× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX78 Open VPN IOS (iPad) client not given IP Address the same as RAX78 LAN

firefox111
Apprentice

RAX78 Open VPN IOS (iPad) client not given IP Address the same as RAX78 LAN

Hello.  My iPad's Open VPN client is assigned an IP Address from a different subnet as the RAX78 LAN.  The Windows Open VPN client is assigned an IP Address in the same LAN subnet, which is good.  I want the iPad's client be assigned an IP Address from the RAX78 LAN subnet.  The reason why I want this is WOL does not work at all from the iPad VPN client. Other than that, I can access the RAX78 LAN with no problem.  I just want the WOL to come across the LAN to a PC I want to wake up. Anyone has an idea how to make the Open VPN service of af Netgear router to its DHCP LAN IP range to TUN OVPN clients?  (I believe the SmartPhone clients are on the TUN type of OVPN connection).

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

For windows, you will typically see 2 adapters. Windows normally handles VPN traffic in a split tunnel mmanner where the VPN application adds a virtual NIC that gets an IP assigned by the VPN server.

On a PC, the physical NIC still has the local IP of whatever network it is on, and applications can choose to use it (bypassign the VPN) if they want. The virtual NIC will still get an IP in the subnet that the router uses for VPN clients, in the case of Netgear, something in the xxx.xxx.254.xxx range. 

If yours is treating the windows client differently, then you could attempt to use it on a mobile device by removing certain entries such as

"dev-node NETGEAR-VPN" from the file and changing "dev tap" to "dev tun", and removing "redirect-gateway", and then seeinf it will still connect using the mbile device.

Message 2 of 7
firefox111
Apprentice

@Razor512 wrote:

If yours is treating the windows client differently, then you could attempt to use it on a mobile device by removing certain entries such as

"dev-node NETGEAR-VPN" from the file and changing "dev tap" to "dev tun", and removing "redirect-gateway", and then seeinf it will still connect using the mbile device.

Thanks for this.  I know, Windows 10 client connects with an IP Address in the same LAN Subnet in the RAX78, which is good.  I have no problem with this.

I will try converting the smartphone (for my iPad) config to a "dev tap" connection.  We'll see if it works.

Message 3 of 7
firefox111
Apprentice

@Razor512 wrote:

In both the Windows PC and Smartphone config, there is no "redirect-gateway" directive.  However, the "verb" in the Smartphone config is 5 whereas in the Windows PC config, it is 0.  Does anyone know what this "verb" declarative do?  Thanks.

I have converted the smartphone config from "dev tun" to "dev tap" and changed the port from 12973 to 12974.  I'll re-import it to my iPad and see if that can connect.

Message 4 of 7
firefox111
Apprentice

@firefox111 wrote:

@Razor512 wrote:

Thanks for this.  I know, Windows 10 client connects with an IP Address in the same LAN Subnet in the RAX78, which is good.  I have no problem with this.

I will try converting the smartphone (for my iPad) config to a "dev tap" connection.  We'll see if it works.

Well, it does not work! The import process parses the config file and TAP is not supported in Open VPN in iPad's.

TAP not supported.png

Message 5 of 7
Razor512
Prodigy

In that case, for wake on LAN, are you able to set up a different device on the LAN that will be on the proper subnet that can then broadcast to the right subnet?

For example do you have a raspberry pi device laying aroud that you are not currently using and can install a package like etherwake?

Some NAS devices can also send WOL packets, such as the Synology NAS, though it is typically done in for form of a user defined script.

Message 6 of 7
firefox111
Apprentice

@Razor512 wrote:

In that case, for wake on LAN, are you able to set up a different device on the LAN that will be on the proper subnet that can then broadcast to the right subnet?

For example do you have a raspberry pi device laying aroud that you are not currently using and can install a package like etherwake?

Some NAS devices can also send WOL packets, such as the Synology NAS, though it is typically done in for form of a user defined script.

Thanks for your suggestions. I also have a Win10 laptop with me when I travel that connects to my RAX78 OVPN service which is given the LAN IP so I can send WOL packet to my server at home.. It would have been convenient with a tablet.

I'm not into Rasberry Pi.  I'm too old for that.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7