× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Webpages fail to load RAX80

temmet
Aspirant

Webpages fail to load RAX80

Client OS: Windows 10 64 bit

Router: Nighthawk RAX80

Router firmware: V1.0.3.106_1.0.50

Purchase Date: 12/20/2020

Modem: Netgear CM600

Hello. I’m having connection problems with this router. I am not sure what is happening, as the problems and errors I get are intermittent. I had classified it as a DNS problem, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.

Here is a symptom issue I am having: Occasionally, webpages that are reachable and online fail to load. I get DNS errors – timeouts, name resolution failures, look up failures, and the like. When this happens, the affected machine doesn’t show an internet disconnection and the router doesn’t show a port problem. This problem lasts for at most 10 seconds before it will fix itself – that is, the page that failed to load will then automatically refresh and load.

I have assigned static IP addresses and DNS addresses but these did not solve the problem. The router this one replaced was a Linksys WRT-54G, which didn’t have this issue. It was a slower router, but I never got these sorts of issues or problems.

To me, it feels like there is a setting in the router that I have not adjusted, which is causing a problem with the connection between the router and the networked devices. I don’t know what it is and would really appreciate some help.

Thank you very much

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
temmet
Aspirant

Re: Webpages fail to load RAX80

Yes, unfortunately, I have tried alternate and static DNS servers – both on the router and on the devices – but that didn’t solve the problem either.

Last night, I found this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Fatal-Flaw-in-NETGEAR-Routers-Read-Before-Bu...

And after reading through it, it describes my exact problem, including the DoS attacks that my router has been logging but which I don’t actually experience. It seems that the Nighthawk series has a firmware problem that creates this issue.

The third solution offered there is what was suggested above, and it doesn’t work for any of the devices. Since none of his solutions work, I've ordered a new, different router. Thank you for your help. The actual solution appears to be to not buy Nighthawk routers.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

have you tried a different dns provider? 

Like googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1

Message 2 of 5
temmet
Aspirant

Yes, unfortunately, I have tried alternate and static DNS servers – both on the router and on the devices – but that didn’t solve the problem either.

Last night, I found this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Fatal-Flaw-in-NETGEAR-Routers-Read-Before-Bu...

And after reading through it, it describes my exact problem, including the DoS attacks that my router has been logging but which I don’t actually experience. It seems that the Nighthawk series has a firmware problem that creates this issue.

The third solution offered there is what was suggested above, and it doesn’t work for any of the devices. Since none of his solutions work, I've ordered a new, different router. Thank you for your help. The actual solution appears to be to not buy Nighthawk routers.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

That's fine if you want to go that route based off something from a 5 year old post before AX was even released. 

good luck with your next device. 

Message 4 of 5
temmet
Aspirant

Thank you for your permission. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation