× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN passthrough not working

mnhim001
Aspirant

VPN passthrough not working

Hi,

I have the Netgear Router RAXE500 and have VPN set up and have been using it since the day I got it.  Just recently, when connected to the VPN, I don't get any Internet or local access pass through.  There isn't much configurations to do on the Netgear VPN setup page.  Does anyone know what's going on?  I am using OpenVPN from my Android phone.

I've changed it from UDP to TCP, and then TCP back to UDP with no luck.

Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
jericonst
Aspirant

Re: VPN passthrough not working

mnhim001,

I reverted back to V1.0.12.96_2.0.45 and the VPN is now working properly...

You might want to give that a try before jumping through a bunch of hoops for Netgear support...

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 24

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@mnhim001 wrote:

Hi,

I have the Netgear Router RAXE500 and have VPN set up and have been using it since the day I got it.  Just recently, when connected to the VPN, I don't get any Internet or local access pass through.  There isn't much configurations to do on the Netgear VPN setup page.  Does anyone know what's going on?  I am using OpenVPN from my Android phone.

I've changed it from UDP to TCP, and then TCP back to UDP with no luck.

I am running the VPN server on my R9000.  Attached is a snip from my configuration page.  Your newer RAXE500 will look a little different in the format. 

How long has it been since you updated the configuration profile on your phone?

Message 2 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

I have updated them yesterday, as well as several times when this started happening.

I do have the same settings selected as you do.

Message 3 of 24
Kitsap
Master

On several Android devices, we are using OpenVPN Connect version 3.3.4.

Not sure where you are connected when you are doing the testing.  You cannot be connected to Wi-Fi that is part of the same network where the OpenVPN Server (on your router) is running.

Message 4 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

I tried it using my phones mobile data with wifi turned off. I also tried it at work, using my works wifi.
Message 5 of 24
Kitsap
Master

With your VPN connection established, on another device on your LAN, can you log in to your RAXE500 and see your phone as a connected device?

Have you checked the connection logs generated by the OpenVPN Connect application?

Do you use a service like No-IP for Dynamic Domain Name Server?

Message 6 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

I was able to view the log and I see the GW and DNS as 192.168.254.1. This is not the local IP of my router. I had reassigned it when I first received the RAXE500. Can this be the issue? If so, how do I even change it within the router?

With VPN connected, it does show on my RAX500 that I am connected. I was able to check RAXE500 on a LAN connected workstation.

For testing, I used my mobile data to connect to VPN, then tried to access the RAXE500 admin page and it failed. After disconnecting from VPN, tried the admin page again and it worked via the same device.

I am using the DDNS option built into RAXE500 which is hosted by No-IP. It's a turn on or turn off function, nothing to configure on that page.
Message 7 of 24
Kitsap
Master

@mnhim001 wrote:
I was able to view the log and I see the GW and DNS as 192.168.254.1. This is not the local IP of my router. I had reassigned it when I first received the RAXE500. Can this be the issue? If so, how do I even change it within the router?

With VPN connected, it does show on my RAX500 that I am connected. I was able to check RAXE500 on a LAN connected workstation.

For testing, I used my mobile data to connect to VPN, then tried to access the RAXE500 admin page and it failed. After disconnecting from VPN, tried the admin page again and it worked via the same device.

I am using the DDNS option built into RAXE500 which is hosted by No-IP. It's a turn on or turn off function, nothing to configure on that page.

I presume you have a valid login at No-IP and pay their annual fee?

What device, brand name and model number, is upstream of your RAXE500 between it and the internet? 

Message 8 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

I am only using the no-ip free account.  So, I log in monthly to keep the name alive.

I have fiber with hardware provided by Frontier.  I don't have that information with me at the moment.

Message 9 of 24
jericonst
Aspirant

I am having the same issue and have been working with Netgear support for a while on this. They are unable to find a fix for the issue so far. Maybe a firmware update is needed to get this fixed?

Message 10 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

What is the issue that they have given to you?

Message 11 of 24
Kitsap
Master

@mnhim001 

Repeat question: What device, brand name and model number, is upstream of your RAXE500 between it and the internet? 

Message 12 of 24
jericonst
Aspirant

Hi mnhim001, Netgear support spent almost 2 hours trying to fix my issue before I had to leave the phone call... They took my phone number and said that they would call back and I haven't heard from them yet.

Also, I am discussing the problem with Netgear support over email. No resolution there either.

I did find this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/RAXE500-VPN-missing-client-key/m-p/234...

I think I may try to revert to the older firmware today to see if the latest firmware is the cause of the broken VPN. It would be nice to hear from Netgear support on this sooner than later...

Message 13 of 24
jericonst
Aspirant

All the information is in my ticket # 47957947... Please review the ticket...

Message 14 of 24
Kitsap
Master

@mnhim001 

It is easy enough to confirm if the client.key configuration file generated by your RAXE500 is empty or not.

Do a fresh download of the Windows configuration zip file from your router.  Extract the client.key file from the zip file.  Use a text editor program like Notepad to open the file and look.  The file should be several lines of encrypted data.

See attached.  Report back your results please.

Message 15 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

It does show private key, but does not show as an RSA private key.

2024-01-19 09_04_01.png

Message 16 of 24
jericonst
Aspirant

mnhim001,

You might want to give that a try before jumping through a bunch of hoops for Netgear support...

Message 17 of 24
Kitsap
Master

@jericonst wrote:

mnhim001,

@mnhim001 

You do not have the same issue as @jericonst.  However, his information was informative.

Back to the question, what device brand name and model number is upstream of your RAXE500?  Configuration of that device can block the RAXE500 from having access to the internet via OpenVPN.

For test purposes, you might want to revert back to the firmware version noted above.  If you do, be sure and turn off automatic firmware updates.  Also you should create a new set of configuration files with the old firmware.

Message 18 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

I think its an issue with port forwarding.  I opened up a port trying to setup WireGuard and that still didn't work.

I went to https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check if my port was open and it shows closed.

Again...sorry I forgot to gather the information you needed on my Fiber hardware.

Message 19 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

@Kitsap 

Reverting back to the previous firmware worked.  Thank you for helping me troubleshoot.

@jericonst 

Thank you for your suggestion, it worked.

Message 20 of 24
c4rloco
Tutor

I am also experiencing the same issue (VPN Passthrough is not working). I can connect with errors to the VPN but I cannot browse any website. 

I opened the case# 48002888 in case this helps.

Message 21 of 24
mnhim001
Aspirant

Go back 1 firmware.
Message 22 of 24
c4rloco
Tutor

Absolutely. That was the only way to get the VPN Passthrough working. Going back to V1.0.12.96_2.0.45

NG needs to definitely do a better job with these releases.

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7