× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Firmware V1.0.1.56_1.0.23 needs work!

Orbi
Star

RAX80 Firmware V1.0.1.56_1.0.23 needs work!

Not even sure where to post this since my model number is RAX80.  Anyway, the QOS sucks, and the DHCP must be screwed on firmware Firmware V1.0.1.56_1.0.23.  Or the http interface doesn't update if you hit refresh. 

Tried to call tech support to tell them problems with the firmware but I get level 1 telling me if I tried resetting the router. 

1.  If I set QOS to Highest it some how resets for the device and even changes the label i've assigned to it.

2.  Problems with my smart devices because the iptables must not update correctly for wired devices. 

3.  Labels assigned with edit button on administration/attached devices wont save for some reason.

Bought this new router cause all the advertising says it can handle more smart devices, seems to crash all the time.  I'm ready to to send it back.

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router,R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 109
microchip8
Master

Return it. You're basically beta testing at the moment. Don't immediately jump on the latest and greatest but wait for things to mature, especially on the firmware side. It's also a model based on a draft and does not support a few things in the draft - no idea if they'll be added eventually

Message 2 of 109
schumaku
Guru

@Orbi wrote:

Not even sure where to post this since my model number is RAX80. 

How comes the RAX80 (AX8) and RAX120 (AX12) are still not available as models to select here on the Nighthawk Routers community section, dear @ChristineT ?

@Orbi wrote:

Anyway, the QOS sucks, and the DHCP must be screwed on firmware Firmware V1.0.1.56_1.0.23.  Or the http interface doesn't update if you hit refresh. 

1.  If I set QOS to Highest it some how resets for the device and even changes the label i've assigned to it.

2.  Problems with my smart devices because the iptables must not update correctly for wired devices. 

3.  Labels assigned with edit button on administration/attached devices wont save for some reason.

Why do I don't wonder for a second? All foir items listed read like a fil-rouge of random issues Netgear has with many different consumer routers for a longer time - not to much specific to the RAX80 (AX8). Issues come and go and return with firmware updates. Worst firmware quality in the consumer router market - not acceptable for expensive leading edge Nighthawk routers. Return it, and post negative feedback. Otherwise Netgear will never wake up. 

@Altsai @Christian_R make this consumer business unit do a proper job! It's just beyond of just ridiculous.

Message 3 of 109
filasd
Initiate

I have the exact same issues on firmware 1.0.1.40. Just upgraded to 1.0.1.56 today. Attached devices labels don't work. Some stick around, some revert to default immediately, and most revert back to default over a period of time. I can only get maybe 20% of the labels to stick. Likewise, QOS settings sometimes revert. 

I have not had any issues with wired devices, but I have endless problems with wireless devices. After a period of time (2-3 weeks), it's like DHCP just goes to crap. Devices can't/don't get addresses anymore (I use static reservations for my devices), and gradually all of my wifi devices drop offline until practically nothing in the house works. The only solution is to manually reboot the router. That fixes everything for a couple weeks. Wired devices work fine, it's something with wifi only.

Likewise, the only solution I've been given is reset the router and set everything up all over again.  

Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 4 of 109
myersw
Master

No surprise on these issues. These have been on the older routers and not fixed so why would we expect them to be fixed now? 

Netgear engineers have not been able to address the on going issues so why would they suddenly be fixed now? 

If within return window do it and get something else, IMHO.

Message 5 of 109
schumaku
Guru

@filasd wrote:

Likewise, the only solution I've been given is reset the router and set everything up all over again.  

Good luck, and be prepared Netgear will ask you for a factory reset as part as their support scripts. Same problem for several generations of Netgear routers - Nighthawk, Orbi, now Nighthawk AX, ... figure. @ChristineT  @Christian_R  @Altsai how comes Netgear does ignore the community users that baldy - for years?

Message 6 of 109
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Orbi & filasd, 

I would like for support to get in contact with you/have them follow up on your case for further investigation. Please send me a PM with your contact info and case number (if applicable).

~Christian 

Message 7 of 109
pure_x01
Aspirant

I bought the router a couple of days ago and it freezes 3 times a day. Im running this firmware. I have put my old router back until i can get this fixed. If you compare the pricepoint of routers to other types of hardware the quality of routers is a **bleep**show. The firmware thing has gotten out of hand where things are pushed out with little quality control. I am really disapointed in this purchase. I contacted support but apperantly the normal support does not handle RAX routers for some reason and someone is going to contact me by email.  Its ok with minor bugs but since now days a whole family with devices, computers, home automation relies on a stedy connection to the internet its not acceptable to freeze several times per day. It just drops all connections and is not possible to contact it.

