 4

Re: RAX35 losing its mind

@Moose-Squirrel wrote:

A little over a week ago I noticed the strange behavior when turning on remote secure access, https. Momentarily other items would flash on the web page and disappear before being able to do anything. I wanted to hit this group up to ask what that was about, i.e. is something corrupted in the file on board?

Can you explain what you mean by that?

Where do you set "remote secure access, https"?

Is this on the Web Services Management page?

Here at least it is Local Management that has the option Always Use HTTPS to Access Router.

That is not related to Remote Management which is in the next section.

I find that  when it set Always Use HTTPS to Access Router it breaks Remote Management.

I saw some of the symptoms that you describe.

Unfortunately, Netgear added this feature to firmware after most routers first came out. The documentation of this is even worse than usual.

One manual that does mention this has the following warning:

What do I do if I my browser displays a security message? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As to the rest of your message, I'm lost.What does the power supply have to do with what you see? I suspect that you are tying together things that have nothing to do with each other.

I find it best to deal with one issue at a time.

Message 2 of 4

I apologize for what was a bit of word salad. After too many hours of trying to slay the netgear beast that was the result. The weird behavior overall, even after repeated resets, made suspicious of a voltage issue affecting memory or processing. Include various orders of lights lighting after a reset of power sometimes red or amber or green at roughly the same time during power on. Call it shotgun approach if you like, with nothing to lose.

Yes, the Web Services Management tab which allows HTTPS but only shows the other features during a flash after hitting apply. I managed a screen capture repeated hitting print screen. I probably don't need to repeat other's thoughts on this. Such behavior which also occurs elsewhere seems bad.

I also rambled about attached devices and that this was the first time I used "Enable Smart Connect". In Advanced/Administration/Attached Devices or Basic/Attached Devices quite often it would display a placeholder icon. Right click, choose load image will load it. Whether doing it here or the app it often changes to different device picture. If you choose to edit a device, a priority choice will pop momentarily. You can choose device type but forget changing device name here. Delete it and it will auto fill from somewhere.

Where you change the name is Access Control and there is a link in the upper right from both locations. If you started on Basic, it would bring up Access Control from Advanced but not change tabs. Just switching to the Advanced tab and loading it takes a long time to load. Why? I was just looking at the same page. Such weird behavior makes me wonder does it matter if I make changes from which loaded page?

(adding general post problem)

Message 3 of 4

A new issue bared itself last night. The guest WiFi, both, are unchecked for "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network".

I have multiple Eques power plugs on 2.5. Echo set up to manage them (2.5). And I have the Alexa app on my iPhone. I have discovered I can control those power plugs with the phone connected to guest network. 

SECURITY!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7