× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: S C A M - BEFORE YOU BUY!!! READ THIS !! AX12 RAX120v2

NetFailgear
Follower

S C A M - BEFORE YOU BUY!!! READ THIS !! AX12 RAX120v2

I have been a loyal Netgear user for years.

After approx 7 years the last router gave up.  I motored over to Best Buy to by the latest top of the line Netgear router so that i would not have "upgrade envy" in a year or so.  NEARLY $500 later i walked out of the store.  Went home.... DOA...   that shoud have been my FIRST CLUE.  I went back and purchased a SECOND NETGEAR router.  No real problems.   I also purchased an extended warranty which i usually do not do, but considering that the first one failed it seemed a prdent action.

NEXT along comes a NETGEAR VULNERABILITY.  Unfortunately i was one of the ones that was hacked as revealed by both routher logs and my system logs.  Following long established security protocols i flashed the upgrade which went fine.  I also changed pws on the LAN in case the Intruder were able to return.  

I then went to block the intruder's IP... No luck.  If, in addition to the high price i had already paid for the router, i wanted this "high tech" ability to block an outside IP address then I would need to become a part of the INCREASINGLY LUCRaTIVE subscription culture.  I would prefer not to have to do that since this is a functionality that was readily available for FREE in my ancient router.  

BLOCK SITES does not prevent an IP from connecting

BLOCK SERVICES does not allow for the writing of external IPs.

In the past such problems would have been forwarded to TECH SUPPORT who might have been able to correct them in the next upgrade.  THE CURRENT SUPPORT SYSTEM requires payment (since i am somewhat capable and did not require help during the setup).  I do not feel i should pay to inform them that there is a problem that they should address OR it may not be a problem at all to them as if currently FORCES EVERYONE into a subscription model just to gain the most fundamental functions of a home router, the ability to block an IP.

I am honestly at a loss as whether to sell my stock in NETGEAR as i am unhappy from a customer perspective or to BUY MORE stock as it seems that they have found a way to create considerable income where before there was none.

EITHER WAY if i can not find a simple free solution to block a single IP it will be the last Netgear product that I buy.

Message 1 of 2
penguinpages
Tutor

Re: S C A M - BEFORE YOU BUY!!! READ THIS !! AX12 RAX120v2

I concurn on this thread.  Netgear I am seeing now as a bad investment.   $500 for a router with no interaction of support but for "pay to play".  We are not asking for support inteaction for edge use cases but to establish and use features advertised and were in working conditions when purchase made.  I have made postings on sites , as well as stear customer away now based on this experience and the one I had.   If someone from NetGear services teams would respond and interact, that would go a long way to remove these kinds of issues... but after months.. I have to make changes.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7