× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Regular loss of network connectivity

millewg001
Aspirant

Regular loss of network connectivity

I have an RAX120 installed running with Spectrum 300mbs service with their MODEM.  On a regulary basis, I lose all internet connections and random times. (3am, midnight, 4:30pm, etc).  I've been assuming this is a spectrum problem and they have come to my house several times to check wiring, equiipment, etc.  Recently they replaced the modem.  It appears, from prior calls, there were service issues but yesterday, their service deck believes I was gatting a strong signal and I needed to check my router and wiring to the modem.

I am trying to figure out is there is a way with Netgears router (RAX120) I can determine if I have a router problem.  I'll continue to report outages to Spectrum but am interested in thoughts or recommendation on how to assess if my router is causing these problems.  Thoughts or suggestions?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Regular loss of network connectivity

When you have the outage, are you still able to access the routers interface? 

And after that, are you able to ping/log into the modem? 

Message 2 of 8
millewg001
Aspirant

No, the only way I can connect is to reboot the router.  I have been having a running issue attempting to determine if my problem is the router or Spectrum's model.  The last 3 calls, my ISP service appears to be  fine  (per Spectrum Customer Suport) and I needed to either replace the cable between the router / modem, or reboot the routher.  Both times, I was able to reestablish normal internet connection.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

You say the only way to connect it to reboot the router. 

What is happening when it drops? 

Does your wifi signal disappear?

Does it say "connected, no internet"?

Are wireless and wired devices able to ping the router?

What are the led's doing on it when it goes down?

Message 4 of 8
millewg001
Aspirant

You say the only way to connect it to reboot the router. 

What is happening when it drops?   I cannot access the internet, either through a wireless or a wired connection.

Does your wifi signal disappear?  I am assuming the wirless signal is that on my phone or mac.  It does not.

Does it say "connected, no internet"?  When I turn my wifi offf then on on my ipad, it tells me "connected, no internet". 

Are wireless and wired devices able to ping the router?  I did not try this.  I did, however, attempt to access my router from my mac and it would not let me access the routher.

What are the led's doing on it when it goes down?  The LED's appear to be operating as though everything is normal.

IT happened this am (again). I'll attempt to ping the router the next time it occurs.  One thing I noticed though it the NTP time was not set properly (DST not set).  I reset and rebooted.

Message 5 of 8
millewg001
Aspirant

An update on this issue.  I recently completed a factory refresh and the router seems to have stabilized.  It has been running steady now for about 5 days so I am cautiously optimistic.

My original question remains though.  When I have network issues, what tools/procedures are available to determine whether my router or ISP modem or my ISP service is cauising the outage.  I can call my ISP and have them check my modem/service to determine if I have a problem but diagnosing the model seems prolblematic.  I would appreciate links to sources to help me understand router diagnostic issues, log recordings, etc.  Any suggestions.

Also, it appears once I reboot my router, all logs are lost.  Can these logs be saved on a regular bases (say on my PC) to allow me the option of reviewing the logs just prior to the outage?

Message 6 of 8
millewg001
Aspirant

This is an update. Since this message stream was posted (Jun, 2021) I have had a highly unstable router.  I had a service agreement with Best Buy and in August, 2021 I opted to replace the router with a new router (same model, etc).  Installing the new router was straighforward but it did not resolve the issue and I continued to have regulary, often daily failures requiring reboots, factory resets, and modem power cycles.  Nothing seemed to work.  In September, I reached out to netgear support, sending dumps/logs, power cycling the modem, router, etc.  

I also, at their request, directly attached my PC to my modem.  For the limited time I was able to do this the connection was stable and now ieeuse.

Netgear Support was telling me there were issues with DNS resolution and suggested the issue was with Spectrum  I spent time with Spectrum support and there was a need to tighten my cable connection.  Their instructions (power cycle the modem, factory reset the router, etc) did not stabilize the network.

I started to monitor my network and noticed severat incidents where pings to the network resulted in DNS connection issues and seem to preced a router failure.  This occured some times but not all.  There were times with the DNS pings resolved the errors and other times they were not resolved. 

About 3 weeks ago, after one of the failurs of my router, the extender (EX7500) did not connect and was down for almost a week.  The router stayed stable for almost a week.  I reconnected the exender and the router failed shortly afterwards.  At this time, I did a power cycle of the model and a factory reset of the RAX120 and the EX7500.  SInce that time, the router has NOT failed.  There were not further instructions from Netgear support and my "90 days of free support" ended.  I have not heard from them since this free support ended.   Right now, my router has been up for 7+ days and running strong (knock on wood).  I'll monitor this for awhile but I do have a couple of questions:

1)I have  heard / read from a number of sources where the RAX120 seems to have issues with  "DNS errors" unlike other Netgear products.  I'd be interested in comments from others about wether they are having issues, paricularly if the RAX120 and an EX7500 is configured with a "Mesh" configuration (same SSID).  

2) In another note, I asked for help in sources to assist with complex network Problem Determination.  I looked at the Netgear RAX120 DEBUG logs and wonder if there is documentation to help read these logs. 

3) It seems to be an issue with configuring a RAX120 with and EX7500 (wireless).  I also have an EX8000 connected via ethernet (this configuratin has been rock solid).  I am inclined to think I should replace the RAX120/EX7500/EX8000 with an ORBI852.   I do have a single story home with about 4000 sqft, 5000sqft if I consider including my yard.   Any thoughts or recommendations?

4) I also wonder if I should replacet eh EX7500/EX8000 with their AX versions.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@millewg001 wrote:

About 3 weeks ago, after one of the failurs of my router, the extender (EX7500) did not connect and was down for almost a week.  The router stayed stable for almost a week.  I reconnected the exender and the router failed shortly afterwards.  At this time, I did a power cycle of the model and a factory reset of the RAX120 and the EX7500.  SInce that time, the router has NOT failed.  There were not further instructions from Netgear support and my "90 days of free support" ended.  I have not heard from them since this free support ended.   Right now, my router has been up for 7+ days and running strong (knock on wood).  I'll monitor this for awhile but I do have a couple of questions:

1)I have  heard / read from a number of sources where the RAX120 seems to have issues with  "DNS errors" unlike other Netgear products.  I'd be interested in comments from others about wether they are having issues, paricularly if the RAX120 and an EX7500 is configured with a "Mesh" configuration (same SSID).  

What FW version is loaded on the EX7500. 

2) In another note, I asked for help in sources to assist with complex network Problem Determination.  I looked at the Netgear RAX120 DEBUG logs and wonder if there is documentation to help read these logs. 

3) It seems to be an issue with configuring a RAX120 with and EX7500 (wireless).  I also have an EX8000 connected via ethernet (this configuratin has been rock solid).  I am inclined to think I should replace the RAX120/EX7500/EX8000 with an ORBI852.   I do have a single story home with about 4000 sqft, 5000sqft if I consider including my yard.   Any thoughts or recommendations?

While the EX7500 works as a extender, it may not be the best match with the RAX model router. The EX7500 doesn't support AX modes and connection rates are not matching of what the RAX router supports. 

4) I also wonder if I should replacet eh EX7500/EX8000 with their AX versions.  Any thoughts or recommendations? You might give the EAX80 a try to see how it works with the RAX router. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7