× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40 not working with extender EAX20

wifidoesntwork
Aspirant

RAX40 not working with extender EAX20

I know I had an issue a year or so back where my router firmware was updated and the router no longer worked with the extender. Assuming this was finally fixed I upgraded my firmware as I was having issues with various devices dropping off the network. Well now again once I plug my extender in, I lose internet. How can I resolve this issue? How do I go back to the older firmware. I can’t believe Netgear has not resolved this firmware issue in over a year.
Message 1 of 5

Re: RAX40 not working with extender EAX20

@wifidoesntwork wrote:
Well now again once I plug my extender in, I lose internet.

You may have to explain what happens in a bit more detail.

Sadly "lose internet" could mean many things. And plug the extender into what?

What actually happens?

What firmware version do you have on the devices?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

How do I go back to the older firmware.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I can’t believe Netgear has not resolved this firmware issue in over a year.

Have you checked for other people reporting the same problems?

Search - NETGEAR Communities – EAX20

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

Did you set it up using the push button WPS option? 

If so, factory reset the extender  and set it up using the installation assistant.

To factory reset, push and hold the reset button for 7-15 seconds while powered on. 

Here's a video of how to use the assistant. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJVklshxBMk

Message 3 of 5
wifidoesntwork
Aspirant

Yes I checked the forums and several people had to downgrade the firmware for the extender and router to work together. When I say loose internet, the router’s wifi connection says “no internet” and only the extender works. If you plug directly into the router it works fine. I can use the latest version for 1.0.3.94_1.0.1. Versions 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 cause the router to have “no internet” via wifi.
Message 4 of 5
Baui
Aspirant

I have a rax40 router and a eax15 extender. Several times I have upgraded the firmware causing the same problem. Loss of wifi connection when I turn on the extender. The only solution I have found has been to downgrade the firmware to the one wich was originally installed. I have hoped for this to have been solved with newer firmware versions but it I am still very disappointed by the fact that this hasn't been fixed.
It is very unlikely that I will purchase Netgear products again.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7