× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX50 - Client DNS configuration when router being used for DHCP

RAX50 - Client DNS configuration when router being used for DHCP

Hello.

I am using my RAX50 as a DHCP server for the devices on my network and I would like to specify what DNS server the clients use but I cannot see a setting for that.

The reason is that I want to add a PiHole device to my network but if I set the router's DNS to the PiHole I end up cause a DNS loop in my network.

Please can anyone advise how I can specify the DNS for clients getting DHCP from the router?

Regards

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX50 - Client DNS configuration when router being used for DHCP

Under the internet settings, you set the pihole IP address as the DNS server. 

I use a pihole all the time on my network. 

the pihole needs to be connected through the RAX's lan port

Message 2 of 6

Will I need set the default gateway of the pi eth0 to point at the RAX50 router?  Last time I tried this I got issues with DNS rate-limiting.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

You didn't give me a very good description. 

Screensnips of what you're doing help the most. 

I have my pihole hosted on docker on one of my pc's. I set it with a reserved IP address (in the Netgear router) for that computer. That gives it a fixed IP address. I then set that IP address as my DNS server IP address in the router under internet settings. I usually use a backup DNS server (like Google/Cloudflare) in case my PC is down for some reason. You also need to make sure to set the IPv6 IP address of the computer in the ipv6 DNS settings if you want IPv6 filtered as well. 

Message 4 of 6

Sorry for not being clear.

I was wondering what the default gateway of the pi would be set to? 

If I set the gateway in the pi config to "192.168.1.1" (The router), then on the router set the DNS to "192.168.1.16" (The Pi) - Is that going to cause issues?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not sure exactly if you're using an actual pihole. You'd have to check on their boards. In my docker container, I attached a photo since I'm not using the pihole for DHCP. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7