× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX48 loses connection, needs weekly reboot

maxforwardspeed
Aspirant

RAX48 loses connection, needs weekly reboot

This is a brand new RAX48 AX5200 Nighthawk router and I'm finding that it completely loses all connectivity about once per week. I'm unable to access the router admin pages even with a wired connection. All LEDs are indicating normal function, and nothing appears abnormal. But, for the devices that were connected wirelessly the frozen router will show that you are connected but without internet access. And yet I cannot even navigate to the router admin page in this state. If I try disconnecting a wireless device and reconnecting to the network, the SSID is still visible, but authentication fails immediately for any new connection request. In this router state, my only solution is a power cycle. 

Things I've tried to prevent this from recuring:

Downloading the latest firmware from netgear (V1.0.2.72_2.0.45) and manually uploading it through the router pages

Next, a complete factory reset

Changing 2.4Ghz channel to 8 and 5Ghz to 128. Changing MTU value to 1492.

These solutions were all recommended by netgear support experts through chatting, but no surprise that these options don't help. Here's a surprising bit of info: This router is my 2nd nighthawk. The first one (RAX43) was exchanged because it was doing the exact same thing every week. I thought the RAX48 would be better, but it has the same firmware build as the RAX43. So, I'm wondering if it's a firmware bug since it seems unlikely that there would be two consecutive units with hardware issues? I appreciate any suggestions as I want to give this product a chance before giving up on Netgear alltogether. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
gadgetgeek2000
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue with my RAX80. I am losing the ability to get to the admin pages about 2-3 times per day now. The issue just is getting worse and worse.

Called support and they told me that "since the hardware lights are on this is not a hardware issue".

Seriously frustrated. I spent $500+ for my router and another for the EAX80 extender so that I would have an excellent network experience. I put in a similar message this morning on the forum after getting nowhere with a support technician on the phone.  I have already RMAd a product for this same issue early on, and now I'm past my 90 day support period. So I get nothing. I can't even prove to them it might be a hardware issue without paying for extending my support.

SUPER FRUSTRATED.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
maxforwardspeed
Aspirant

It seems like with this and other nighthawk routers it's a common problem. It's sad to have to expect this from such expensive technology. I'm about ready to pack it up and return it. My old Linksys WRT54G was solid, never needed a regular restart of any kind.
Message 3 of 4
itsmehuey
Luminary

Welcome to the corrupt world of Netgear. Where they sell you something advertised to be capable of all of these things... then ultimately don’t work at all, then adding insult to injury, try to force you to pay for support which SHOULD BE PROVIDED FOR FREE with your warranty.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7