× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAXE500 power adapter replacement................

Tigerwife
Guide

RAXE500 power adapter replacement................

2dc8d00baafbac421c7ea81fbff92f9b[1].jpg

HI Guys

I found that it is NOT possible to buy a replacement adapter for RAXE500 / RAX200

It come with 19V 3.16A 7.4mm PD........ but the biggest problem is the 7.4mm without a middle pin inside the plug....   There are NO replacement adapter can find from market........ 

all 7.4mm PD come with a middle pins which is NOT possible plug into the router......

I wonder why Netgear using such adapter standard.......

who can find a replacement adapter from market???

amazon, ebay and taobao,  NO seller can supply the same adapter.......

What if the adapter out of order?? the router end of life as well???

Best Regards

Tiger

Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
Tigerwife
Guide

Re: RAXE500 power adapter replacement................

net.pngI buy it from Hong Kong / Macau distributor (Winco)

http://www.winco.com.hk/

I bought it from their office directly as they do not sell it online.

HK$350 about USD45

The most funny is that netgear USA headoffice not sell it ...........

Some people in this forum said netgear not selling power adapter is NOT truth.

take a look at the link below

https://www.netgear.com/home/accessories/pa7000p/

https://netgear.techgear.com.hk/products/pa-332-10939-02?_pos=2&_sid=e14e96854&_ss=r

Netgear selling 12V power adapter online, but they just NOT selling 19V power adapter online only.

Even a india online shop selling this original RAXE500 / RAX200 power adapter.............

https://www.hatke.co.in/products/19v-3-16a-dc-original-genuine-netgear-ac-dc-power-adapter

Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Tiger 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 29

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd reach out to NG support to ask about this. This is beyond forum help here.

@DarrenM 

Message 2 of 29
Tigerwife
Guide

Hi,

You guys won't believe it....
I opened a ticket to ask Netgear official support at www.netgear.com

***********************************************************************************************************************************
I understand that you are planning to purchase a spare power adaptor for your RAXE500, I have checked our online store, and unfortunately, we don't have it available. You may try and look for it from the nearest electronics store in your location.
***********************************************************************************************************************************
Above is what Netgear support staff reply me officially... Bravo!

End up, I contact Netgear Hong Kong local distributor and they have brand new power adapter for USD$45
I just pickup from their office today
Yes, USD$45 is very expensive for a adapter only... but they have a REAL solution at least.

I can't believe Netgear asking me to buy adapter from electronics store nearby.... I have told them the adapter is NOT common one already..........

For all other big brand e.g. Asus, Dell, Lenovo, Adata, Western Digital, when I open ticket online at their main website and their support staff will refer the case to my local vendor or supply solutions to me directly.

Please noted that my router is still under warranty and I just purchased it about a week only... For reason why I want to purchase a spare power adapter, as I want to avoid single point of failure, just a cold standby power adapter. As I am using the router in my office

I cannot believe how poor for Netgear main office online support......
You guys should consider Netgear after sales service online.........

Thanks and good luck.

p.s. I attached the adapter photo here, you guys can take a look.

Best Regards,
Tiger....

Message 3 of 29

@Tigerwife wrote:

I can't believe Netgear asking me to buy adapter from electronics store nearby.... I have told them the adapter is NOT common one already..........

This advice from Netgear makes a lot of sense.

Netgear's adapters are mostly "industry standard" transformers. It makes no sense for someone like Netgear to create a unique design for this sort of thing.

Netgear does not sell replacement power adapters in most markers. Any generic transformer will work, as long as it has the right volts, enough amps and a tip with the right (+/-) polarity and dimensions. (Look at the label on your device or the old adapter.)

The details you need should be on the old adapter, on a label on the device itself and in its manual.

You can find suitable adapters in all the usual places. Some will even list compatibility with different Netgear hardware. (Just looked on eBay and found dozens of them.)

Some generic adapters come with a set of tips that will fit a range of different devices.

My take is that the Netgear support person was giving you sound advice that could save you money.

If you have an adapter that works, you could plug in the spare one from Japan. Don't connect it to the router.

If it goes bang you have lost nothing. If it works you now have two working adapters.

I have done this with several Netgear adapters that say "120 volts". Not one has failed when used at 240 volts.

My theory is that it is a regulatory thing. It is easier to label things 120V and then forget about whatever consumers tests you may have to make before you can slap 120-240V on the device.

