× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX70 assigning incorrect ip address

ChrisFurman
Aspirant

RAX70 assigning incorrect ip address

I was recently issued a Dell OptiPlex 3000 Thin Client by my work to remotely connect into our virtual desktops.

When I brought it home to set up to my home network (Version FIOS gigabit Internet directly connected to my RAX70 router), one of two things are happening based on how it connects to the router:

1. The router does not detect the device in the Access Control list when the device is using a wireless connection (both secured wireless and "guest" wireless access)

2. The router assigns a default gateway IP (10.4.x.x) when the device is using a wired connection

This is the only device that is experiencing the issue. I'm assuming the connection issue rests within the router as the device will connect to our work network when I use a separate internet connection (such as a hotspot from my mobile phone) as the network connection on the device.

Our IT team has not been very helpful in trying to identify an issue, so I thought I'd turn here to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX70 assigning incorrect ip address

What modem/gateway is the RAX connected to? 

Message 2 of 7
ChrisFurman
Aspirant

It is directly connected to the FIOS ONT box.

FIOS ONT > RAX70 > device

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

What fios ONT?

Message 4 of 7
ChrisFurman
Aspirant

I-211M-L

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

have you tried setting the thin client with its ip address in the routers DMZ?

Message 6 of 7
ChrisFurman
Aspirant

I had tried this previously to no avail. However, based on your recommendation, I decided to give it another try and was able to get it to connect successfully using the following steps:

1. Under Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup, I created an address reservation for the thin client

2. On the thin client, I went into the IPv4 network settings and, instead of allowing the device to dynamically allocate an IP address, I entered static address information (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway). 

3. Restarted the thin client, and it was now picking up the reserved IP address and, subsequently, connected to my company virtual desktop.

(Previously when I was trying this, I never statically set the IP address on the thin client.)

Still curious as to why it was never dynamically picking up an IP address from the DHCP server on the router (and was, instead, assigning the 10.4.x.x address), but I'll worry about that if this issue starts to happen more frequently with any additional devices added to the network.

Thank you for your assistance!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7