× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX40

FunTwo
Star

RAX40

Currently have a 1GBPS down connection at my ATT router, which translates to 891.55mbps down and 576.60 mbps up (measured via the NightHawk app). 

When I use Speedtest on my mobile, both down and up speeds match each other (approx 300mbps). Is this normal?

On my laptop (<3 ft away, no VPN), the speeds are the same. On VPN, I am down to 100mbps and less.

Am I doing something wrong? Help?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Topology
Virtuoso

Re: RAX40

FunTwo, (a) the measurements reported by the Speedtest app on your mobile phone reflect the wireless speed between your phone, router, and the test server; whereas, (b) the measurements reported by the Nighthawk mobile app reflect the wired speed between your router, modem, and ISP. It is normal for the former to be less than the latter. However, if your mobile phone supports WiFi 6 (e.g., iPhone 11 Pro), the former may approach the latter.

In addition, it is normal to expect a speed reduction when using a VPN service – although some services are faster than others; and within the same service, speed will vary depending on the location of the VPN gateway and the protocol (e.g., UDP) being used. You may wish to experiment with various VPN settings, to find what works best for you.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
FunTwo
Star

Re: RAX40

I understand that. But isnt that drop in speed too much? Also, both devices are within 10 feet of the router, no walls in between. 

I just changed the DNS server on the router. Will do a check soon.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7