Message 4 of 29
Tigerwife
Guide

take a look at the photo which I attached.

it is the PLUG issue NOT the voltage issue

It is a PD 7.4mm no centre pin plug........ It is not common standard one.

I can buy one from Hong Kong distributor but NetGear headquarter support told me to buy from electronic shop nearby.

take a look at the RAXE500 router back, there are NO any router in the world using this plug......

Only Netgear RAX200 and RAXE500 using this plug........

I do want to know why.......

eprice_1_0036cb7ea546314fab46a92642fd9cf1[1].jpg

Message 5 of 29
Tigerwife
Guide

I CANNOT buy one from USA Netgear.... Netgear online support tell me to buy from nearby shop..........

Finally, I can buy one from Hong Kong distributor

it cost me USD45..........

Message 6 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@Tigerwife wrote:

It is a PD 7.4mm no centre pin plug........ It is not common standard one.

take a look at the RAXE500 router back, there are NO any router in the world using this plug......

Only Netgear RAX200 and RAXE500 using this plug........

I do want to know why.......

Completely mistaken. Several Netgear routers (guessing since since the R9000 appears on the markets) and many notebooks makers and embedded OEM systems make use of these 65W power supplies for years.

One well known (often rebranded) power supply model is the UDOO YS50-1903150, which  goes over the table for less than 20 USD including VAT. 

Similar models for the same usage are 90W power supplies with19V/4.74A, manufactured by Mean Well GST90A19 - just ensure you get the variant with the appropriate connector.

Message 7 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@Tigerwife wrote:

I CANNOT buy one from USA Netgear.... 

Netgear USA does maintain one (or two) channels intended for US and/or North America customers only, handled by a major distributor. They are note prepared to sell and ship to different markets (various reasons like device certification, taxes, export handling, ...).   Just my limited view from Central Europe / Switzerland however.

@Tigerwife wrote:

Netgear online support tell me to buy from nearby shop..........

Sound advise, saving a lot of money. Several Netgear routers (guessing since since the R9000 appears on the markets), many notebooks makers, and embedded OEM systems make use of these 65 W power supplies for years.

One well known (often rebranded) power supply model is the UDOO YS50-1903150, which  goes over the table for less than 20 USD including VAT. 

Similar models with the same voltage specs are 90W power supplies with19 V @4.74 A, manufactured by Mean Well GST90A19 - just ensure you get the variant with the appropriate connector.

Just two random models picked from a short check with electronics distributor here, there are certainly many more.

Message 8 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Would you share the contact information on where you got this from? 

I presume it is the RIGHT end connector? 

@Tigerwife wrote:

I CANNOT buy one from USA Netgear.... Netgear online support tell me to buy from nearby shop..........

Finally, I can buy one from Hong Kong distributor

it cost me USD45..........

Message 9 of 29
Tigerwife
Guide

net.pngI buy it from Hong Kong / Macau distributor (Winco)

http://www.winco.com.hk/

I bought it from their office directly as they do not sell it online.

HK$350 about USD45

The most funny is that netgear USA headoffice not sell it ...........

Some people in this forum said netgear not selling power adapter is NOT truth.

take a look at the link below

https://www.netgear.com/home/accessories/pa7000p/

https://netgear.techgear.com.hk/products/pa-332-10939-02?_pos=2&_sid=e14e96854&_ss=r

Netgear selling 12V power adapter online, but they just NOT selling 19V power adapter online only.

Even a india online shop selling this original RAXE500 / RAX200 power adapter.............

https://www.hatke.co.in/products/19v-3-16a-dc-original-genuine-netgear-ac-dc-power-adapter

Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Tiger 🙂

Message 10 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Great. Will keep this on hand. Glad you found source. 

I WOULD RECOMMEND that users try to not loose there power adapters, if and when they move or do something with there routers. Try to keep the power adapter with the router in the box the router came in or in a 2nd hand box when moving. Don't separate them. 

For accidental damaged adapters, i.e. cord was cut by accidental uses or animal exposer. Depending on how bad the damage is, the long cord can be spliced back together. 

If the main brick is damaged or maybe goes bad or gets damaged from power outages, then we have one source here to get another. Need to check to see if both USA and other regions are available at this source.

Thank you much.

Message 11 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the one you got from the one in Hong Kong a USA compatible adapter? i.e. Has the two small connector blades on the adapter side? 

Message 12 of 29

@schumaku wrote:

@Tigerwife wrote:

Netgear online support tell me to buy from nearby shop..........