Message 8 of 109
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pure_x01 - Please send me a message with your case number. I'd like to help with getting your support case on track. 

~Christian 

Message 9 of 109
bgunther64
Tutor

Same issue with me.... Wireless devices lose connectivity in a short period of time. My home full of virtual assistants is dead in the water. Had a ticket with Netgear and they said over a week ago they knew of the issue and for me to wait patiently. My router is now over 30 days old and cannot be returned to best buy. It is useless to me as is. When will we see a new firmware?? Why the silence on this matter??? Please help!
Message 10 of 109
necrocis
Guide

I'm experiencing issues as well. I had a prior issue with authentication with wireless because of my password's format. Once I changed it based on recommendations here it worked fine until this new firmware. I have to power cycle it once a week now to restore WiFi access. If they don't fix it soon I'm rolling back; they need to actually test updates prior to release.
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 109
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello necrocis - Have you contacted support regarding your issue? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 12 of 109
BubbleCat
Star

Just created an account to chime in here:

I bought my RAX80 about a month and a half ago. Things have been mostly, OK. I updated to the most recent firmware here, and have had constant disconnects. The router lights show connected to internet, but none of my devices can connect to the wireless network, and my wired connections are dropped entirely.

Pretty let down so far for a $400 router 😕 

Message 13 of 109
necrocis
Guide

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello necrocis - Have you contacted support regarding your issue? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

No, I reverted the router back to v1.0.1.40_1.0.22 and waiting to see if it exhibits the same symptom. I've been using the factory default WiFi password, but my own SSID (Battery Garden East). The LAN connections never drops, only WiFi. I also noticed if a device doesn't leave the wireless range it will stay connected but if it any device needs to reauthenticate it'll state invalid password. This is slighty different to what I was experiencing prior, before I had to literally change my WiFI password, with v1.0.1.56_1.0.23 a P/C corrects the issue. 

Message 14 of 109
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello necrocis - Thank you for the update. Curious to know how reverting back has turned out for you. 

Hi Bubblecat - Have you gotten a chance to contact support for your newly purchase device? https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

~Christian 

Message 15 of 109
BubbleCat
Star

@Christian_R ,

I haven't contacted support. I have reverted my firmware about 5 days ago and my disconnects have pretty much ceased. There was one instance where I manually had to power cycle the router, but since then no drop outs or disconnects. I'll definitely will be skipping V1.0.1.56_1.0.23 

Message 16 of 109
necrocis
Guide

Zero issues since reverting, I was going to let it bake until Friday.
Message 17 of 109
necrocis
Guide

@BubbleCat What version did you roll back to?
Message 18 of 109
BubbleCat
Star

Message 19 of 109
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi necrocis & BubbleCat - Thank you for the update. 

~Christian 

Message 20 of 109
myersw
Master

New product like this should have not needed revision to older firmware. Netgear really needs to get their act together especially when it is their new flagship product. Fire the 3rd party folks and bring the firmware back in house. There does not seem to be any testing before firmware is released. With other products the same obvious problems are present from update to update. That should not happen. Obvious problems should be fixed by testing and applying fixes before release. 

Message 21 of 109
Polar1823
Initiate

Hi all 

I am having this router for 2 months and lateast firmware V1.0.1.56_1.0.23, the VPN cert download just don't work at all which bring you to the loop of password prompt. Moreover, the WIFI/LAN connection is not stable which I frequently need to reboot the router by power cycle. I wonder if this firmware is faulty and would like to know how to revert back to older firmware. I am very disappointed on Netgear and this router is not cheap at all!

Regards,

Ken 

Message 22 of 109
SereneStorm
Aspirant

Same here with the firmware issues. tested multiple times. 

first off with the VPN Cert download, there is a workaround. If you have Remote Managment on , turn it off. 

Speeds.. with QOS, Traffic Meter, Access Control all OFF. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Firmware- V1.0.1.56_1.0.23

Down - 419
UP - 430

Firmware- V1.0.1.40_1.0.22
Down - 945
Up - 754

I have been back and forth with the firmware several times. checking different settings. 

It will not work. 

Message 23 of 109
schumaku
Guru

Netgear at it's best again @Christian_R  @ChristineT - feed these issues to the people in charge please!!!

@SereneStorm wrote:

first off with the VPN Cert download, there is a workaround. If you have Remote Managment on , turn it off.  

Nice find, obviously a recursion - happened several times over the years on other Netgear routers.

@SereneStorm wrote:

Speeds.. with QOS, Traffic Meter, Access Control all OFF. ... 

That's the no so nice part ...

Message 24 of 109
StaticLNX
Star

This router needs an telnet/SSH option like most Nighthawk routers on the debug page in my opinion.

Message 25 of 109
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7