× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router hangs on enabling link aggregate

geog
Tutor

Router hangs on enabling link aggregate

My rounter hanged a few days ago.  I reset it and restored the backup.  It hanged again.  I reset most of my settings and it works fine except for link aggregation.  Whenever it is turned on, the rounter hangs after reboot.  Should I bring it in for service?  In that case, I have to find a backup router.  Thanks.  BTW, it still hangs on restoring backup even a new backup I've just created.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Try setting it up without using the backup configuration. The RAX devices were released even before the AX spec was finalized. meaning some firmware changes were significant. 

Try re-installing the firmware on it and setting it up manually instead of from the backup. 

What modem are you using? not all modems play nicely with link aggregation. 

Message 2 of 7
geog
Tutor

I have set it up manually and so far it works.  But once I turned on the link aggregation, it hangs after reboot.  I used it with a Synology NAS.  It used to work. 

Message 3 of 7
Nano_Pico
Guide

There are several threads on here about issues with Netgear Routers not playing nice with Link Aggregation.   

I just bought an RAX200 and when I had it configured for WAN LAG I needed to either reset it or unplug and replug a cable once every 24 hours.  It is a feature that appears to be defective at this time. 

Message 4 of 7
geog
Tutor

Sorry to hear that! Glad to know it's likely not hardware problem.

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Nano_Pico wrote:

There are several threads on here about issues with Netgear Routers not playing nice with Link Aggregation. 

That's all related to the LAG on the WAN interface from what I remember. Before this feature was added the LAN side LAG was (and is here e.g. some R9000) very reliable, both as a static LAG against some switches (like the S8000 or SX10) or as a dynamic LDAP LAG to some NAS (QNAP, ReadyNAS, or Syno). 

@geog does the same hang happen while the two LAG ports are not connected at all? Is the LAG configured static or LDAP? Have ssh access to the router - just for curiosity, I'd suggest some checks.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Sorry, telnet it is.  Try http://routerlogin.net/debug.htm or http://[LAN-IP]/debug.htm ... newer Nightawk AC and RAX have a page with special controls allowing to enable telnet.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7