Sound advise, saving a lot of money. Several Netgear routers (guessing since since the R9000 appears on the markets), many notebooks makers, and embedded OEM systems make use of these 65 W power supplies for years.

Indeed. You wonder why people insist on trying to buy something with the Netgear logo on it. The electrons that come out are the same.

Netgear doesn't have an adaptor factory – I doubt if it even makes routers – so anything with the right specification will do.

From your comments, even the tip thing is a red herring. Again, why would Netgear want to reinvent the wheel?

As I have said before, some suppliers of adapters will even list compatible Netgear devices.

Message 13 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the one you got from the one in Hong Kong a USA compatible adapter? i.e. Has the two small connector blades on the adapter side? 

Very unlikely: According to the printing, the device shown is rated for 200...240 V AC only. The adapters must be fixed therefore, not modularized.

Message 14 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

I have done this with several Netgear adapters that say "120 volts". Not one has failed when used at 240 volts.

My theory is that it is a regulatory thing. It is easier to label things 120V and then forget about whatever consumers tests you may have to make before you can slap 120-240V on the device.

Bad advise. Even if the electronics is similar, the correct labels and regulatory information is key. UL (US) vs. CE (Europe) for example. The fact that it "works" does not make it legally correct. In case your house does burn down and the investigation does proof the cause, depending on the legislation, you will be hung or charged accordingly. If importing goods on your own, the importer can be held responsive.

Message 15 of 29
Tigerwife
Guide

The one i got from Hong Kong distributor is HK / UK plug, not US type.

Message 16 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if they might have USA types...or could point us to USA available types. Some company has to Mfr both types for NG. 

Message 17 of 29
Tigerwife
Guide

No idea, but they are HK / Macau distributor, I believe they should have HK /  Macau adapter only ....

You can try send them a email, see if they can sell online or not,  but as I know why don't sell online,  I pay cash to buy at their customer service centre only.

I MUST buy original one,  due to insurance issue. 

For fire insurance plan,  if using third party charger it will void the insurance if proven fire caused by 3rd party adapter issue........  I don't know why people keep suggest people to buy compatible one.......

Message 18 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Because they dont' know there is differences between the power adapters and the plug ends. Everyone just assumes that any ol power adapter will work with out taking in the considerations of the differences and rather not deal with it. 🙄

Message 19 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@Tigerwife wrote:

I MUST buy original one,  due to insurance issue. 

For fire insurance plan,  if using third party charger it will void the insurance if proven fire caused by 3rd party adapter issue........  I don't know why people keep suggest people to buy compatible one.......

No idea on your local regulatory or special insurance deals. Many people don't understand under what conditions you buy and deploy electrical devices. For most markets (tend to say for all markets), key are the correct specs (primary AC and secondary DC side, no overloading) and the appropriate safety and security markings. You can even go for a 90W or a 120W model variant on the RAXE500 for example (as you can't overload it with just the correct device attached) - similar, the Netgear markings don't matter either.

PS. Partially, I'm with you @Tigerwife : This is why I get upset when reading some friends here are bringing the idea it's fine to use US UL 100..120V AC in the 200...240V AC regions requiring CE markings. It might work - but is illegal and carrying a major risk..

Message 20 of 29

They don't come with labels that denote country of origin or destination.

Message 21 of 29

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Because they dont' know there is differences between the power adapters and the plug ends.

Rubbish. We are perfectly familiar with the role of "tips".

Here's one solution:

Generic adapterGeneric adapter

Message 22 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

The plug end or TIP size would need to be checked and verified with this brand of adapter Mfr. By the looks, doubtful. 

Again, The plug ends of the higher model RAX and RAXE routers differ from other models and NOT the same as the "general" or otherwise suggested "compatible" power supply/adapter. 

Message 23 of 29
Tigerwife
Guide

That so-called generic adapter is NOT able to use on RAXE500 / RAX200

the plug head size is 7.4mm / 5mm  without center pin inside.

Just take a look at my PHOTO attached.

net.png

Message 24 of 29
schumaku
Guru

The small inner pin is a relict from a second "always on" 5Vcc voltage available on some power supplies, and used to power some "always on" +5V devices like internal Modems or network adapters on some notebooks. Some users suggested (and did) cut-off this additional +5V Vcc pin. 

It's an unlucky oversight the hardware designers have not used the variant with the additional center so any probably locally available power supplies with the additional 5Vcc pin (un-soldered) could be used.  

Message 25 of 29
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7