× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax120v2 wifi losing internet connectivity

kreika
Aspirant

Rax120v2 wifi losing internet connectivity

Hello,
I have the Netgear CM700 as my modem. The Rax120v2 as my router. 2 AX8 WiFi range extenders.

Since new we’ve had random loss of internet via the wifi. Sometimes when a lot of devices are in use , other times when only a single device is in use. Sometimes it’ll happen over and over, other times just once a day or not all. We have Comcast/Xfinity as our isp. My landlord swore up down it was the internet itself. I called them and they said our internet signal is fine with no issues. Which leads me to believe it’s the router. I’ve tried googling known issues. I see a lot of advice that requires a hard wired device to be used on a factory reset. Unfortunately that can’t happen. Everything is wireless in our household. It’s using firmware 1.2.9.52. My landlord is frustrated and wants to just use whatever gear Comcast offers. I spent quite a bit of money hoping for a reliable network. Any help would be greatly appreciated before my investment is relegated useless.
Thank you,
kreika
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Rax120v2 wifi losing internet connectivity

How big is the home in sq feet? 

Does this happen with the extenders disabled? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Whats the distance between the router and these extenders? 

Whats the model# of these extenders? AX8 isn't a model#.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16

All Replies
kreika
Aspirant

The serial starts with 6JY
Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

How big is the home in sq feet? 

Does this happen with the extenders disabled? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Whats the distance between the router and these extenders? 

Whats the model# of these extenders? AX8 isn't a model#.

Message 3 of 16
kreika
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. I’d guess the home is roughly 1400 sq feet. The router is located in a back bedroom closest to the detached studio I live in. One extender is in my studio. The other in my landlords living room because the Tv wasn’t getting a strong enough signal due to walls I believe. The model is EAX80. Haven’t ever checked with the extenders off. We all lose internet at the same time so I’m assuming the main router is losing it as well. I checked the wifi traffic, seems low. I mostly see devices like a Samsung fridge but there is one that says att. I’m not sure about channel selection. I just setup as the device saw fit initially. Could you explain how to select the channels manually please? I’d guess the router to my extender in the studio is about 40 feet or so. 20 feet or so to the extender in my landlords living room extender. The whole system works fantastic strength wise when it does work. I see no problem there. It’s the dropping of internet that’s the dilemma.
Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@kreika wrote:
Thank you for the response. I’d guess the home is roughly 1400 sq feet.
For this size of home and environment, the Router and just one EAX extender would and should be enough. Having two extenders maybe too much, over saturating the spaces and having too much wifi signal over lap maybe causing prrobles that your seeing. https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4
I recommend turning OFF the EAX thats at 20 feet from the router. Thats too close to the router anyways. 30 feet or more is recommended distances between routers and extenders. 

The router is located in a back bedroom closest to the detached studio I live in.
Closets are not recommended places for main unit routers. Cental and main level and out in the open space is recommended. The more building materials are in the mix can cause problems as well. 

One extender is in my studio. The other in my landlords living room because the Tv wasn’t getting a strong enough signal due to walls I believe. The model is EAX80. Haven’t ever checked with the extenders off. We all lose internet at the same time so I’m assuming the main router is losing it as well. I checked the wifi traffic, seems low. I mostly see devices like a Samsung fridge but there is one that says att. I’m not sure about channel selection. I just setup as the device saw fit initially. Could you explain how to select the channels manually please?
Log into the RAX web page at 192.168.1.1 with a web browser and you can change channels under Basic tab/Wireless settings. 

I’d guess the router to my extender in the studio is about 40 feet or so. 20 feet or so to the extender in my landlords living room extender.
20 is too close between this one EAX extender and the router. 
The whole system works fantastic strength wise when it does work. I see no problem there. It’s the dropping of internet that’s the dilemma. 
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended.
Message 5 of 16
kreika
Aspirant

We were having this problem when we only had the one EAX80 extender in my studio. Nothing has changed since adding the second. The main router is not in a closet or enclosed in anyway. It’s on a small low end table in a corner. It’s in the closest spot to my studio so I have good wifi/internet. We added the second extender because the signal gets very weak due to too many walls. It’s been working great with no problems. The modem I’m using is the Netgear CM700. I’m using the cat6 cable that came with the router. Like I said everything works flawlessly and with ample strength until the internet just cuts out randomly. In fact it just did as I’m typing this. I tried to run to the router to look at the lights but the internet just came right back up. I’ll take a look at the channel thing asap.
Message 6 of 16
kreika
Aspirant

The 2.4 was on auto. I selected 11. The 5 ghz channel was on 153 I selected 48. It gave me some kind of alliance of wifi message and a bunch of numbers.
Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

48 is good to use as well. 

Let us know if this changes anything. 

I'd still remove the EAX at 20 feet. Too much wifi for that size of home. 

Message 8 of 16
kreika
Aspirant

Should I leave the 5ghz channel at 48 or is 153 better? Just curious.
I will report back on these results.
Thank you
Message 9 of 16
microchip8
Master

153 is a DFS channel. If you have nearby radar, better avoid it.
Message 10 of 16
kreika
Aspirant

Thank you. I honestly have no idea if there’s radar near me. I live in a small semi rural beach town. No tech or real business near by. There is a very small airport in the next town down about 4 miles away. Whatever channel keeps the internet flowing without the drops is my only goal!
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd start with channel 36 thru 48 and see. 

Message 12 of 16
kreika
Aspirant

Just to clarify I should pick a channel in that range, or can I select all those channels?
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Can only pick one channel at time.

Message 14 of 16
kreika
Aspirant

Hello,
I wanted to report back that this solution changing from auto to manual channel select has stopped the total loss of internet problems.
I have noticed it does have moments of slowing down considerably. Was wondering about all the different channels and what they mean?
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7