× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 keeps dropping

csp86
Follower

RAX80 keeps dropping

I have had my router lose internet connection to both wired and wireless devices pretty much daily. I have to reboot the router to make it work again. I have seen similar posts but no real solutions. I am pretty disappointed since this is a $400 router. I already disabled smart connect, that did not help. Seems odd that it also loses internet connection to wired connections. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, I also updated to the latest firmware a few days ago and that did not help either. Firmware Version V1.0.2.76_1.0.35

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello csp86, 

Have you gotten a chance to contact our Support Team regarding your issue(s)? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 7
MatttyD
Tutor

I have been having the exact same issue: internet connection (both wired and wireless) drops multiple times per day. What's really strange is that some web pages load file, while other return a "page can't be found" error (HTTP 404). When I retry the page a minute or so later, it loads fine.  This makes me think this is a DNS problem, or the way the router communicates with DNS servers.

Message 3 of 7
MatttyD
Tutor

I have been having the exact same issue: internet connection (both wired and wireless) drops multiple times per day. What's really strange is that some web pages load file, while other return a "page can't be found" error (HTTP 404). When I retry the page a minute or so later, it loads fine.  This makes me think this is a DNS problem, or the way the router communicates with DNS servers.

My firmware is current: Version V1.0.1.70_1.0.30

I called support about this problem in mid-February 2020 (case 42312470), we reset the router and changed some settings, including turning off SmartConnect, and that seemed to solve the problem for a week or so, but the problem started up again, and now that I'm working entirely from home, it's more noticeable.

Message 4 of 7
dj2819
Apprentice

Spent a month trying to figure this out with the RAX120, no luck and support has no idea. Would recommend either waiting for some magic firmware update or do what I did and return it for some other brand (all of Netgear's latest offerings have some issue similar to this). I switched to the Linksys Velop MX5 and it worked perfectly out of the box.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
LouisMorel
Aspirant

Same problem here. Have Firmwareversie V1.0.2.76_1.0.35.

What you all did, I did also. Nothing helps. Its a shame that Netgear do nothing about it.

I have the problems with an older version, the Netgear Nighthawk. Same problem.

I bought the RAX80 to solf this problem, but the problem is still there.

I think I switch to Asus. A colleague has good experiance with that. 

Bye bye Netgear.

Message 6 of 7
Flipando
Aspirant

Same problem here! They just conned me I to signing a gear head contract saying they could help. Then I find out after 2 hours on the phone and a day later the problem was still there. I have spent the last 3 months trying to figure it out and I finally got fed up with it and called o pay to find out today that I am 1 month past my warrantee. Glad o spent the money on the support to fix my janky $400 router!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7