× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Wired Ethernet Speeds are terrible

Scotty777
Tutor

RAX80 Wired Ethernet Speeds are terrible

Firmware Version V1.0.3.106_1.0.50

Speed Tested with Speedtest.net and withing the Nighthawk App on my iPhone11Max with the latest Software and using the same server that is 12 miles from my home. 

This Router worked like a CHAMP when purchased in August of 2020, wired and wireless speeds were near max capacity for my ISP (which is not great but we live in a rural area) and the whole family was very happy. Several firmware updates later and the Ethernet speed is complete trash. I seached this forum and found a couple of threads that seemed to address this issue. However, upon performing the actions suggested, Toggling QoS, Factory Reseting and they toggling QoS, rebooting many, many times, this issue remains.

Speedtest via Ethernet 

Ping 27, Download 17.48, Upload 2.14

Speedtest via iPhone using Speedtest App

Ping 28, Download 117.3, Upload 11.0

Speedtest via Nighthawk App

Ping 26, Download 122, Upload 10.2

Not sure what else to do at this point. I am super disappointed in this Router. I expected much much more from Netgear but it seems like every router I own of thiers has issues with firmware updates that break other things. 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX80 Wired Ethernet Speeds are terrible

Did you ever try downgrading the firmware a version or 2? 

And if you do change the firmware, make sure to do a factory reset with a clean install (not from a backup configuration). 

I'd also advise any firmware changes be done over a hardwired connection. 

What modem do you have? 

Message 2 of 8
Scotty777
Tutor

I'm not entirely sure how to downgrade the firmware, maybe I can find that on here somewhere. I've done all firmware updates via a wired connection (That I recall anyway, I prefer to use my computer for most things vice phone apps.) If I do not have the older version of the firmware saved locally is an easy way to obtain the older versions?

The router is a NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Sream AX8 WiFi6 Router. AX6000

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can download it from the support site. Click on downloads, then view previous versions.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rax80.aspx

to install it, just follow the manual firmware update  process but use the older firmware and not the newer version. 

I'd recommend doing so over a hardwired connection and factory resetting afterwards. 

Message 4 of 8
Scotty777
Tutor

Thank you for the input! I will have to wait until I have a good window to try and go back (work and kid's school at home right now). Hopefully going back a couple versions will help. I will update 

Message 5 of 8
Scotty777
Tutor

Dropped back a couple firmware versions and performed a factory reset, no joy, router ethernet connections (I tried them all) are still throttled way back when compared to the wireless connections. I'm going to buy a new cable and try that I suppose. Although I've never experienced an ethernet cable to go "partially" bad.  

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

I've had a cable go partially bad but it dropped if from 1gig to 100mbps. 

Its worth a shot though. 

Message 7 of 8
Scotty777
Tutor

Unfortunately, it looks like it’s the router. I tried 2 different cables, 2 different laptops, moving to all the ethernet ports, with similar results. Too bad, I really like this router (Wirelessly) but I require a reliable wired connection as well.  

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series