× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIRED AP on NETGEAR RAX20-100UK

Oren-123
Aspirant

WIRED AP on NETGEAR RAX20-100UK

I have purchased a NETGEAR RAX20-100UK as a one-for-one update on an existing "N" router currently acting as a wired AP on a fixed IP in a separate building (DHCP provided by ISP'S router, but local management is available on the fixed IP). Ideally, I would like to simply replace the old "N" router with the RAX20-100UK to upgrade that area to AX.  

From what I've read here about NETGEAR's implementation of (wired) AP, it automatically disconnects "remote management" & turns the WAN port into an extra LAN port - presumably leaving web management only via the nominal default Web Address 10.0.0.1. 

As the Web (management) address of 10.0.0.1 is not within the LAN DHCP range, I can't see that any form of local management access would be available to it. 

I don't want to go for a trial run and potentially upset the current LAN to solve the configuration interactively, so suggestions as to slot the RAX20 in with fixed IP & local management on that IP would be welcome.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: WIRED AP on NETGEAR RAX20-100UK

@Oren-123 wrote:

Thanks for the help. 

Used a mix of both suggestions:

ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP
Select the Enable AP Mode check box
"Get dynamically from the existing router. The other router on the network assigns
an IP address to this router while it is in AP mode" - easily enough found on the ISP router's DHCP table.

All straightforward & intuitive.  Unfortunately, the ISP Router is a Linksys Velop which is "smart" and gets in the way of allocating fixed IPs (unless you accept its help and use one it has allocated from within the DHCP range). 

As a result, I had to accept the IP it had allocated by the VELOP (which was within the DHCP range) - so couldn't transfer the N's IP to it. As the allocated (now fixed) IP was at the top of the DHCP range, I have been able to drop the DHCP allocation range down to exclude it.

As a note - I queried the VELOP problem on their forum & have had no feedback at all, so thanks again for the help.

Glad you got it working.  You might try to set the fixed IP of the access point on the access point itself.  It is in Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup.  It does not hurt anything if that IP address is within the pool of possible DHCP assignments.  Just restart the router.

Now you have your new access point in place and your new Wi-Fi bands available.

Suggest you mark this thread as solved.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You'll literally put the RAX20 in AP mode and connect it via wan port back to your primary router. 

Its pretty easy/simple. 

Message 2 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@Oren-123 wrote:

I have purchased a NETGEAR RAX20-100UK as a one-for-one update on an existing "N" router currently acting as a wired AP on a fixed IP in a separate building (DHCP provided by ISP'S router, but local management is available on the fixed IP). Ideally, I would like to simply replace the old "N" router with the RAX20-100UK to upgrade that area to AX.  

From what I've read here about NETGEAR's implementation of (wired) AP, it automatically disconnects "remote management" & turns the WAN port into an extra LAN port - presumably leaving web management only via the nominal default Web Address 10.0.0.1. 

As the Web (management) address of 10.0.0.1 is not within the LAN DHCP range, I can't see that any form of local management access would be available to it. 

I don't want to go for a trial run and potentially upset the current LAN to solve the configuration interactively, so suggestions as to slot the RAX20 in with fixed IP & local management on that IP would be welcome.

Depends on how the N access point's fixed IP address is applied.  It can be applied via settings in the ISP's router and they will be tied to the MAC address of the N access point.  It can be applied via settings in the N access point's user interface or in both devices.  If you have to go back to the ISP's router, you will need the MAC address of the RAX20 for configuration.  When the fixed IP address is set, the user interface of the RAX20 should be available via that address.

You will have to change the SSID's and passwords for the RAX20 to match the old access point.

With a computer not connected to your LAN, you can connect to the RAX20 via Ethernet cable for configuration.  May have to search for the IP address.  Once you change the mode and IP address of the RAX20 you will have to power down both devices and reconnect to access the user interface to continue.  With the RAX20 in access mode, there is no router to assign addresses between the two devices.  You will have to set a fixed IP address on the computer in the same subnet but different address from the RAX20.  This does involve some manipulation of IP addresses and hardware settings, but it is required to seamlessly replace the N access point with the RAX20 access point.  Despite your best efforts, some of the devices connected to the old N access point may have to be reconnected by forgetting the previous connection and signing in again with the SSID and password.

It is a challenge to do this swap seamlessly, but fully within reason.

Message 3 of 6
Oren-123
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. 

"Get dynamically from the existing router. The other router on the network assigns
an IP address to this router while it is in AP mode" - easily enough found on the ISP router's DHCP table.

All straightforward & intuitive.  Unfortunately, the ISP Router is a Linksys Velop which is "smart" and gets in the way of allocating fixed IPs (unless you accept its help and use one it has allocated from within the DHCP range). 

As a result, I had to accept the IP it had allocated by the VELOP (which was within the DHCP range) - so couldn't transfer the N's IP to it. As the allocated (now fixed) IP was at the top of the DHCP range, I have been able to drop the DHCP allocation range down to exclude it.

As a note - I queried the VELOP problem on their forum & have had no feedback at all, so thanks again for the help.

Message 4 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@Oren-123 wrote:

Thanks for the help. 

Glad you got it working.  You might try to set the fixed IP of the access point on the access point itself.  It is in Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup.  It does not hurt anything if that IP address is within the pool of possible DHCP assignments.  Just restart the router.

Now you have your new access point in place and your new Wi-Fi bands available.

Suggest you mark this thread as solved.

Message 5 of 6

@Oren-123 wrote:

Thanks for the help. 

Probably not a good idea. One or the other.

With a router in AP mode, you can leave the IP management for the AP to the main router, your unnamed Linksys Velop, or fix it on the AP.

Unfortunately, the ISP Router is a Linksys Velop which is "smart" and gets in the way of allocating fixed IPs (unless you accept its help and use one it has allocated from within the DHCP range). 

Not so much smart as being a router.

What is your objective? To have a known IP address on the AP?

@plemans has explained the basics. Just put the RAX20 into AP mode.

What you do next depends in what you want to do.

I am a bit confused by references to Mac addresses, something that you didn't mention. I've never had to mess with that with APs.

If the result you want to achieve is to have an IP address for the AP, then, as @Kitsap says, you have two choices. 

Fix the IP address on the RAX20 OR reserve an IP address on your modem router.

Whichever you use, you will have an IP address that you can go to when you want to manage the IP. All that does is to take away the hassle of finding the IP address whenever you want to get in there. (There is actually a neat way round that, using the desktop genie for your operating system, but that it probably a distraction.)

If you want to give the RAX20 the unknown IP address that your anonymous "N router" had, you should do that in the right sequence, with the RAX20 disconnected from the network. Then you have to

• turn off the modem/router
  • connect the RAX20.
  • turn on modem/router
  • wait for modem router to connect to the internet
  • turn on the RAX20

That is just another way of describing what @Kitsap described.

Of course, you have to fix the IP address of the RAX20 to the range that the modem/router uses.

I mention tat because you referred earlier to the nominal default Web Address 10.0.0.1.

That is not the "nominal default Web address" for most Netgear routers. They usually go for 192.168.1.1. (192.168.0.1 of 192.168.0.100 for some modem/routers).

If you have something that gives itself the address 10.0.0.1 that can be a sign that it encountered something else squatting in 192.168.1.1 and adjusted itself accordingly.

Again, the missing details from your message – the model number and its IP address of the old router along with the same details for the modem/router – make it hard to understand exactly what is going on at your end. Those details could change the answers you get.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7