× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router doesn't log me out and security question

JimmyW
Luminary

Router doesn't log me out and security question

My router is an RAX50v2 with Firmware Version V1.1.4.28_2.1.26. It seems that the Router does not log me out when I click the logout option under my user account icon in the upper left. After I click logout and the router window closes, the router window will reopen without the need for a password next time I open it. Rebooting my Win 11 system will clear everything and require a password to access the router. Is this normal? Other than restarting, is there a way to log out and be sure that my router is secure?

In my wireless setup I noticed that the router was set to use WPA2-Personal, and other options are available, as in the screenshot. Is this the most secure setting that will work with my router and Win 11 and iOS systems? Thanks.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
JimmyW
Luminary

Re: Router doesn't log me out and security question

It's the Bitwarden password manager extension. Usually, if the autofill-on-page-load option is selected (mine is), the creds are entered in the login fields as asterisks and I must click OK. However, with the router login, for some reason, login is fully automatic and the router page opens without displaying the masked creds or requiring my OK. I may question the Bitwarden forum about this, although it really isn't a big deal or a security risk. 

And because the Bitwarden extension loads as Chrome starts, it gives the impression that the router login creds survived a system reboot. They really didn't.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Happens with different browsers? 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering into the routers web page. 

I'd factory reset the router and setup from scratch. 

Message 2 of 12
JimmyW
Luminary

>even if you don't logout, that signed-in state times-out soon, within a few minutes.

Not on mine. It keeps me logged in indefinitely.

>that 2nd device won't be able to hitch-hike on a the previous authentication. a screen like this intervenes, demanding a >new login.

True. That's what the Netgear tech told me, and that was really my concern, e.g., someone war driving and getting into my system. The bottom line is that I will be logged out when I reboot my system.

>there.  feel better?

Yes, thanks very much!

Message 3 of 12
JimmyW
Luminary

Nope. Mine stays logged on. While this may not pose a security risk, it is a bug that Netgear should address.
Message 4 of 12
JimmyW
Luminary

I have the Nighthawk app on my android phone, but don't use it.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Happens with different browsers? 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering into the routers web page. 

I'd factory reset the router and setup from scratch. 

Message 6 of 12
JimmyW
Luminary

I just noted that the router keeps me logged in even after I reboot my system. But the issue does not present in MS Edge-logout is clean and complete. So, maybe it has to do with a Chrome extension: I ran a clean install of Chrome portable, and the issue does not present. So, the first thing to try is disabling my extensions one by one. I reset of the router doesn't appear to be indicated. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, great to know about MS Edge and Chrome. Let us know if you find out anything with Chrome extensions.  

Message 8 of 12
JimmyW
Luminary

It's the Bitwarden password manager extension. Usually, if the autofill-on-page-load option is selected (mine is), the creds are entered in the login fields as asterisks and I must click OK. However, with the router login, for some reason, login is fully automatic and the router page opens without displaying the masked creds or requiring my OK. I may question the Bitwarden forum about this, although it really isn't a big deal or a security risk. 

And because the Bitwarden extension loads as Chrome starts, it gives the impression that the router login creds survived a system reboot. They really didn't.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting find. Glad you figured it out. 

I guess you don't need to FR then. 

Message 10 of 12
JimmyW
Luminary

Actually, Birwarden is superb. The issue jere isn't really a problem. And I always fix my Bitwarden setup to prevent it.
Message 11 of 12
JimmyW
Luminary

That was one of the first thing I tried when the issue first arose. My phone, using chrome, requires creds to login to the router. Bitwarden is rather bulletproof. I have it on my phone, but use it only on a case by case basis; it doesn't stay open very long, like my Chrome extension does.

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7