× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VERY POOR NAS AND FTP PERFORMANCE

WA4CUA
Guide

VERY POOR NAS AND FTP PERFORMANCE

I have FTP enabled on my RAX-80 Router and a hard-wired network connected Windows 11 PC.

The ftp drive on my Router is a WD EasyStore 8TB USB 3.0 Drive.

The ftp drive on my PC is an internal hard drive.

My brother assists me with remote ftp transfer tests.

Using Filezilla, he can download a 30 GB file from my PC ftp server at 5 MiB/s with no errors.

When he tries to download the same file via my RAX-80 router with external usb drive, the transfer rate is only 1.2 MiB/s and the transfer fails after 15 GB are downloaded.

I had hoped to only use my Router as my primary ftp server, but that seems to be impossible with such a slow data transfer data rate and errors.

My question to Netgear: Is this poor ftp performance par for the course for the RAX-80 or could we expect improvements with future firmware updates?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

Re: VERY POOR NAS AND FTP PERFORMANCE

Those results do not seem normal, what file sizes are you dealing with?

Also how do the results compare if you use the smb share (in windows explorer doing something like \\routerIP )

Is SMB really slow  as well or is is it at least able to get close to saturating a gigabit wired connection?

Also how does the FTP performance cmpare when using windows file explorer when you do ftp://router IP ?

One area where the FTP server and smb shares can struggle is if the device iis accessed in a way that lean to heavily on high IOPS for the desired operation.

Message 2 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

Wanted to clarify further. are the files mentioned single large files, e.g., a 30+ GB .vdi file where the real time protection will not attempt to scan the contents of the file, or is it a folder or something where your AV software will get bogged down scanning everything or trying to access a ton of files on readyshare at the same time as that causes massive slowdowns on the router since the file server functions and shares are single threaded.

Message 3 of 5
WA4CUA
Guide

Please read my first post literally.

My brother (300 miles away) tried downloading via internet the same 30 GB file copied on two different ftp servers: my RAX80 router, and a Windows 11 PC. The reported file download speeds were 1.2 and 5 MiB/s, respectively. In addition the ftp file transfer failed after 15 GB transferred from the Router.

My brother's PC had the same computer and ftp client for both attempts.

It seems from other posts that Netgear in general shows poor performance using any methods of transferring files via its USB ports, be it ReadyShare or other protocols.

I guess Netgear needs to hire some better programmers, unless the problem is really in the hardware.

Netgear seems to be avoiding posting any company-sanctioned reply to this issue.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

To me, it definittely seems like there is an issue with either the device connected to the router or a configuration issue. The RAX80 is able to fully saturate a gigabit Ethernet connection for both reading and writing to USB storage.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7