× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Doesn't seem to be allowing Port Forwarding

jjstewar2
Aspirant

Router Doesn't seem to be allowing Port Forwarding

I have been trying to set up port-forwarding for microsoft remote desktop. I know I can use teamviewer or one of those, but I want to do it this way with Port forwarding.

I've been troubleshooting for over a few weeks, but I can't get the port to open on my public IP.

I know that the port-forward rule in my router settings is right. I've configured the correct port that I want to use to go through the router and the other port inside my network for the device that I want to remote desktop to. I also have the correct IP for the device which I made static. I can connect to it via local IP and within my network, so i know that it is not my firewall. I also turned off my firewall on the computer I want to connect to. I cannot seem to connect to my remote computer via public IP, and all of the "port checking" tools that i've tried online all say that the port is still stealthed. I do have windows pro on both computers.

I did not do a log report, but I didn't see anything in the logs saying anything about it. Another post similar to the issue I have been having said this, "Something that seems odd to me, is that in the router's log - there are no messages about port-forwarding/port-triggering even though there is a message filter for it. This sort of leads me to belive that the port forwarding rule is not actually being applied in the router's settings."

I'm not really sure what information is relevant for any help but i'll include what I can think of, and anyone who can help - if you can ask me for additional info i will glady provide it.

Attempted Port Forward: 25565
Router Model: RAX20
Router Firmware: V1.0.4.100_2.0.64 (The most recent version as of the time of writing)
Modem Model: Unsure but provided by Greenlight Networks
ISP: Greenlight Networks

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
jjstewar2
Aspirant

Re: Router Doesn't seem to be allowing Port Forwarding

So, I figured it out with what you were saying and one of my co-workers because he uses the same ISP that I use and has the same modem that I have. I apprecaite your help and your posts including others that have posted. Here is what a co-worker and I found with your help.

First we looked at my Public IP address.

1. Then we looked at the IP address for the router (not the gateway IP or the IP for the router as a gateway for my computer. The IP address is found in the connection status of the advanced settings. We found that they did not match. So,

2. We then looked up who the IP addresses belong to using a variety of websites until we found AbuseIPDB.com. This website showed us the information we were looking for.

3. First we typed in the Public IP address that showed in my web browser when I typed "What's my IP address?". Ex: 5.2.97.482

4. Second, we looked up the IP address that was showing up on my router after it went through the modem. Ex: 104.25.64.13

5. When I got the results back, the first IP address showed who my ISP was as it should have been. The second IP address was the interesting one as the result to that showed, "Carrier-Grade NAT RFC6598". That is what confused us. My co-worker is paying for a static IP through our ISP which allows him to port forward and why I wasn't port forwarding. We also found a forum or posting talking about what the Carrier-Grade NAT means.

If you don't already know or for anyone else that might be looking into reasons why they may not be able to forward, here is a basic explaination.

The ISP (Greenlight Networks in this case) is using the public IP for more than just you (one customer). It is going through their router first before going to individual modems in the homes of their customers which then gives them a different IP address. Then that IP address is used by your router and modem to get to their router which then goes to the internet. They don't allow the port forwarding unless you pay for a static IP. It's a way to grab money.

Greenlight Networks is a very good company in the Upstate new york area. They are charging me about $50 a month for 500mbps upload and download. They are a fiber optic company. And that is why I am not able to use Microsoft's Remote Desktop.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you disble uPnP priot to setting up any Port Forwarding rules?

Will need to get modem information if possible to help determine if the modem has a built in router or not. Having two routers on the same line will cause problems. 

Message 2 of 9
jjstewar2
Aspirant

I don't think I did. I don't remember doing anything uPnP. How would I go about doing that?

My modem is just a straight modem for Fiber Optic Internet. 500mbps/500mbps.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 9
NCGeek
Aspirant

Microsoft's RDP uses port 3389. Create a DHCP reservation for the computer you want to access, then create a service for port 3389, forwarding traffic to the IP you reserved.

Message 5 of 9
jjstewar2
Aspirant

Did that. I gave it a static IP and then tried to do port forwarding on the router to that specific port both externally and internally and then changed it to a different port. Both times it did not work. It did work within my network, but the port forwarding didn't seem to work. I even turned off my Firewall on my computer. I have tried not stopping UPnP as of yet.

Message 6 of 9
NCGeek
Aspirant

@jjstewar2 wrote:

Did that. I gave it a static IP and then tried to do port forwarding on the router to that specific port both externally and internally and then changed it to a different port. Both times it did not work. It did work within my network, but the port forwarding didn't seem to work. I even turned off my Firewall on my computer. I have tried not stopping UPnP as of yet.

If you want to run RDP on anything other than the default port, you have a lot of Windows registry and firewall rules to change, as well. RDP is expected to be used primarily inside a corporate network where both computers involved are in a Windows-controlled "domain." And of course, port forwarding only works if the other computer is actually outside of your LAN, using the public IP to access your router. 

https://www.itprotoday.com/mobile-management-and-security/how-map-different-listening-port-remote-de...

I am running an FTP server on a computer inside the LAN on my RAX43, which requires forwarding port 21 as well as a range of ports to use as PASV transport ports. It works flawlessly. 

Message 7 of 9
NCGeek
Aspirant

Meant to add that I doubt UPnP has anything to do with it. I have it turned on (the default, I believe) in my config.

Message 8 of 9
jjstewar2
Aspirant

So, I figured it out with what you were saying and one of my co-workers because he uses the same ISP that I use and has the same modem that I have. I apprecaite your help and your posts including others that have posted. Here is what a co-worker and I found with your help.

First we looked at my Public IP address.

1. Then we looked at the IP address for the router (not the gateway IP or the IP for the router as a gateway for my computer. The IP address is found in the connection status of the advanced settings. We found that they did not match. So,

2. We then looked up who the IP addresses belong to using a variety of websites until we found AbuseIPDB.com. This website showed us the information we were looking for.

3. First we typed in the Public IP address that showed in my web browser when I typed "What's my IP address?". Ex: 5.2.97.482

4. Second, we looked up the IP address that was showing up on my router after it went through the modem. Ex: 104.25.64.13

5. When I got the results back, the first IP address showed who my ISP was as it should have been. The second IP address was the interesting one as the result to that showed, "Carrier-Grade NAT RFC6598". That is what confused us. My co-worker is paying for a static IP through our ISP which allows him to port forward and why I wasn't port forwarding. We also found a forum or posting talking about what the Carrier-Grade NAT means.

If you don't already know or for anyone else that might be looking into reasons why they may not be able to forward, here is a basic explaination.

The ISP (Greenlight Networks in this case) is using the public IP for more than just you (one customer). It is going through their router first before going to individual modems in the homes of their customers which then gives them a different IP address. Then that IP address is used by your router and modem to get to their router which then goes to the internet. They don't allow the port forwarding unless you pay for a static IP. It's a way to grab money.

Greenlight Networks is a very good company in the Upstate new york area. They are charging me about $50 a month for 500mbps upload and download. They are a fiber optic company. And that is why I am not able to use Microsoft's Remote Desktop.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7