× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Second RAX43 (AP mode) drops 5GHz

Beakerrrr
Aspirant

Second RAX43 (AP mode) drops 5GHz

Hi All, I have two RAX 43 routers at my house. The first is connected to the modem and acts as a Wi-Fi router at the front of my house. The second - connected via ethernet to the first - is at the back of my house in AP mode. Both have different SSIDs, both use 2.4GHz & 5GHz. Everything ticks along fine but every day or two the 5GHz drops out on the second (AP mode) router. A reset solves this and everything is fine again. There are no issues with the Wi-Fi on the first router. Firmware v1.0.16.132.

Questions: Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

Thanks

Andrew

Message 1 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@Beakerrrr wrote:

Hi All, I have two RAX 43 routers at my house. The first is connected to the modem and acts as a Wi-Fi router at the front of my house. The second - connected via ethernet to the first - is at the back of my house in AP mode. Both have different SSIDs, both use 2.4GHz & 5GHz. Everything ticks along fine but every day or two the 5GHz drops out on the second (AP mode) router. A reset solves this and everything is fine again. There are no issues with the Wi-Fi on the first router. Firmware v1.0.16.132.

Questions: Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

Thanks

Andrew

What channel numbers do you have set for your 5 GHz bands?

You may be experiencing some interference from DFS sources such as weather radar, airport radar, military radar, etc.

Background reading from chapter 14 here may be helpful.  https://www.wiisfi.com/

Message 2 of 10
Beakerrrr
Aspirant

Thanks Kitsap, I read that chapter and am better informed. Not sure that's the issue though. My 5GHz is on Channel 44 - not a DFS Channel.

According to the WiFI analytics on the Netgear app mine is the only network on that channel as I type. I am in a suburban house so WiFi is not crowded. All other networks I detect are 2.4GHz. I'll update the info with the fact that the 5GHz doesn't disappear, it appears to still broadcast but not serve internet. Clients (at my house = 4x smart speakers, and a PC and mobile phones) then seem to drop it and stop working. Phones just pick up the 2.4GHz, smart speakers are not so capable (if I set them up again I would use the 2.4 for these).

Thanks

Andrew

Message 3 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@Beakerrrr wrote:

Thanks Kitsap, I read that chapter and am better informed. Not sure that's the issue though. My 5GHz is on Channel 44 - not a DFS Channel.

According to the WiFI analytics on the Netgear app mine is the only network on that channel as I type. I am in a suburban house so WiFi is not crowded. All other networks I detect are 2.4GHz. I'll update the info with the fact that the 5GHz doesn't disappear, it appears to still broadcast but not serve internet. Clients (at my house = 4x smart speakers, and a PC and mobile phones) then seem to drop it and stop working. Phones just pick up the 2.4GHz, smart speakers are not so capable (if I set them up again I would use the 2.4 for these).

Thanks

Andrew

Do you have both of the 5 GHz Wi-Fi transmitters set on the same channel?

What is the brand name and model number of the device connected between your router and the internet?

Message 4 of 10
Beakerrrr
Aspirant

Hi, both my routers are serving 5GHz on channel 44. It was the default I channel I think. I'm changing the first one to 48 to see if that fixes things. Can't hurt.

I am in Australia and have NBN via HFC. My NTD is an Arris CM82008 P2.

Thanks, Andrew.

Message 5 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@Beakerrrr wrote:

Hi, both my routers are serving 5GHz on channel 44. It was the default I channel I think. I'm changing the first one to 48 to see if that fixes things. Can't hurt.

I am in Australia and have NBN via HFC. My NTD is an Arris CM82008 P2.

Thanks, Andrew.

Thank you.  Many users show up here after connecting a router downstream to a combination modem/router.  A recipe for problems.

Message 6 of 10
Beakerrrr
Aspirant

I have reset my channels on both routers (non DFS channels). The AP mode router continues to stop serving internet on the 5ghz band.

I recall reading somewhere that I would be better off having the first router (closest the internet) in AP mode and the second router to act as the router. Can this  Is this likely to change anything or improve matters?

Thanks

Andrew

Message 7 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

maybe the AP will stabilize and stay connected if

in the main router,

if you set a Reserved IP Address for the other one (the AP) that's daisy-chained to it.

Message 8 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@Beakerrrr wrote:

I have reset my channels on both routers (non DFS channels). The AP mode router continues to stop serving internet on the 5ghz band.

I recall reading somewhere that I would be better off having the first router (closest the internet) in AP mode and the second router to act as the router. Can this  Is this likely to change anything or improve matters?

Thanks

Andrew

The Ethernet connection has to go from the modem -> router -> access point.  The router controls the assignment of IP addresses to downstream devices and keeps track of (routes) the data packets to and from these devices.

I do not know what channel options you have where you are operating, set the 5 GHz channels on the two devices as far apart as you can.

Are there any issues with heat buildup in the environment where you run the AP device? 

How long has it been since you did a firmware default (factory) reset and reconfigure from scratch the AP device?

Message 9 of 10
Beakerrrr
Aspirant

Hi, back again. 

I factory reset my device (long press of the 'button' in the hole with a paperclip) and crossed my fingers. I have set up my AP 5GHz band as far away as possible from the the 5GHz band (40 vs 149). Unfortunately the problem persists and after a day or so the 5GHz either disappeared or stopped serving internet - all devices disconnected. 

(Smart speakers say they are not connected to the internet, Android phone finds but won't connect when it finds no internet. My laptop doesn't show the 5GHz band at all.)

2.4Ghz is still working and serving internet. I'm connected to it now.

WiFi analytics in the Netgear app shows the 5GHz band is still there and strong (I am in the next room 10m/30ft away with no walls or doors between).

I'm out of options besides RMA or abandoning 5GHz on this router.

Any last suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7