× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rax50 bricked? Doesn't appear after firmware upgrade attempt

otakukj
Aspirant

Rax50 bricked? Doesn't appear after firmware upgrade attempt

Just tried to install new firmware version, after the install, it said successful and that I needed to restart the hardware. Restarted it but now the device doesn't appear in the wifi selection menu. I've tried manually turning it off, restarting it, using a paperclip to reset it, nothing works. Is it bricked?
Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Rax50 bricked? Doesn't appear after firmware upgrade attempt

What FW version? 

What Hardware version is your RAX50? V1 or V2? Look at the sticker under the router to see if there is a V2 seen on the sticker...

Message 2 of 19
otakukj
Aspirant

I checked the underneath the router but I didn't see either v1 nor v2 so I assume it is v1. At the time I got it I hadn't heard of another version. I was upgrading firmware from version 386.5_2 to version
RT-AX58U_388.2_2_puresqubi.w
Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

If you don't see a v2 then it should be a v1 and you should use v1 FW from this post seen here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/New-RAX35-38-40-42-43-45-50-54-Firmwar...

RT-AX58U_388.2_2 is NOT a valid FW version. This looks like a ASUS router mfr FW name version. Would NOT be compatible on the RAX50 router. 

Message 4 of 19
otakukj
Aspirant

OK thank you I appreciate the quick response I'll try the firmware from the link. One question though how can I access the router to install the firmware from there? Since the router no longer shows up in my choices for a wifi connection. I assume I'll probably need to use a USB stick or something?
Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

So a factory reset on the Router by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds then release and connect 1 wired PC to the back of the router you can't get access to 192.168.1.1 at all in any web browser? 

Message 6 of 19
otakukj
Aspirant

Correct. I will keep trying a few more times but using a web browser and trying 192.168.1.1 doesn't seem to work when connected to a laptop directly by LAN cable . I tried changing LAN ports also just to rule that out but so far, no difference, nothing loads up when I put in the ip address in.
Message 7 of 19

@otakukj wrote:
Since the router no longer shows up in my choices for a wifi connection. I assume I'll probably need to use a USB stick or something?

It is a bad idea to update firmware over wifi. It can fail more easily than a wired connection.

There is no USB option.

For truly stuffed routers, the standard trick is to try TFTP:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

Message 8 of 19
otakukj
Aspirant

OK thank you. I'll look into it and see if I can figure it out.
Message 9 of 19

I see that no one has asked you about the state of your router's LEDs.

So far you seem to be relying on the missing WiFi as the diagnostic clue.

If you look in the manual and the section Troubleshoot with the LEDs you will see that it says:

If the Power LED blinks slowly and continuously, the router firmware is corrupted.

If that isn't the case, things are looking more hopeful.

Message 10 of 19
otakukj
Aspirant

So after trying the tpft route I ran into a couple of issues. Firstly being that the guide recommended waiting for the light to change to amber and flash, my Rax50 just stays a solid white with no flashing on only the power light, all other lights are dim. As I was unable to get the amber color, I continued with the rest of the steps. The first attempt seemed to possibly go well, I didn't get any error code. The guide recommended waiting for 4 minutes, so I went to eat then came back just to be sure. Nothing seemed to change. I made a 2nd attempt but this time the tfpt software for windows gave me an error saying that

"it was unable to send the data packet. That the server may have been stopped Error code 10065 (a socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host)"
Message 11 of 19
otakukj
Aspirant

Oh thank you for the reply, in fact I just saw this message right now. I only have one solid white power light. I'll check the manual as you mentioned. Thank you so much for the tip!
Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You might give NMRPFLASH a try:

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 13 of 19

@otakukj wrote:
I only have one solid white power light.

That suggests that your router is fine. Not bricked. Trying severe moves like TFTP or NMRPFLASH could do more harm that good.

Message 14 of 19
otakukj
Aspirant

Hm, I'd like to believe that is the case but nothing seems to be working as intended. I tried communicating with the device via command prompt and using the command prompt as a means of "put" to transfer the firmware that another comment mentioned but when attempting to go through this method or the windows software tftp methof all seem unable to communicate at present. I also tried another ethernet cable. I tried switching to different physical ports on the device as well. I'm not sure what else I can try at this point. Any other advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a 30-30-30 reset on the router. See if this can get you back to to the 192.168.1.1 setup wizard.

Definitely try the nmrpflash. This doesn't hurt anything, just attempts get the FW to load at the time when TFTP is active is all this does. If the nmrpflash and TFTP has failed then it's possible the router needs to be replaced. 

@otakukj wrote:
Hm, I'd like to believe that is the case but nothing seems to be working as intended. I tried communicating with the device via command prompt and using the command prompt as a means of "put" to transfer the firmware that another comment mentioned but when attempting to go through this method or the windows software tftp methof all seem unable to communicate at present. I also tried another ethernet cable. I tried switching to different physical ports on the device as well. I'm not sure what else I can try at this point. Any other advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Message 16 of 19
microchip8
Master

30-30-30 reset has no effect on ARM-based routers, only on MIPS ones.
Message 17 of 19

@microchip8 wrote:
30-30-30 reset has no effect on ARM-based routers, only on MIPS ones.

I was actually warned – by someone here – that it can be dangerous. So I stopped suggesting it for newer routers.

Is there an equivalent "hand jive" for ARM routers?

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I found that it still works for ARM based routers. Tried it on two different ones where It was last resort. Got them working again. Ya for only last resort use. 

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7