× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX80 wired connection slow - reposted from general router

Pad70
Tutor

RAX80 wired connection slow - reposted from general router

Nighthawk RAX80 replaced a Nighthawk R8500.   Cable modem is the CM1000.   Provider is Cox gigablast at 1 gb/s down and 35 mb/s up.  Setup is plain vanilla with no QOS.   Internal speedtest measures 925 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up so the connection is good.   With wireless turned off and only one computer directly connected to any ethernet port,  speedtest site (on the computer)  measures 470 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up. Tried connecting computer directly to the cable modem and measured 950 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up.  There is definitely a problem with the RAX80 internal gigabit switch.   Performance is half of the rated speed.   Hardware?  Firmware?  Has anyone else seen this?   Suggestions most welcome. 

Follow up - I decided to return the RAX80.   I don't have enough time to be a beta ( or alpha? ) test particpant.   I configured an Orbi in place of the RAX80 and tested the Orbi at 950 mb/s down ( wired ) vs 470 mb/s down ( wired )  for the RAX80.   Clearly the RAX80 internal gigabit switch has issues which should have been caught before first customer ship.   

Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 10
Redtulips7
Luminary

@Pad70 wrote:

Nighthawk RAX80 replaced a Nighthawk R8500.   Cable modem is the CM1000.   Provider is Cox gigablast at 1 gb/s down and 35 mb/s up.  Setup is plain vanilla with no QOS.   Internal speedtest measures 925 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up so the connection is good.   With wireless turned off and only one computer directly connected to any ethernet port,  speedtest site (on the computer)  measures 470 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up. Tried connecting computer directly to the cable modem and measured 950 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up.  There is definitely a problem with the RAX80 internal gigabit switch.   Performance is half of the rated speed.   Hardware?  Firmware?  Has anyone else seen this?   Suggestions most welcome. 

Follow up - I decided to return the RAX80.   I don't have enough time to be a beta ( or alpha? ) test particpant.   I configured an Orbi in place of the RAX80 and tested the Orbi at 950 mb/s down ( wired ) vs 470 mb/s down ( wired )  for the RAX80.   Clearly the RAX80 internal gigabit switch has issues which should have been caught before first customer ship.   

Did you do Factory reset?Did you update FW?

Message 2 of 10
Pad70
Tutor

Factory reset done.  Latest firmware installed.   That was done before the device was brought on line.  So none of the usual suspects were helpful.  The unit, as delivered, with latest firmware simply did not perform.  

Message 3 of 10
Redtulips7
Luminary

@Pad70 wrote:

Factory reset done.  Latest firmware installed.   That was done before the device was brought on line.  So none of the usual suspects were helpful.  The unit, as delivered, with latest firmware simply did not perform.  

I see..you did everything right...

Message 4 of 10
Pad70
Tutor

I received an email from Netgear support after creating a case.   The email says - and I quote - "I apologies for the inconvenience, but the device is out of my support scope, so i would request you to call us on ........ for futher assistance."   Seriously - tech support isn't up to speed on this and now I have to play telephone tag?   Netgear - get your act together!   Ship only fully tested products with trained support staff.   I don't have time to waste on a $400 device that I can simply return.   So the router goes back tomorrow.   

Message 5 of 10
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Pad70 - Send me a PM with your case number and I can assist with support following up on your case.

~Christian 

Message 6 of 10
jokermax
Aspirant

same issue here with r9000, sitting  on 150/150 fiber and get 100/150 when go through the router

help!

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@jokermax wrote:

same issue here with r9000, sitting  on 150/150 fiber and get 100/150 when go through the router

That's not any of these new AX / Wi-Fi 6 routers - use the standard Nighthawk WiFi Routers community, and create a new thread.

FWIW my R9000 here (1.0.4.28, QoS off) does deal easily with a symmetric Gigabit Internet connection, wired LAN speed tests run in the 900...950+ Mbit/s up and downlink.

Message 8 of 10
mike466
Aspirant

which orbi did u get? model number? i have the same problem

@Pad70 wrote:

Message 9 of 10
lestart
Tutor

Betreff: RAX80 wired connection slow - reposted from general router

Unfortunately I have exactly the same problem with my RAX80, I also get to ca. 470 downspeed and have 1 gig fibre. In the router internal speedtest measurement over 900, with a different modem, measurement over 900 with the RAX80 (which is really no bargain) 470, it would be nice if there is a solution. Of course only 1 device with Cat7 was connected during the measurement, directly without switch etc...
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7