× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 Unstable 5ghz WiFi

Kamarinchev
Tutor

RAX80 Unstable 5ghz WiFi

I have a lot of issues with RAX80 especially with 5Ghz band. When I turn it on the first 15-20 minutes everything is okay, after that the router gets warm and 5Ghz start to disconnect and reconnect, speed is awful I can't load almost anything (Facebook, Youtube ...)

1-RAX 80 Router firmware version is V1.0.1.70_1.0.30

2-Reinsatll firmware V1.0.1.70_1.0.30

2-I tried many restarts and different settings

3-I tried to change different WiFi 5 channels 

4-Enable/Desable MU-MIMMO

5-Enable/Desable  AX option

6-I used SpeedTest and tried to load different web pages from ( MacBook Pro 15 2017 / Asus G751 / Thinkpad Yoga 14 / OnePlus 7T/ Samsung Galaxy S9) but I received bad performance and lost 5Ghz.

Message 1 of 14
PDWhite
Apprentice

I have/had the same problem, among others. The only way to make it go away is to set the 5 GHz band speed to 'up to 2400 Mbps.' To me, this is unsatisfactory because I bought the RAX80 thinking the 4800 Mbps capability would extend the useful life of my investment.

Considering that and the fact that I need to reboot the device once or twice a day because it develops Attention Deficit Disorder and our browsers all hang, I'm returning mine.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 14
PDWhite
Apprentice

This is an update to my previous comments on this thread. Yesterday, I received a Wi-Fi 6 router to replace the horror of an RAX80 I have been struggling to get working for nearly three  months now. First, I shut down the RAX80 and did a reset prior to boxing it to send back. I put the new (not Netgear) router on the shelf, cranked up the truly comprehensive phone-based app to configure it, and then discovered that it was far easier to connect and configure it from my desktop machine. -To make a long story short, this new device works flawlessly and the setup was a breeze. This one does every thing the RAX80 only claims to do, AND it does it very well. It is stable, consistent, and the coverage and response is amazing. 

Sorry to say just what device it is... but the manufacturer's name begins with 'L'.

Message 3 of 14
Bruc3L3r0y
Tutor

Not the RAX80 but I received the RAX15 yesterday. After setting it up, everything was working fine for a couple of hours before I started losing connection to 5ghz on slly devices. Went thru all the same troubleshooting steps including downgrading firmware but nothing worked for more than an hour before the disconnects started happening again. Stumbled onto the forums here and saw all the threads about issues with the AX routers. Decided to pack it up and issue a return.

Went out this morning and bought an AX router from a different brand and it's been stable with no disconnects. My S10 plus has been connected to WiFi 6 and working perfectly. Have always used Netgear routers in the past but until they get their act together I plan to stay away from Netgear for good.
Message 4 of 14
Bruc3L3r0y
Tutor

Not the RAX80 but I received the RAX15 yesterday. After setting it up, everything was working fine for a couple of hours before I started losing connection to 5ghz on all my devices. Went thru all the same troubleshooting steps including downgrading firmware but nothing worked for more than an hour before the disconnects started happening again. Stumbled onto the forums here and saw all the threads about issues with the AX routers. Decided to pack it up and issue a return.

Went out this morning and bought an AX router from a different brand and it's been stable with no disconnects. My S10 plus has been connected to WiFi 6 and working perfectly. Have always used Netgear routers in the past but until they get their act together I plan to stay away from Netgear for good.
Message 5 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

And sorry to say reading all the reviews this old AX firmware in all AX routers is having issues with AX speeds.

No it`s  your stuff not theirs they all say. B>S>. I read some even thinking of bringing a class action lawsuit in this forum.

$600 routers under performing what> yep read it ihere in the forums.

Message 6 of 14
MacauBBS
Star

Install 1.0.1.64 version, you can solve many problems

Message 7 of 14
PDWhite
Apprentice

I have been using Netgear routers and switches for year and they have always lived up to their specifications, and they were dependable. Not so with The RAX80. I've just returned the 2nd replacement and purchased an AX router from another manufacturer. It has been running for two days, now. After configuration, there has not been a peep, hiccup, or misfire. The difference in stability and coverage between this new router and the RAX80 is night from day. In addition, I have a collection of Wi-Fi analysis tools, and graphically, the difference is enormous.

