× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Troubles setting up AX1800 as 2nd and 3rd router on 1 network

mjd102
Aspirant

Troubles setting up AX1800 as 2nd and 3rd router on 1 network

Hello- I am by no means a network person but I am a software developer so I know little about networks and computers. I am trying to help out a friend here and save them the outrageous quotes they received. 

All I am trying to do is enable them to access internet in the new buildings they put up. Keeping the same SSID would be great but not needed if it cant be reached. 

I currently am stuck setting up AX1800 as 2nd router on existing comcast business router. I am seeing irregular things with different solutions. Heres the layout of the network and things I have tried:

Layout: Main office space with black comcast business router(10.x.x.1) with a switch panel powering phone and security system. comcast router is setup in bridge mode. 

Warehouse 1(10.x.x.2) has about 100ft of cat 6 running to it from black comcast business router.

Warehouse 2 (10.x.x.3) has about 100ft of cat 6 running to it from black comcast business router.

Both Warehouse 1 & 2 have AX1800.

Things I have tried: Reserved 2 IP address on black comcast router before DHCP range starts. On netgear routers I have Manually set them up from admin login. Leave SSID the same as main router and tried with different Creds. Within the LAN settings I set new ip I reserved from main router. Disable DHCP server. Change the channel to anything but 1. Connect to main router via LAN ports restart network. 

From here: Only I can access the network from warehouse 1 or 2. I can access from phone and laptop but no one else can. Eventually an Iphone was able to connect randomly hours later. 

With that being unsuccessful. 

Another solution I tried was to set the AX1800 in AP mode and automatically dynamically set ip from main router and connect via LAN port.( Here I admit I think I forgot to bounce the network) I was able to see the routers from my device and was able to connect but no internet. 

SOS

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Troubles setting up AX1800 as 2nd and 3rd router on 1 network

@mjd102 wrote:

Yes there is absolutely wifi within the main building. Looking back at the backer board could the white box in the bottom right be a router?  

If one of those was a router, realistically, I could set the netgears in AP mode and plug them into the right LAN port and I should have wifi in the other buildings? 

The white box in the bottom right has a label WAP, this usually stands for Wired Access Point and it would be your source of Wi-Fi in the main building.

In the upper left corner is a large gray chassis with the label FSN equipment.  Three Ethernet connections are labeled Data, Phones, and ISP.  The Internet Service Provider connection leads back to the Comcast Business gateway.  Look for a brand name and model number on this device.  You might need an inspection mirror and web search is your friend.  This could be a router.

In the upper right is a medium chassis labeled phones only.  This might be a switch.  Again, look for a brand name and model number on this device.  Web search is your friend.  Recommend you do not connect data lines there.

Just to the left of the WAP, is a medium gray chassis that is labeled FSN Data.  This might be a switch.  Look for a brand name and model number on the device.  If this last device is a switch, and there appear to be open connection ports, this would be where to connect the Ethernet for the new buildings.

Configure your new devices as access points, still do not know their model number (not AX1800), and you should have Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections in the new buildings.

Do you know who put together the backer board setup?

Edit:  Your new devices are a model RAX10.  The images were approved so I can see them.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If the comcast is setup in bridge (modem only) mode, then there needs to be a router in between it and other access points/routers. 

Or you can only have 1 router connected to it. 

What actual device do you have? AX1800 is a speed, not a model. 

Message 2 of 14
mjd102
Aspirant

Here's the actual existing working hardware
Message 3 of 14
mjd102
Aspirant

mjd102_0-1679670545622.png

Sorry my link was removed.. This is the router I am trying to setup in new buildings

Message 4 of 14
Kitsap
Master

Looked at your picture.  Attaching a file works better with this message board, even with the one image limit.

With the Comcast Business Router configured in bridge mode, there is a good chance only LAN port 1 is active unless you pay for additional IP addresses on your account.  I see three connections.  Like @plemans says, you need a router connected right after the modem and before you split off to the new buildings.

The brand name and model number of the business router would be helpful.

Message 5 of 14
mjd102
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. The business router is a cbr-t. Even with my first solution I tried I was seeing the LAN ports light up when I had my routers plugged in on the other side. I was also able to access the internet on this solution from my phone. I am almost certain they are active.. 

I'm up for tinkering around with this setup to get it to work. I have the config saved away.. They have no clue why its in bridge mode.. Can anyone tell why it would be in bridge mode and a solution with it in or out of bridge mode?  

Message 6 of 14
mjd102
Aspirant

Message 7 of 14
Kitsap
Master

Different manufacturers have varying definitions of bridge mode.  Normally it would mean IP pass through with the router functions disabled.  If the other ports are active and passing data, then your CBR-T is performing routing functions.  The manual for the CBR-T indicates it is capable of broadcasting Wi-Fi.  Is the Wi-Fi active?  Can you connect to the Wi-Fi on the CBR-T?

Comcast may configure the CBR-T with different functions to match the functions the account owner is paying for.

I have dealt with several Comcast Business installations and all have had a modem/router configured in bridge mode and a router was required downstream.  All were installations that had been in place for several years.  I have not seen a CBR-T before nor have I seen Wi-Fi from the business gateway as an option.

Maybe you have the new building Ethernet connections (Green?) connected to the wrong location?  Several of the devices on the plywood backer board appear to be a router or switches.  One for sure is a wired access point for Wi-FI.

Message 8 of 14
mjd102
Aspirant

Yes there is absolutely wifi within the main building. Looking back at the backer board could the white box in the bottom right be a router?  

If one of those was a router, realistically, I could set the netgears in AP mode and plug them into the right LAN port and I should have wifi in the other buildings? 

Message 9 of 14
mjd102
Aspirant

And yes you are correct.. They are Green

Message 10 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@mjd102 wrote:

The white box in the bottom right has a label WAP, this usually stands for Wired Access Point and it would be your source of Wi-Fi in the main building.

In the upper left corner is a large gray chassis with the label FSN equipment.  Three Ethernet connections are labeled Data, Phones, and ISP.  The Internet Service Provider connection leads back to the Comcast Business gateway.  Look for a brand name and model number on this device.  You might need an inspection mirror and web search is your friend.  This could be a router.

In the upper right is a medium chassis labeled phones only.  This might be a switch.  Again, look for a brand name and model number on this device.  Web search is your friend.  Recommend you do not connect data lines there.

Just to the left of the WAP, is a medium gray chassis that is labeled FSN Data.  This might be a switch.  Look for a brand name and model number on the device.  If this last device is a switch, and there appear to be open connection ports, this would be where to connect the Ethernet for the new buildings.

Configure your new devices as access points, still do not know their model number (not AX1800), and you should have Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections in the new buildings.

Do you know who put together the backer board setup?

Edit:  Your new devices are a model RAX10.  The images were approved so I can see them.

Message 11 of 14
mjd102
Aspirant

Thanks KitSap - Not sure who installed the backer board. It was done a long time ago or they no longer have affiliations with that person.. I'm going to give it another go based on our convo on Sunday and report back to here.. Thanks for all your help

Message 12 of 14
Kitsap
Master

@mjd102 wrote:

Thanks KitSap - Not sure who installed the backer board. It was done a long time ago or they no longer have affiliations with that person.. I'm going to give it another go based on our convo on Sunday and report back to here.. Thanks for all your help

The person that assembled the backer board and devices should have provided the owner with a three ring binder containing the OEM manuals for the devices, some basic operating instructions, with usernames/passwords to access the various component devices.  Good luck.

Message 13 of 14
mjd102
Aspirant

Thanks again.. It took ten minutes to set this up once I located the actual router.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7