× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Unstable

vjaychowdhary
Aspirant

RAX80 Unstable

I have enabled smart wifi that merged 2.4 and 5 channels but I am facing unstable speeds. I am not sure if it is due to frequent switching of device between 2.4G and 5G or something else. When it is working, it works at good speeds but constant fluctuations are disturbing.
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 Unstable

some homes don't function well for smart connect. Its half pointless in my area due to 2.4ghz interference. My 2.4ghz speeds are bad because there's so many networks and the router tends to stick devices on the 2.4ghz a lot. 

so I don't use it when I'm running a regular router. 

Have you noticed wireless issues with it disabled? 

Message 2 of 4
MatttyD
Tutor

Have had my RAX80 for 6 weeks now, and has been unstable since installing it. We have about 10 devices connected to it (iphone, iPad, Macbooks, etc.). and all have experienced unstability - sometimes it works great, othertimes not at all. Wired devices are all fine - great speeds and reliability. 

Just got off phone with support: 888.638.4327 (here's to counteracting their attempts to make it so flippin' hard to find a number to get help!).  Here's what their tech support had me do:

* Disable Smart Connect

* Change the 2.4 channel from Auto to 09

* Change the 5.0 channel from Auto to 44

* Change WAN Setup's MTU size from 1500 to 1460

* Download firmware (version 1.0.1.70... same version I already have) and update it... basically flash the ROM). 

Now, I'll wait to see if this improves anything. If it doesn't, we'll try a hardware reset (paperclip in the hole). If that doesn't improve things, I'll be exchanging/returning this POS. BTW, the tech did say they've had many reports of problems like this and their engineering team is working on it. 😉 

Message 3 of 4
MatttyD
Tutor

Reporting back... the config changes I made back in Feb per notes above seemed to help and I had stable internetw connection for a while. Unfortunately, the router is having connection problems again - this time with both wired and wireless connections. I posted on a more recent support thread with others reporting what I think is the same issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX80-keeps-dropping/m-p/1898765#M...

I also just filed a support request with Netgear. My patience is definitely growing thin with this device!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7