× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAXE500 New Firmware 1.0.12.96 released

@rsun0525 wrote:

Second bug:

After setting the RAXE500 to an Access Point, the Internet option under Basic on the web client is grayed out.  The workaround is to make any setting changes to Internet before you change it from a router to an Access Point.

That is "as designed":

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then again, that KnowledgeBase article is itself inaccurate in places. (It is wrong about the Guest Network.)

Message 26 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

@rsun0525 wrote:

Three (maybe four bugs) bugs I've found with this firmware:

First bug:

WiFi 6E still "crashes", basically new clients cannot connect to the 6E SSID, while existing clients that are already connected to the 6E SSID remain connected, if I disconnect and reconnect and existing client, it can no longer connect to the 6E SSID, etc. the only solution I've come up with is just to reboot the RAXE500 and after it starts up everything is good again.  The 2.4 and 5ghz bands continue to work while the 6E SSID is not allowing new connections.

What channel are you using on 6ghz? 

What 6Ghz supporting devices do you have connected? 

Second bug:

After setting the RAXE500 to an Access Point, the Internet option under Basic on the web client is grayed out.  The workaround is to make any setting changes to Internet before you change it from a router to an Access Point.

What port are you using when your in AP mode? Main Yellow WAN port or the Multi-Gig port? 

Does this happen in both WAN or Multigig ports? 

Third bug:

On the NightHawk app on my mobile device (both on Android and on iPhone), under Settings, Router Settings, Internet Port, it says the "Type" is "Down", so it's not reporting properly as I'm using the 5th port for Internet access and not the "Yellow" port.  My device is setup for Access Point mode (see next potential bug below).

Does the Internet port report status as UP when using the yellow WAN port and not the MultiGig port? 

Fourth bug (maybe):

I have the RAXE500 connected to a Netgear M4250-12M2XF through the 5th port labelled multi gig, it will only detect it as a 1GB connection, I have plugged other devices that are 2.5G capable into the same cable and they all detect at 2.5G, etc.  I set the 5th port up as the Internet port instead of using the Yellow port if that makes any difference in why I'm getting this bug.

Do other mutli gig supporting devices, i.e. PC or other switches connected to the MultiGig port on the RAXE show 2.5Gb or do all devices report the lower 1Gb speed when connected to the RAXE MutliGig port?

Message 27 of 48
rsun0525
Guide

For the 6Ghz stuff I have it set to the following:

Channel: 37(PSC)

Mode: Up to 4800 Mbps

Security Options: WPA3-Personal

I'm using the multi-gig port (5) for the Internet, nothing is plugged into the "Yellow" port.

It reports as Down.

I have other 2.5GB devices plugged into my M4250-12M2XF, I tried multiple ports from the M4250-12M2XF that were all showing 2GB before with the previous devices, but did not plug any other 2.5GB device into the RAXE500, since I'm trying to use it for my main WiFi router, I don't have time to keep my entire home "down" during this process, I can say I'm almost at a point where I want to switch back to my eero 6e pro or Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12 which both worked just fine at 2.5GB with that cable and port, etc. and just accept the RAXE500 is just too buggy and lack of recent firmware updates tells me maybe they've moved on from this device.

Message 28 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

@rsun0525 wrote:

For the 6Ghz stuff I have it set to the following:

Channel: 37(PSC)

Mode: Up to 4800 Mbps

Security Options: WPA3-Personal

What brand and model 6Ghz devices do you have connecting to the 6Ghz radio on the RAXE? 

I'm using the multi-gig port (5) for the Internet, nothing is plugged into the "Yellow" port. Trying to see if the internet port shows same thing if you use this port as a quick test. Then move back to the MG port.

It reports as Down.

