× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Incredibly Frustrating Issues

Zane_C
Aspirant

RAX80 Incredibly Frustrating Issues

Purchased a Netgear RAX80 router and a Netgear CM1000 modem several months ago now to upgrade my setup. For months after the initial set up things have worked perfectly fine and smoothly, however the past couple of months an incredibly frustrating issue has started. On both wired and wireless devices, connection will seemingly be completely dropped at various points. On desktop, which I use a wired ethernet connection for, frequently when connecting to a website everything will stop loading for a minute before returning a DNS probe NX domain error. After reloading, the site loads up immediately with no issues whatsoever. On mobile, connection will frequently (at least twice a day) stop completely, and will not return until I turn disconnect and reconnect to the wifi network. Afterwards it loads completely fine as if there were no issue. I have no idea what started this issue, it started out of nowhere from memory after having worked fine for months. Any ideas how I can fix this issue?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
AzoriaArt
Aspirant

Re: RAX80 Incredibly Frustrating Issues

I'm having the exact same issues on my RAX120v2.  Fresh out of the box, nothing but random reboots.  Firmware 1.2.0.16
Factory reset 3 times at the request of NetGear Techs.  Last reset I manually pushed Firmware 1.2.0.16 to the device, still having the same issue.
Lossing all connection both hardwired and broadcast randomly.
Still waiting for some sort of proper answer other than "reset/reset/reset"

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

@Zane_C How frequently is it happening? 

when it goes down, are you able to access the routers gui? 

What firmware are you on? 

Have you tried a different DNS provider? 

Message 3 of 11
Zane_C
Aspirant

Happens usually about two or three times a day per device, from what i can tell it is usually device specific, all other devices work as normal even if one is having issues. Haven’t tried to get into the router gui during these issues, they’re usually very short and intermittent. Firmware is the latest one currently available, i can get an exact version number if need be. I haven’t tried any DNS options besides what came default, which was working fine initially.
Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

A firmware number might help.

have you noticed if its specific to 1 or 2 devices? 

Or do they all eventually have it happen?

Message 5 of 11
Zane_C
Aspirant

Firmware version is V1.0.3.106_1.0.50. I’m almost positive i’ve updated the firmware a couple of times since the issue started as well.
I mainly have noticed it on my personal desktop and phone, haven’t noticed or experienced it personally on other devices but they also aren’t used nearly as frequently.
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

I would try using a different dns like googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1

another thing to try is checking your IPv4/6 setting and enable it if not. 

Message 7 of 11
Zane_C
Aspirant

I'd rather continue using the router DNS as opposed to google or cloudflare public DNS if possible, but I can try those and see if I still have issues if you want. Which ipv4/6 setting are you referring too? The only IPv6 setting I could find was set to disabled, should I set it to auto config? Don't have much experience in this area haha.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

the "routers dns" is actually your isp's dns. (unless you've built your own dns server)

You sure can use it but its worth checking to see if your isp's dns is having issues 

Message 9 of 11
Zane_C
Aspirant

Yeah that's what I was wondering, it's hard to tell since my isp has definitely given me many issues in the past, but the issue has been going on long enough now that I assumed it had to be something with the router. I'll try another dns and see if anything gets better. 

Message 10 of 11
gafer43
Aspirant

Yes its really a disturbing issue that is showing here in my device account also please guide how to solve this issue i am trying hard but still i have no proper solution about it.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7