× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 - unstable and slow

xxtensazenxx
Guide

RAX80 - unstable and slow

I just bought the RAX80 today.... NOTHING but problems.

Setup - I have Gigabit Fiber internet. Old router I got ~550mbps wireless and 989mbps wired easily. Stable with few fluctuations.

With this new router my wi-fi speed (EVEN with AX on 5GHZ) is 110mbps...... Webpages and youtube videos took forever to load (slower then my mobile LTE).... the wi-fi crashed often. 4K video took forever to buffer  (which I find Ironic with how this is supposed to be a 8K compatable Router) (previous router it barly took time to buffer)

The night hawk app on Android is a mess too. Anytime I make a change to the setting it just hangs at "Checking if you're connected to the network... which I was) and it kept crashing.... setup for the router was a pain and I had to restart the process multiple times due to erros on simple steps such as setting passwords....

I am on the latest firmware, and have of course tried the go to suggestion from support of "Factory Resetting" the router.
QOS is disabled, and all the devices I tested got much faster speeds on the previous router I (have). 

In no way is this router providing a $399 experince..... This router gave me throwbacks to how buggy routers were back when they first started coming out... 

I was avoiding netgear since my last router I got from them was a dud and was giving the brand a second chance but this did not insill much confidince in me. This thing is far from a finished product and should have never been released, Wi-Fi 6 routers are still too new to be stable. I dont even know what to do, as I'm probably just going to return it. I need a stable connection, as I have server related things running, 4K streaming, gaming, etc. I just expected more 

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
xxtensazenxx
Guide

What's the point of having the forums if the only offical respone is "Please contact our support" who just reads you instructions from the FAQ page anyway? None of the support "tech's" have any type of advanced knowledge..... Truly the lowest quality support i've ever seen

But anyway, after about 5 Factory resets and letting my ONT (VZ Fios) reset over night I am now getting stable performance.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello - If you recently purchased the device, we recommend contacting our Support Team as your device is provided with 90 days of complimentary support. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Furthermore, have you gotten a chance to factory reset the router?

~Christian 

Message 2 of 7
Steveborough
Tutor

Same issues here, wired and wireless, connections dropping in a wired home is awful. Hey Google, turn on the lights...crickets! 

Spoke with Support today who recommended downgrading the firmware to .58 amd setting 5Ghz channel to 161, will try that, likely in vain this evening before i send this P0S back! 

Message 3 of 7
GabboCH
Apprentice

Did the support team accept there are problems with the current firmware which are being investigated?

I have exactly the same problems as you & have tried all the suggestions.

I have Smart Connect disabled, AX disabled, QoS disabled & I can watch the Wifi connect-disconnect-connect-disconnect on my phone all the time.

All of my devices seem to constantly loose connection & things like my printer & smart TV have to be added again to the network before they will work.

The only responce I have seen from Netgear about all of these problems is "If you purchased less than 90days ago use your free support".

It would be nice if there was a thread which listed known issues & an expected fix date so at least there is some confidence that it will work one day or at least a message to say "we are investigating...."

Message 4 of 7
xxtensazenxx
Guide

What's the point of having the forums if the only offical respone is "Please contact our support" who just reads you instructions from the FAQ page anyway? None of the support "tech's" have any type of advanced knowledge..... Truly the lowest quality support i've ever seen

But anyway, after about 5 Factory resets and letting my ONT (VZ Fios) reset over night I am now getting stable performance.

Message 5 of 7
GabboCH
Apprentice

Good to hear you have a solution.
Do you have a link to download the old firmware?

Are you running with combined 2.4/5ghz on the same SSID (Smart Connect)?

Gabbo
Message 6 of 7
E999
Guide

After a few months of these problems, I finally realized my tvs had good wifi speed, but not my computers.  Today, I went to the computer manufacturer, and found out many people have solved this problem not with reboots or anything, but by,

Deleting an application on my computer called smartbyte and the drivers associated with it, in which I didn't even know this program was installed on my computer.  After doing this, on both my computer and laptop, problem fixed 100%.

I recommend trying this.  Hopefully this is the problem with most.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7