I have other 2.5GB devices plugged into my M4250-12M2XF, I tried multiple ports from the M4250-12M2XF that were all showing 2GB before with the previous devices, but did not plug any other 2.5GB device into the RAXE500, since I'm trying to use it for my main WiFi router, I don't have time to keep my entire home "down" during this process, I can say I'm almost at a point where I want to switch back to my eero 6e pro or Asus ZenWiFi Pro ET12 which both worked just fine at 2.5GB with that cable and port, etc. and just accept the RAXE500 is just too buggy and lack of recent firmware updates tells me maybe they've moved on from this device.

Just checking to see if a different 2.5Gb supporting device shows same speed at the MG port, other than the switch your using. I have a Realtek PCI 2.5Gb ethernet card connected to my RAXE, however it's in Bridge mode. I'll check mine in AP mode and see what I find out.

Message 29 of 48
rsun0525
Guide

For my 6Ghz devices, I've got Samsung Galaxy Fold Z5, Samsung Galaxy Flip Z 5, Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 4, Google Pixel 7 Pro, Dell Optiplex 7000 Intel Gen 12 chipset

When I try to switch it to the yellow port, it still detects at 1gb and back to the 5th port and stays 1gb

For the 'bridge mode" you talk about, that's under Wireless settings "use other operation mode" right?  Can you share with me a document why you would do this vs. setting it to Access Point mode?  They can't possibly do the same thing?  The key for me is that I want my firewall to give the IP addresses, so I'm confused if you didn't set it to AP Mode, what would happens if you set it to "bridge mode", as I thought AP mode would turn it off as a router, but not sure bridge mode do under Wireless settings?

Message 30 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

@rsun0525 wrote:

For my 6Ghz devices, I've got Samsung Galaxy Fold Z5, Samsung Galaxy Flip Z 5, Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 4, Google Pixel 7 Pro, Dell Optiplex 7000 Intel Gen 12 chipset

Thank you for this.

When I try to switch it to the yellow port, it still detects at 1gb and back to the 5th port and stays 1gb

What did the status say in the NH app when it was connected to the yellow internet port?

For the 'bridge mode" you talk about, that's under Wireless settings "use other operation mode" right?  Can you share with me a document why you would do this vs. setting it to Access Point mode?  They can't possibly do the same thing?  The key for me is that I want my firewall to give the IP addresses, so I'm confused if you didn't set it to AP Mode, what would happens if you set it to "bridge mode", as I thought AP mode would turn it off as a router, but not sure bridge mode do under Wireless settings?

Bridge mode is wireless bridge mode. Works as a client wireless devices connected to a wifi signal. 

Message 31 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

@rsun0525 wrote:

Three (maybe four bugs) bugs I've found with this firmware:

First bug: TBT

WiFi 6E still "crashes", basically new clients cannot connect to the 6E SSID, while existing clients that are already connected to the 6E SSID remain connected, if I disconnect and reconnect and existing client, it can no longer connect to the 6E SSID, etc. the only solution I've come up with is just to reboot the RAXE500 and after it starts up everything is good again.  The 2.4 and 5ghz bands continue to work while the 6E SSID is not allowing new connections.

Haven't tested this as of yet. Will check this as I get time.

Second bug: NOT A BUG.

SInce the router in AP mode has most of it's router and internet configuration features disabled, NG only chooses to display the informational tiles on this screen when in AP or Bridge mode, thus not a bug:

RAXEInternetMenuUI_APM mode.png

Third bug: NOT A BUG.

On the NightHawk app on my mobile device (both on Android and on iPhone), under Settings, Router Settings, Internet Port, it says the "Type" is "Down", so it's not reporting properly as I'm using the 5th port for Internet access and not the "Yellow" port.  My device is setup for Access Point mode (see next potential bug below).

I did see this once, however, I had not put the WAN cable from my host router into the WAN port. After I moved the cable over to the yellow WAN port, the NH app reported the TYPE as DHCP:

TYPE_DOWN.PNG

This is Router Mode:

TYPE_DHCP_RouterMode.PNG

This is AP mode. Both seen in router mode and in AP mode. 