Message 8 of 14
PDWhite
Apprentice

Having support telling you to change this or that and finally back again and if that doesn't work, they tell you to load an older version of the firmware and then it's a new card game. It's all Deja-vu...

I have been using Netgear routers and switches for years and they have always lived up to their specifications, and they were dependable. Not so with The RAX80. I've just returned the 2nd replacement and purchased an AX router from another manufacturer. It has been running for two days, now. After configuration, there has not been a peep, hiccup, or misfire. The difference in stability and coverage between this new router and the RAX80 is like night from day. In addition, I have a collection of Wi-Fi analysis tools, and graphically, the difference is enormous.

Friends should not let friends buy RAX80s.

Message 9 of 14
vishalniit
Aspirant

Same issue unstable 5G band.

Message 10 of 14
dj2819
Apprentice

Does anyone have a solution for this? I been pulling my hair for the past month trying to find a solution for my RAX120. Random devices on the 5Ghz band lose connection where the OS says its connected but there is no access to the network (locally or external) and the device isn't pingable on the network.

Things I tried:

1. Downgrade all the way to .114, upgrade all the the way to .122 firmware with factory resets
  2. AP mode with 2 different routers
  3. Change DHCP time to stress the network
  4. New replacement unit from Amazon
  5. Disable AX, enable MIMO, Disable AX and MIMO, enable AX and disable MIMO
  6. Switch all devices to 2.4ghz band. Then some devices on the 2.4ghz band started experiencing the same issue but much less frequently (might have something to do with the number of devices)
  7. Factory reset with new SSID.

God Netgear support is useless, the first phone agent I spoke to was amazing, knew the product and listened to all the steps I performed and deemed the issue get escalated. After that it went downhill where my support ticket got closed (for who knows reason) and then I couldn't get ahold of anyone on the phone because they all hung up. I had to write a angry message to get a new support ticket and someone who would take the issue seriously but even then I provided all the information I know, debug logs, etc but I doubt anyone is going to do anything.

So F Netgear, I have an L***** WiFi 6 router coming in Tuesday and June 1st will be the end of Netgear for me if this issue doesn't have a solution. Can't believe after a decade of flawless products it came to an end like this with the R8500 with random disconnects and now this RAX line... the R8000 was the last router from Netgear I owned that actually worked....

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 11 of 14
LElzie
Initiate

Firrmware version v1.0.2.76_1.0.35

I am still having a nightmare of a time with this router. I can't even walk into the next room without it dropping 5g and telling me connected with no internet or dropping all together. The 2.4 is working with no issues.

My router is 5ft off the floor on its own shelf. I have moved it around and nothing better.

I have reset the router, and have also done different SSIDs hoping that would help but nothing. I went back to my old R8000P router and it works flawlessly with 3 bands. What gives. This was a costly investment that I have had nothing but troubles with. If you have any suggestions, that would be great.

Message 12 of 14
dj2819
Apprentice

Have you tried doing a channel scan to see if any are conflicting? I use istumbler on my MacBook. Not sure what the Windows alternative is. At least you can narrow that down.

Also here are the questions Netgear support asked me when I told them about the issue (not like they replied to any of my answers in a week...):

1. May i know who is your ISP, brand and model of your modem?
2. May i know your current network topology/setup?
3. How long and often is the disconnection?
4. Is 2.4 GHz network and wired connection from the router not affected of the disconnection?
5. How many devices are connected to the 2.4 and 5 GHz?
6. When WiFi is down, are you remained connected to the router's WiFi name with no internet access or are you literally disconnected from the WiFi name and had to manually reconnect?
7. Will 5 GHz disappears from the WiFi list when there's disconnection?
8. Is there still disconnection on 5 GHz even when connected near the router?
9. Are devices still have valid IP addresses during disconnection?
10. Is there still disconnection even if there's only one device connected to the 5 GHz?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 13 of 14
LElzie
Initiate

Nice call out on the channel check.

Did not think to try that. The tool that comes with netgear is not as robust as those you can get from an app store.

Once I get a better analyzer I was able to see alot more traffic.

I have chnaged the channel manually and see a better connection quality. I will test it out over the next week and see if in fact that addresses my concern.

THANK YOU

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7