× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to get 1.2gb speeds

darklink2368
Aspirant

Unable to get 1.2gb speeds

my ISP offers me 1.2gb download speeds and that's what I've been paying for. I just upgraded my equipment. I have the CM1200 modem, the RAXE500 router, and a new 10g ethernet port for my iMac. To achieve this, I've enable link aggregation on my modem and multi-gig connection (1gbps+1gbps) on my router. In theory, I should be able to plug my computer into the 2.5gb port on my router right? For some reason, when I do that not only does the connection not work, my internet cuts out completely. I have to reset the router every time and configure everything again. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I should mention that my router can some trouble at first connecting to all of my existing devices, so I'm not sure if I just have a faulty product or not.  

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: Unable to get 1.2gb speeds

@darklink2368 wrote:

my ISP offers me 1.2gb download speeds and that's what I've been paying for. I just upgraded my equipment. I have the CM1200 modem, the RAXE500 router, and a new 10g ethernet port for my iMac. To achieve this, I've enable link aggregation on my modem and multi-gig connection (1gbps+1gbps) on my router. In theory, I should be able to plug my computer into the 2.5gb port on my router right? For some reason, when I do that not only does the connection not work, my internet cuts out completely. I have to reset the router every time and configure everything again. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I should mention that my router can some trouble at first connecting to all of my existing devices, so I'm not sure if I just have a faulty product or not.  

In theory it sounds good.  When you have the results you described, you have created a network loop with either your physical connections, configuration, or both.

To sort this out, the first thing to do is shut off the Wi-Fi radios so no Wi-Fi connections cause DHCP issues in your router.

Recommend you verify the link aggregation configuration in the modem.  Are the twin Ethernet cords between your modem and router the same type, brand, and length?   Long term should be, short term if not, press ahead.

Verify the configuration in your RAXE500.  I don't have one so it is something I have not looked at.  Your input configuration (WAN) should aggregate two (1 and 2) of your 1 Gbps ports to connect to your modem.  Make sure link aggregation is not enabled on the other two ports.  Your Yellow multi-gig is not configurable.  It is either input (WAN) or nothing.  Do not plug anything in to the Yellow port.  Power up your modem first, give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  One of your last indicators to illuminate should be your internet access.  The link indicator should be off.

Power up your router (remember Wi-Fi radios are off) and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  Connect your computer to one of the 1 Gbps output ports and boot it up.  Nothing should crash or loose access.  Check your internet access and verify function.  Log in to your router and look for a status screen.  Probably under the advanced tab.  You should see your WAN connection showing the link aggregation connecting.  Your port number five is a multi-gig port and should show as LAN no connection.  You should be able to power off your computer and change the input connection from the 1 Gbps port to the multi-gig port and power it up with access to the internet.

Turn on your Wi-Fi radios.

Please report back your results!

Message 2 of 4
darklink2368
Aspirant

okay. So good news is that this did the trick! Thank you so much! The only thing is there have been times where I've had to reboot the router for whatever reason and the network loop occurs again. I then have to do the whole process again which is very annoying. Is there anything I can do to prevent this loop from happening in the future?

Message 3 of 4
Kitsap
Master

@darklink2368 wrote:

okay. So good news is that this did the trick! Thank you so much! The only thing is there have been times where I've had to reboot the router for whatever reason and the network loop occurs again. I then have to do the whole process again which is very annoying. Is there anything I can do to prevent this loop from happening in the future?

It is good to hear about your progress!

In the realm of home networking, link aggregation has a reputation of being unstable at times.  This is often the case when the two devices being linked are of different brands.  Also it is one of the reasons for the move to 2.5 Gbps ports on both modems and routers.

When your router boots, it uses DHCP to assign IP addresses to the various devices connected on your LAN.  Both hard wired and over Wi-Fi.  This process also happens when you have a device that was not on at the last router boot and then you turn the device on at a later time.  If you can identify the device or circumstance that causes the instability, you and go in to the router and reserve an IP address that has your network stable.  Depending on the number of devices you are talking about, both hard wired and Wi-Fi connected, there are a lot of combinations available and the unstable combination can be difficult to identify.

Suggest you mark this thread resolved and start a new one at a later date if necessary.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series