Currently in AP mode with RAXE connected to a GS110MX multgig switch:

TYPE_DHCP_APMode.PNG

Fourth bug (maybe): Not Reproducing/Not a bug.

I have the RAXE500 connected to a Netgear M4250-12M2XF through the 5th port labelled multi gig, it will only detect it as a 1GB connection, I have plugged other devices that are 2.5G capable into the same cable and they all detect at 2.5G, etc.  I set the 5th port up as the Internet port instead of using the Yellow port if that makes any difference in why I'm getting this bug.

I first tested the RAXE in both Router and AP mode behind a 1Gb LAN switch using the MG port:

RAXE_MGPort_RouterAndAPMode1GbSwitch.png

I then tested the RAXE in AP Mode behind a CAX80 cable modem on it's MP Port: LAN5

CAX80_MGPort_RAXE_RouterAndAPMode.png

And now currently with a NG GS110MX multi gig switch in between the CAX80 and RAXE. 

Both configurations show 2.5Gb on the RAX500 MG port:

RAXE_MGPort_APMode_GS110MX_2_CAX80_MGPort.png

I did remember that to get the MG port to be enabled correctly for AP or Bridge mode, you first have to enabled the MG port on the RAXE while in router mode, once it's enabled there, then you can configure AP or Bridge mode on the RAXE and then connect it up on the MG port.

I'll leave it run so I can observe some 6Ghz behaviors though not sure if I can reproduce anything as I don't have many 6Ghz devices.

Message 32 of 48
rsun0525
Guide

Thanks for this detailed analysis, I will reset to factory defaults again and try to make it work again, the key difference I see is this:

rsun0525_0-1693479844711.png

So somehow I didn't follow something write as my LAN5 (InternetPort) vs WAN(Multi-Gig Port) is different from you.

Message 33 of 48
Killhippie
Prodigy

I’m having a very odd issue with my RAXE500. Basically I can’t use my ISPs DNS. If I do the orange light comes on, it repeatedly says it’s disconnecting from the Internet, even though it doesn’t actually register that in the logs, I think just becomes really slow, or acts like a stale dns, even if I enter them manually, it doesn’t work. However, I can use cloud flare or any other DNS and it works perfectly okay so I’ve got no idea what’s going wrong here, I spoke to my ISP who said there’s nothing wrong at their end. I’ve tried an old are we rax120 and that showed up the same symptoms basically it said there was no Internet but there was but it was excruciatingly slow and it kept dropping Internet connectivity, but that still didn’t show up in the logs , no idea what’s going on why it works on any other DNS service apart from my own ISPs DNS.

Also have Netgear given up on updating any of the Wi-Fi 6/6E router firmware it seems like most devices have been not been updated this year and there are bugs with the RAXE500 that really do need sorting out. It’s a bit like the RAX120 doesn’t have the firmware version that is supposed to be there to fix version v2 issues. It’s still got a version that’s really old that doesn’t fix that issue properly. Are Netgear actually posting new firmware, or is it that they just rushing to get Wi-Fi seven gear out?  

Message 34 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I'm using my RAXE500 with auto detected ISP DNS and Internet LED is on constant WHITE here. My RAXE is connected to a CAX80 cable modem in modem only mode. 

RAXE500InternetUI.png

@Killhippie wrote:

I’m having a very odd issue with my RAXE500. Basically I can’t use my ISPs DNS. If I do the orange light comes on, it repeatedly says it’s disconnecting from the Internet, even though it doesn’t actually register that in the logs, I think just becomes really slow, or acts like a stale dns, even if I enter them manually, it doesn’t work. However, I can use cloud flare or any other DNS and it works perfectly okay so I’ve got no idea what’s going wrong here, I spoke to my ISP who said there’s nothing wrong at their end. I’ve tried an old are we rax120 and that showed up the same symptoms basically it said there was no Internet but there was but it was excruciatingly slow and it kept dropping Internet connectivity, but that still didn’t show up in the logs , no idea what’s going on why it works on any other DNS service apart from my own ISPs DNS.

