× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAXE290 WiFi 6 Speed

AddisonGeek
Aspirant

RAXE290 WiFi 6 Speed

I have a Z Fold3, which can connect via WiFi 6.  While sitting in the same room as the router, the throughput is less on that link (starts at 1.3Gbps, drops to 864Mbps, then back up), whereas the 5G link is 2.4Gbps and stable.  The router firmware is the current version - 1.0.8.64_3.  I have a good internet connection through Spectrum (340Mbps according to Speedtest), so I'm puzzled why the discrepancy between the 2 WiFi bands.

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: RAXE290 WiFi 6 Speed

Ever thought it might be the device instead of the router?
Message 2 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@AddisonGeek wrote:

I have a Z Fold3, which can connect via WiFi 6.  While sitting in the same room as the router, the throughput is less on that link (starts at 1.3Gbps, drops to 864Mbps, then back up), whereas the 5G link is 2.4Gbps and stable.  The router firmware is the current version - 1.0.8.64_3.  I have a good internet connection through Spectrum (340Mbps according to Speedtest), so I'm puzzled why the discrepancy between the 2 WiFi bands.

Some background reading would help with your understanding.  Duckware is a solid reference source.  Maybe start with chapter 11.

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

I cannot tell from your message if you are referring to the 6 GHz frequency band or not.  In real use, the 6 GHz frequency band throughput has proven to be very sensitive to distance.

Message 3 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

In some cases when a device connects, it may connect to the 2.4GHz band, and some more sticky clients may resist band steering attempts for a while.

PS many smartphones will drop the PHY rate significantly when the radio is mostly idle, thus the best way to test the sustained PHY rate, start a download, or stream some video while checking the PHY rate. Another option is using an app such as Analiti to run a speed test. While their servers aren't as fast as speedtest.net, the app offers far more detail about the connection as well as the PHY rate and signal strength each second of a test. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.analiti.fastest.android

Also, if the WiFi router is using is it set to use only non-DFS channels, or if it detects any radar use in the area, then the there is a chance of it dropping to a lower PHY rate if it is unable to use DFS channels at the time.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7