× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ipV6 disconnecting

sudo-visudo
Aspirant

My RAXE500 keeps dropping IPV6 connectivity. After a few days when you check using whatismyipaddress.com, the site reports no ipv6 connectivity at all. If you go into the router's ipv6 settings, "Router's IPV6 Address on LAN" is empty. This is NOT the case when IPV6 is active.

When you unplug the router for about 30 seconds and plug it back in, everything is back to normal. That is, for a few more days and you have to repeat the procedure in order to get IPV6 back. Clearly this is not an ISP issue, otherwise you could reboot the router many times and not get IPV6.

Is this a known issue or is there something weird going on here?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended.

Using the Multi Gig port or Yellow Internet port for the connection to the ISP modem/ONT?

What IPv6 setting are you using? DHCP? AUTO? Static? 6To4? 

Try using a custom IPv6 DNS configuration on the router, i.e. Cloudfare, Quad9 or Google. 

@sudo-visudo wrote:

My RAXE500 keeps dropping IPV6 connectivity. After a few days when you check using whatismyipaddress.com, the site reports no ipv6 connectivity at all. If you go into the router's ipv6 settings, "Router's IPV6 Address on LAN" is empty. This is NOT the case when IPV6 is active.

When you unplug the router for about 30 seconds and plug it back in, everything is back to normal. That is, for a few more days and you have to repeat the procedure in order to get IPV6 back. Clearly this is not an ISP issue, otherwise you could reboot the router many times and not get IPV6.

Is this a known issue or is there something weird going on here?

Message 2 of 11
sudo-visudo
Aspirant

Thanks for replying.

I'm using the latest firmware, i.e., V1.2.13.100_2.0.54. My ISP is Google Fiber. Their fiber jack is on the wall, I don't know it's model number. It works OK.

I'm using a Cat6 cable. Google says I can get away with Cat 5E. It's on the WAN port. connected directly to the fiber jack. They promise 1000-Mbps up and down. When check with LAN I consistently get 945-Mbps up/down, so they deliver.

Router settings for IPV6 are set to auto-config. In my experience no other setting works. I have Cloudflare's DNS servers on the router for both IPV4 and IPV6. They work great and are very fast.

When IPV6 disappears in it's all my devices. So far it's been 48 hours since my last reboot and IPV6 is still there.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Might save off a back up config to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Message 4 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@sudo-visudo wrote:

Thanks for replying.

I'm using the latest firmware, i.e., V1.2.13.100_2.0.54. My ISP is Google Fiber. Their fiber jack is on the wall, I don't know it's model number. It works OK.

I'm using a Cat6 cable. Google says I can get away with Cat 5E. It's on the WAN port. connected directly to the fiber jack. They promise 1000-Mbps up and down. When check with LAN I consistently get 945-Mbps up/down, so they deliver.

Router settings for IPV6 are set to auto-config. In my experience no other setting works. I have Cloudflare's DNS servers on the router for both IPV4 and IPV6. They work great and are very fast.

When IPV6 disappears in it's all my devices. So far it's been 48 hours since my last reboot and IPV6 is still there.

There is some type of electronic device between the end of the fiber optic cable and the Ethernet connection to your router.  What is the name brand and model number of this device?  Look on the label.  You might have to look for the device first.  You just think it is working OK.  What does your ISP say about their support for IPv6?

When you change the IPv6 setting to something other than auto-config, do you restart both your optical network terminal (ONT) and your router?

Just because Cloutdlare's DNS servers are fast in your area does not mean they are stable over the long term.

Message 5 of 11
sudo-visudo
Aspirant

"Fiber jack" is what Google calls their modems (device between fiber optic cable and router). They installed a model GFLT300. They fully support IPV6 and keep saying the problem is on my end. This makes sense when you reboot the router and IPV6 immediately comes back. I just checked and IPV6 is active. No reboot needed at this time.

The only way to get IPV6 to work on this router is to use auto-config. All other methods don't work.