Also have Netgear given up on updating any of the Wi-Fi 6/6E router firmware it seems like most devices have been not been updated this year and there are bugs with the RAXE500 that really do need sorting out. It’s a bit like the RAX120 doesn’t have the firmware version that is supposed to be there to fix version v2 issues. It’s still got a version that’s really old that doesn’t fix that issue properly. Are Netgear actually posting new firmware, or is it that they just rushing to get Wi-Fi seven gear out?  

Message 35 of 48
strykerzr350
Guide

Why no new firmware? It has almost been a year since we have gotten a firmware update on this product.

Message 36 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Only been 9 months. 

Something not working for your with your RAXE500? 

Message 37 of 48

@strykerzr350 wrote:

Why no new firmware? It has almost been a year since we have gotten a firmware update on this product.

Maybe there is no need. If the current version has no problems and there are no serious security issues that need mending, why put people through the hassle? Updates are not without their own risks.

Message 38 of 48
p0se1d0nX
Star

Exactly! Really don’t want Netgear heading down the same downward spiral path as Asus where they do weekly updates that fixes something and breaks several others in the process. No thank you!

I left Asus years ago and never looked back for this reason. Who the heck needs weekly fw updates? Talk about over kill.
Message 39 of 48

@p0se1d0nX wrote:
Exactly! Really don’t want Netgear heading down the same downward spiral path as Asus where they do weekly updates that fixes something and breaks several others in the process. No thank you!

That's odd. From some of the messages we see here you would think that Asus walks on water in router design.

Message 40 of 48
rsun0525
Guide

So after moving the back and forth between the Internet port and port 5, it's now showing up as 2.5G, so now the last problem I have is once in a while the 6G band "dies" and doesn't accept any new connection, so only way to solve is to reboot.

Message 41 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Been running my RAXE500 for past several days. 

6Ghz still working.

Manual channel 37 for 6Ghz. 

AX210 Intel PCI adapter in a desktop PC:

RAXE500_8DaysUpTime.pngRAXE500_AX210_6GhzAdapter.png

Message 42 of 48
rsun0525
Guide

Remember, I said existing connections would still be connected, it's new ones that can't connect and if my existing connection is disconnected, I can't connect back.

Message 43 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

I had just re-connected my AX210 on this one PC to take that screen capture as the one PC had been ethernet connected instead of wireless.

Message 44 of 48
strykerzr350
Guide

Everything is working fine with it, just the wireless lights and internet lights does not blink as advertised.

Message 45 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Mine don't blink either. NH may have made a change. 

Message 46 of 48
Killhippie
Prodigy

That was explained by Netgear to me,
""Wi-Fi LED is the design instead of the bug. In RAXE500, we connect the LED to GPIO pin which means the LED is control by SW not wifi chip.
So, it’s hard to do the blinking behaviour when traffic go through wifi interface."
Message 47 of 48
Razor512
Prodigy

Yay, new firmware update. RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.2.13.100

Bug Fixes:

Fixes the issue where Anywhere Access doesn’t work when Web Services Management is turned on.
Fixes the issue where the on-board log doesn’t automatically clear after logs are emailed.
Fixes the issue where the download and upload values shown by the built-in speed test are lower than the actual line rate.
Fixes the issue where the 2.4G band doesn’t switch to 40 MHz when 2.4G 20/40 MHz Coexistence is disabled.
Fixes the issue where iPhones cannot connect to the 2.4G guest SSID successfully when WPA3 encryption is enabled.
Fixes the issue where the Nighthawk App shows errors when onboarding with PPPoE.
Fixes the issue where Nighthawk App users see the “Something went wrong” error message when trying to enable Anywhere Access.
Fixes the issue with low performance when Port Aggregation LACP mode is enabled.
Fixes the issue where port forwarding doesn’t work when the port range is set to 20-22.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/RAXE500-New-Firmware-Version-1-2-13-10...

Message 48 of 48
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7