× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax41 SSID change

KevinB52
Follower

Rax41 SSID change

Came home today and couldn't connect to WiFi. Checked my network and couldn't find it listed as an available network so I jumped on the app to see what was up. App showed the router was online and connected, couldn't figure out what was going on so I did a reboot through the app menu. After rebooting, still nothing but I did notice there was a generic netgear39 network available on phone. Not sure if it was there before or not but after checking the app again I realized it was my network. Somehow my SSID has been changed and given a new password. What would cause this SSID to change? The reboot through the app is just a power cycle, correct? Will changing the SSID back to what it used to be (assuming I can remember what that was) allow all of my devices to reconnect without having to manually reconnect everything? TIA
Message 1 of 2

Re: Rax41 SSID change

@KevinB52 wrote:
Will changing the SSID back to what it used to be (assuming I can remember what that was) allow all of my devices to reconnect without having to manually reconnect everything?

That should work.

It is a standard strategy to keep the same SSID and passwords on a network. I have done so through many generations of routers.

As you say, it avoids having to reconnect all the devices on your network.

The router should not reset itself on a reboot, but these things can happen. Something like a power cut, for example, can scramble the router's memory.

It is a good idea to save a backup of your configuration so that you can reload it again if the system throws a wobbly. (That is a technical term for "gets it knickers in a twist".)

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

You don't say what the firmware in on your RAX41. You might want to check that.

Do not rely on any on-board tests or apps to find "the latest". They can get it wrong.

Check the installed version and compare it with the newest in the library for your device.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Or follow this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7