× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX78 Upload speed tanked

MasterBanana
Aspirant

RAX78 Upload speed tanked

Hello 

I am experiencing poor upload speeds across ALL connected devices directly to my RAX78.

My internet provider is Sparklight with 300 down and 30 up. I get roughly 260-350 down and 28-35 up through speedtest performed via ethernet at the Modem(C6220) and through the router, routerlogin speedtest at the QoS menu.

WiFi AND Ethernet devices experience poor upload speeds between 0.6 and 2.0. Download speeds remain consistent.

Prior to this issue, I tried out the 1.1.1.1 DNS and realized it was slower based on my area. I have since reverted back and double-checked DNS settings on both network devices as well as the connected devices to them.

Once I had switched back, I still experienced the same issue with upload speeds. 

From this point, through my searching I have changed the setting on the C6220 to act as a modem only.

I have disabled and re-enabled QoS on the router(RAX78) to verify the issue was happening with or without the service.

At this point I'm not sure where to look for the issue. I have not reset the router yet, there's between 10 and 30 devices connected to this router at one time and I'd hate to redo them all. Prepared to do so if needed.

What's next? 

Please let me know if there's any additional information needed to help.

Thanks,

An Exhausted Father

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: RAX78 Upload speed tanked

@MasterBanana wrote:

I've performed this task as you specified, with the same results.

Out of curiosity, I connected my wifi card on with this PC and got full speeds up and down. 

I have swapped ethernet ports to verify the issue, same result.

I have swapped ethernet cables, same result.

Drivers have been verified on the currently isolated PC. Running Intel Killer E2200.

I'm continuing to keep an eye on the WiFi speeds from another computer out in my garage which has the worst chance of success. Running a USB card I get 39d and 31u, through a staircase, two walls, a car, a fridge and a toolbox.

Occasionally I have a laptop with a 5GHz card that fails to perform.

If you do a web search for the Intel Killer E2200 hardware, you will find pages and pages of problems associated with the Intel drivers and Intel Performance software suite.

In Windows, uninstall all Intel software and drivers associated with the E2200 hardware.  Go in to the control panel - device manager - network adapters and uninstall the device.  Restart Windows and it will install the Microsoft driver for the E2200.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@MasterBanana wrote:

Hello 

I am experiencing poor upload speeds across ALL connected devices directly to my RAX78.

My internet provider is Sparklight with 300 down and 30 up. I get roughly 260-350 down and 28-35 up through speedtest performed via ethernet at the Modem(C6220) and through the router, routerlogin speedtest at the QoS menu.

WiFi AND Ethernet devices experience poor upload speeds between 0.6 and 2.0. Download speeds remain consistent.

Prior to this issue, I tried out the 1.1.1.1 DNS and realized it was slower based on my area. I have since reverted back and double-checked DNS settings on both network devices as well as the connected devices to them.

Once I had switched back, I still experienced the same issue with upload speeds. 

From this point, through my searching I have changed the setting on the C6220 to act as a modem only.

I have disabled and re-enabled QoS on the router(RAX78) to verify the issue was happening with or without the service.

At this point I'm not sure where to look for the issue. I have not reset the router yet, there's between 10 and 30 devices connected to this router at one time and I'd hate to redo them all. Prepared to do so if needed.

What's next? 

Please let me know if there's any additional information needed to help.

Thanks,

An Exhausted Father

Setting your C6220 for modem only mode is the correct starting point. Recommend your disable QoS.

All throughput testing should be done via the Ookla installable application on either a computer or mobile device.  It is available from the Windows or mobile device play store.  Any throughput testing done from within the modem user interface should be considered for entertainment purposes only.

Since you have been making changes, you need to do a full power down (pull the power cord) on both the modem and the router.  Let them set for a few minutes then do a sequential power up and boot starting with the modem.  Connect the power and give the modem ample time to boot and stabilize.  Now power up the router and give it ample time to boot and stabilize.  Connect your computer or mobile devices and check the throughput via the Ookla application.  Do not use a web browser and a web location for testing.  If you are connecting through the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band, your download will be limited to the 100-125 Mbps range.  The 5 GHz band should match the tier you are purchasing from your ISP.

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

do you have a screensnip of the cable connections page and event logs from the C6220?
That helps check the upstream/downstream connection

Message 3 of 8
MasterBanana
Aspirant

Out of curiosity, I connected my wifi card on with this PC and got full speeds up and down. 

Drivers have been verified on the currently isolated PC. Running Intel Killer E2200.

I'm continuing to keep an eye on the WiFi speeds from another computer out in my garage which has the worst chance of success. Running a USB card I get 39d and 31u, through a staircase, two walls, a car, a fridge and a toolbox.

Message 4 of 8
MasterBanana
Aspirant

From the information I've gathered from the issue, it seems to only be related to the output from the router, not the modem. 

Would this still help?

Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@MasterBanana wrote:

If you do a web search for the Intel Killer E2200 hardware, you will find pages and pages of problems associated with the Intel drivers and Intel Performance software suite.

In Windows, uninstall all Intel software and drivers associated with the E2200 hardware.  Go in to the control panel - device manager - network adapters and uninstall the device.  Restart Windows and it will install the Microsoft driver for the E2200.

Message 6 of 8
MasterBanana
Aspirant

Well dang it, that was it! Thank you, @Kitsap 

I'm happy to report it wasn't a Netgear issue. I'm glad my loyalties remain.

If this issue arises again, I will revisit the drivers. I know there were a couple other devices performing inconsistently. If I have checked those parameters with no results, I will return.

Thanks,

A Less Exhausted Father

Message 7 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@MasterBanana wrote:

Well dang it, that was it! Thank you, @Kitsap 

I'm happy to report it wasn't a Netgear issue. I'm glad my loyalties remain.

If this issue arises again, I will revisit the drivers. I know there were a couple other devices performing inconsistently. If I have checked those parameters with no results, I will return.

Thanks,

A Less Exhausted Father

I am glad you got it working.  The sequence of events I listed has corrected Ethernet upload problems on at least six machines I have worked on.  For the record, they were all Dell machines.  As of this writing, Intel has not updated either their drivers or software.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7