× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 WIFI shows OFF won't broadcast but shows radios on

4redstars
Guide

RAX80 WIFI shows OFF won't broadcast but shows radios on

Last week i was working from home and the wifi just stopped broadcasting. I power cycled the device and nothing. What's strange is in the login window it shows WIFI OFF. But the check boxes are on for enable wireless radio. I've factory reset it, I've power cycled, I've downgraded the firmware but nothing changes the wifi to on. 

it's a pretty expensive paper weight at the moment. 

V1.0.3.102_1.0.48

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

What about the wifi LEDs on the thing?

Remember, the WiFi LED on the top doubles as a switch.

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

and the wifi on/off button needs to be pushed and held for 2 seconds

Message 3 of 9
4redstars
Guide

The WIFI LEDs are lit, no broadcast. I've pushed the buttons on and off multiple times hoping it was a software bug but nothing. 

The Wireless just crashed hard and I can't bring it back up. 

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

How old is it? It should have a 1 year warranty if purchased new (longer in some regions). 

You can click on "mynetgear" at the top. Register an account and the device. That should let you check warranty and start RMA if its still in warranty. 

Message 5 of 9
4redstars
Guide

Thanks. I think I'll have to, I just wanted to try flushing the device of its firmware and trying again almost treating it like it's bricked but I guess there may not be a way to rescue a device. 

I'll start the RMA in a bit. 

Message 6 of 9
4redstars
Guide

Just called support after opening a ticket. They were adamant it was a configuration issue even though it stopped working on its own and I've factory reset it multiple times without any fix. Still shows the WIFI on the home page as off, the WIFI LED is still blinking, there is no wifi being broadcast from the device and there is no special configuration on it. I'm at a loss with a very expensive router that stopped workign on its own. 

Does anyone have any low level firmware loaders or any alternative firmware to try and get the wifi back on?

Message 7 of 9

@4redstars wrote:

They were adamant it was a configuration issue even though it stopped working on its own and I've factory reset it multiple times without any fix.

Heaven only knows how they determined that.

A few things to try. The symptoms you see, especially the strange behaviour in the interface, could be down to some corruption in the firmware. You may have carried out the standard factory reset, but what about the recovery reset?

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

You could also try reflashing with the current firmware. (Get a fresh copy as a belt and braces move.) Again, that might overwrite any slightly broken code in the firmware.

Message 8 of 9
4redstars
Guide

Thank you, I will try all of your steps. I remember doing the 30 and 30 when I was trying out 3rd party firmware on my older routers years ago. 

Won't have time during my work day but I will try this as soon as I'm out. 

I'm absolutely convinced it's corrupted software like you referenced.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7