× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to see Wifi6 SSID

perseid
Aspirant

Unable to see Wifi6 SSID

Hi , I have a Dell XPS 17 9710. It comes with a factory installed Wifi6 card (Killer 1650s) which is Wi-Fi 6 (WiFi 802.11ax)  capable. 

I installed the latest Intel driver for this card and it displays in Device Manager as working properly. I'm able to detect/connect all 2.4/5GHz SSID's but not to the 6GHz SSID's (I own a RAXE500 Wifi Router). Any hints? Thanks

1 (2).jpg

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to see Wifi6 SSID

The killer 1650 doesn't have 6ghz. 

Its a little confusing. 

Wifi 6 is wifi AX that includes 2.4ghz and 5ghz. 

Wifi 6E includes the 6ghz band. 

The Killer is only 2.4ghz and 5ghz. not 6ghz. 

Message 2 of 4
perseid
Aspirant

What about the iPhone 13 Pro? I own it and can't see the 6GHz SSID in the Wifi list, thanks

UPDATE: From Netgear support site: "WiFi 6E builds on the existing WiFi 6 (802.11ax) standard. WiFi 6E offers all of the cutting-edge features of WiFi 6 and allows access to a new 6 GHz wireless band.

Apple iPhones, iPads, Mac computers, and Pro models of each do not support WiFi 6E and cannot access the 6 GHz wireless band."

Too bad...

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Your correct. it doesn't have 6ghz. 

there are a few cards that support 6ghz. You can probably upgrade the card in your computer to one that supports 6ghz. I wouldn't though. I've got 2x computers with 6ghz and for the most part, its mostly a gimmick. Reason I say that is that its shorter range. So unless you're close by your router, your 5ghz works as well. (from my experience). 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7