× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX45 and USB3.0 HD Causing Router to Reboot

gonzo0903
Follower

RAX45 and USB3.0 HD Causing Router to Reboot

Going from an older N900 Netgear router to the RAX45 primarily because my external HD was USB3.0 and the previous router didn't have the newer USB standard. 

Hooked up everything including Seagate 8TB HD and router kept restarting every 5-10 min or so.  First the connection would disconnect even though all the LEDs on the router looked like there was connectivity. Finally, it would do a reboot where the power LED would go from orange to white. 

Decided to remove the hard drive from the equation and it seems to have stablized the router from rebooting.  Intent for hard drive was to save Plex server and local documents from two computers on same network. Are there known issues with connecting USB HDs or is it preferred to get an Ethernet enabled HD for backing up?

Router Model: RAX45

Firmware: 1.0.4.100

36 IoT devices connected (mostly cameras, lights, switches, non streaming devices)

Arris CM8200A: Cable Modem

Seagate 8TB USB 3.0 External Drive. 

Message 1 of 2

Re: RAX45 and USB3.0 HD Causing Router to Reboot

@gonzo0903 wrote:

Are there known issues with connecting USB HDs or is it preferred to get an Ethernet enabled HD for backing up?

I have an 8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub connected to an R7800. No problems.

I also have several Ethernet NAS boxes, and they are more versatile and easier to use then USB devices, which are really a poor man's NAS when you throw ReadySHARE into the mix.

But you are talking about the RAX45.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7