× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 Double NAT with 2 X boxes hardwired - Optyx fiber

DrFast
Aspirant

RAX45 Double NAT with 2 X boxes hardwired - Optyx fiber

Hello all,

We just switched from Spectrum to Optyx 2gig fiber.

Now we are always seeing Double NAT making multiplayer games lag significantly.

Here is our setup:

Our Fiber provider setup our ONT. It's a Nokia XS-010X-Q. I cannot see any info about this to know the firmware...

Our RAX45 Nighthawk is directly connected to the ONT by a 25ft Cat 8 cable

Each X Box is hardwired to the RAX45 (Firmware V1.0.16.132_2.0.92) also using Cat 8 cable 5 - 10 feet in length.

I have tried to setup the NAT on the RAX45 to "open" but still have the same issue. 

When I hook my Xbox directly to the ONT, I see "Strict" NAT but cannot connect to any online gaming (Fortnite)

Any ideas of what to try to change?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
GDaag
Aspirant

Re: RAX45 Double NAT with 2 X boxes hardwired - Optyx fiber

I have Optyx fiber as well and have the same issue but I’m using there modem/router (EERO Pro 6E). Called them the other day and they said that are having problems with double NAT and that you can buy a Public IP address for an additional $10 a month.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

I'd also press the power button on both xbox consoles until they shut off, give 10 seconds then turn back ON. This might clear out any odd networking behaviors. 

Also if you have two xbox consoles on same router, I'd set NAT Filter on the router to OPEN.

Be sure the ISP is not blocking any gaming ports or configurations as well. 

Message 2 of 8
DrFast
Aspirant

Thanks for the note.

I did reset the router/ONT/ everything else earlier today.  I just did it again exactly how you described, still Double NAT on hard wire connection.

If I connect the Xbox by Wifi I do not have Double NAT, only Strict.  But there is still lag in any multiplayer online games.

There is only a "NAT setting" under the WAN and not under LAN in the router setup.  The WAN setting is on "open".

What exactly do I need to ask the ISP to Check about gaming ports or other configurations?

Thanks,

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If your seeing strict NAT with the xbox connected directly to the ONT with out the router. Something to ask the ISP about. Ask them about any upstream CGN devices on there side or if there could be anything on there side blocking the consoles from getting OPEN NAT. 

Ask about any IPv6 configurations as well. If they have native IPv6 or not. Something on there side is not fully letting the a console get OPEN NAT.

Message 4 of 8
DrFast
Aspirant

My broadband company is Optyx, which has basically no customer service setup in the US yet...

What do you think about me running my router in "Access Point" mode.... Any chance that will work? Or is this a bad idea?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think it makes any difference. I can't confirm that there is a router at the ONT however checking the model#, doesn't seem to be one so AP mode on the router would probably not work since there doesn't seem to be a router there. You could try it, just disable the wifi on the RAX router and connect up one xbox and see. I presume the issue will still be there. Again, since you didn't see open NAT with the xbox directly connected to the ONT, there an issue some where between the ONT and ISP service. 

Message 6 of 8
GDaag
Aspirant

I have Optyx fiber as well and have the same issue but I’m using there modem/router (EERO Pro 6E). Called them the other day and they said that are having problems with double NAT and that you can buy a Public IP address for an additional $10 a month.
Message 7 of 8
DrFast
Aspirant

Same thing they told me. So far the Double NAT is gone. Still not at the 2 gig speed they sold me though.....

Thanks for your response!

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7