× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX54v2 going offline every night

krk_
Aspirant

RAX54v2 going offline every night

Over the past week, overnight around 3:30-3:45, my wireless router goes down. No errors indicated by the LEDs, wireless SSIDs still broadcasting, but you cannot join. A reboot restores connectivity but cannot determine why it keeps happening. Really frustrating because our baby monitor uses the WiFi and we loose the feed overnight. Anyone experience something similar?
Message 1 of 7

@krk_ wrote:
Over the past week, overnight around 3:30-3:45, my wireless router goes down. No errors indicated by the LEDs, wireless SSIDs still broadcasting, but you cannot join.

Does it hit all wifi clients?

Do the router's logs show anything?

No scheduled timer in your wifi settings?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Set up a WiFi schedule

Message 2 of 7
krk_
Aspirant

Yes, seems to hit all wireless clients. In fact, the router seems to be completely unresponsive. Cannot connect to management, review logs, etc. only a reboot restores.

No scheduler has been setup in wireless setup. I would think if it was a wireless schedule, I’d still be able to access management of the router.
Message 3 of 7

@krk_ wrote:

No scheduler has been setup in wireless setup. I would think if it was a wireless schedule, I’d still be able to access management of the router.

Agreed. That bit wasn't in the first message.

Do you use the Nighthawk App? Can that get in?

Another thing to rule out is anything going on with the ISP.

The usual boilerplate questions to eliminate some of the more common issues that crop up here.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". There may be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware with an app or in the browser interface.

If there is one it might also help if you told people the make and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that connects this router to the Internet. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

I ask because a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 7
krk_
Aspirant

So, I think I’ve found part of the problem.

After checking, I’m on v1.1.3.18. When I check for an update manually, there is a 1.1.4 version. However, after multiple tries to upgrade to the new version of firmware, the router just hangs (just like it does overnight).

So, I went into advanced settings and noted that automatic updates were enabled. This is what is causing the router to die overnight. So, I disabled for now.

Now, the problem is that the router will not take the new firmware. Not sure what to do about that.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try manually updating FW? 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

You'll need to use a wired PC and web browser for this.

And will need to factory reset and setup the router from scratch after applying the FW update.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended.

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 6 of 7

@krk_ wrote:

Now, the problem is that the router will not take the new firmware. Not sure what to do about that.

How are you trying to load the new firmware? Manual is best:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You shouldn't need to do it, but it sometimes helps to reset the device before you apply the firmware.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You could save your settings and reload them after the update.

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

That can resurrect problems from before the backup, bit in this case there may not be any.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7