With respect to the DNS servers on the router, none are perfect. Do you recommend switching back to the ISP's servers instead? I keep hearing Google is notorious for spying on everybody. Will using Cloudflare's (or anyone else's) servers help in any  way?

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try any custom IPv6 DNS service. Try Cloudfare or Quad9 and see if the problem continues. 

Message 7 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@sudo-visudo wrote:

"Fiber jack" is what Google calls their modems (device between fiber optic cable and router). They installed a model GFLT300. They fully support IPV6 and keep saying the problem is on my end. This makes sense when you reboot the router and IPV6 immediately comes back. I just checked and IPV6 is active. No reboot needed at this time.

The only way to get IPV6 to work on this router is to use auto-config. All other methods don't work.

With respect to the DNS servers on the router, none are perfect. Do you recommend switching back to the ISP's servers instead? I keep hearing Google is notorious for spying on everybody. Will using Cloudflare's (or anyone else's) servers help in any  way?

Does your "Fiber Jack" device have more than one Ethernet output port that would indicate a combination ONT/router type device?  Does your Fiber Jack device broadcast any Wi-Fi signals?

Until you get your IPv6 issue sorted, it would not hurt to go back to the DNS servers from your ISP.  When you get it working, then you can experiment with various other DNS server options.

This is a pretty good DNS test link:  https://browserleaks.com/dns

If your router works with IPv6 Auto-config, it selects one of the stand alone options.  Through trial and error (with reboot), should be able to figure out which one.

Message 8 of 11
sudo-visudo
Aspirant

[quote]Does your "Fiber Jack" device have more than one Ethernet output port that would indicate a combination ONT/router type device? Does your Fiber Jack device broadcast any Wi-Fi signals?[/quote]

There is just one ethernet port on the fiber jack that connects to a router. The jack itself has no WiFi. Google offers that separately assuming you use their router. I don't like that.

[quote]This is a pretty good DNS test link:  https://browserleaks.com/dns -[/quote]

No leaks. Both IPV4 and IPV6 servers show up. All Cloudflare.

[quote]If your router works with IPv6 Auto-config, it selects one of the stand alone options. Through trial and error (with reboot), should be able to figure out which one.[/quote]

In the event you're not running into this issue at all, what are your router's IPV6 settings. Maybe mine is off somewhere.

Message 9 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@sudo-visudo wrote:

[quote]Does your "Fiber Jack" device have more than one Ethernet output port that would indicate a combination ONT/router type device? Does your Fiber Jack device broadcast any Wi-Fi signals?[/quote]

There is just one ethernet port on the fiber jack that connects to a router. The jack itself has no WiFi. Google offers that separately assuming you use their router. I don't like that.

[quote]This is a pretty good DNS test link:  https://browserleaks.com/dns -[/quote]

No leaks. Both IPV4 and IPV6 servers show up. All Cloudflare.

[quote]If your router works with IPv6 Auto-config, it selects one of the stand alone options. Through trial and error (with reboot), should be able to figure out which one.[/quote]

In the event you're not running into this issue at all, what are your router's IPV6 settings. Maybe mine is off somewhere.

My ISP is Comcast cable.  Remember, the IPv4 and IPv6 settings are in different sections of the user interface.

For the wide are network IP addresses I use the DHCP option to obtain both from Comcast.  For DNS, I configure specific addresses in each respective section.  For primary DNS I specify OpenDNS for each.  For secondary DNS configuration, I specify the primary DNS addresses for my ISP. 

For some other options to use for public DNS, see attached.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try and see if this works, set up a 6to4 IPv6 Tunnel with Hurricane Electric site. It's free. See if this works. If it does, and IPv6 doesn't disconnect, possible some bad handling either in the routers FW for the DHCP IPv6 side of things, or the ISP is causing problems. Would not be the first time CC or XF not claim this. There infrastructure has been under upgrading process for past year or two and causing odd problems for there users. 

I know one Orbi user on XF that had been using ISP IPv6 DNS, once he switched to Google or Cloudfare, has been solid since. 

v.100 has some known issues already however for the RAXE500. Possible something else to add to the list for the RAXE500. 🙄

@DarrenM 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7