× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE500 Dropping LAN Connections

jf6791
Guide

RAXE500 Dropping LAN Connections

I've had an RAXE500 router with a CM1200 modem for a few months and find various LAN devices (both wired and wireless) dropping connections randomly several times a day.  You can see evidence of this in the router log where IP addresses are constantly being re-issued to almost every device on the network (total of about 20, half wired).  The connections renew automatically every time but are interrupting streaming activity and causing nuisance notifications when monitoring devices drop off/on line.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What kind of CAT# LAN cable is used between the router and devices? CAT6 UTP is recommended.

What kind of LAN devices do you have connected? Brand and model? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router
Or use the ERASE button on the routers web page to factory reset the router:
https://kb.netgear.com/24233/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 2 of 9
jf6791
Guide

V1.0.11.94_2.0.44

What kind of CAT# LAN cable is used between the router and devcies? CAT6 UTP is recommended.

CAT5e for wired devices.  

Tivo Roamio DVR (wired)

Tivo Premiere DVR (wired)

Tivo Bolt+ DVR (wired)

YiEye wireless camera (3)

DLink DCH-S162 water sensor (wireless)

MyQ-9A3 Door Opener (2) (wireless)

Galaxy S9 phone (wireless)

HP Z200 Desktop computer (4) (wired)

HP Zbook17 laptop (wired)

eGauge Energy monitor (wired)

Resol Solar controller (wired)

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

No firmware updates have been available when checked.

Also - the wiring and devices are unchanged from previous RAX120 router which didn't display this issue.

Message 3 of 9
Killhippie
Prodigy

Your router is two firmwares behind the curent, go the the netgear website and look up the RAXE500 and click support, it will show you the latest firmware and you just download it unzip it and then point your router to it and update. Updating via auto update has its issues so I have that turned off, your mileage may vary.

Message 4 of 9

@jf6791 wrote:

V1.0.11.94_2.0.44

As @Killhippie says, your firmware is out of date.

RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.2.13.100 - NETGEAR Support

I step in only to warn about this bit:

@jf6791 wrote:

The on-board or app "check for new firmware" option is flawed.

For some reason it can miss things, so looking at the library for your device is the only reliable check.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned, I'd update your router, the factory reset and setup from scratch. 

I'd also try the following after the reset, Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Also try setting up some IP address reservations for your devices maybe:
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

@jf6791 wrote:

V1.0.11.94_2.0.44

What kind of CAT# LAN cable is used between the router and devcies? CAT6 UTP is recommended.

CAT5e for wired devices.  

Tivo Roamio DVR (wired)

Tivo Premiere DVR (wired)

Tivo Bolt+ DVR (wired)

YiEye wireless camera (3)

DLink DCH-S162 water sensor (wireless)

MyQ-9A3 Door Opener (2) (wireless)

Galaxy S9 phone (wireless)

HP Z200 Desktop computer (4) (wired)

HP Zbook17 laptop (wired)

eGauge Energy monitor (wired)

Resol Solar controller (wired)

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Also - the wiring and devices are unchanged from previous RAX120 router which didn't display this issue.

Message 6 of 9
jf6791
Guide

So we set the DHCP address pool to xxx.xxx.100 to 200 and assigned reserved IPs to all wired and wireless devices.  Also have Access Control turned with "Block all new devices from connecting" checked.  In spite of these we are still seeing IP addresses in the 100-200 range being given out to unknown devices.  Tried searching the MAC addresses of these devices but no vendor comes up.  Any ideas why this is happening and does it represent a security risk,  These devices aren't staying connected for very long since they are never seen on the "Connected Devices" page.

Message 7 of 9
jf6791
Guide

Interesting theory - but nothing is connected to those 3 extra ports on the modem.  I'm assuming these rogue devices are wireless and the concerns are twofold:  1.  Why is the router allowing connection when it's set to not allow new devices and 2.  How/why do these devices have the password?   I do have a couple of MyQ door openers on WiFi - they would have the password - could they be a source?

Message 8 of 9
jf6791
Guide

Good point from the manual re blocking of internet access vs network access.  My theory at this point - based on the time of day they show up -  is these rogue connections are Amazon drivers passing by the house and momentarily connecting to the network in case they need to open the garage door.  The password must be coming from the MyQ device in the opener.

The IP renewals show up in the logs (not app notifications thankfully).  There are a lot fewer of them after putting all devices on reserved IP's.  And the reason why these DHCP assignments in the 100 series stood out.  I put all wired devices in the 002 to 049 group and wireless in 050-099.  

I may end up shutting off the Amazon Key service since changing the wifi password won't make any difference if the MyQ opener just hands it out again.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7