× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless AP Wi-Fi stops working at same time every night

rgames1
Aspirant

Wireless AP Wi-Fi stops working at same time every night

I recently had to replace a modem (CM1150V) and have been trying to get a stable network with the new one (CM2050V).

I have a modem, router and second router configured as a wireless AP for range extension.  This configuration previously worked fine in my house for years with a R7500 as the main router and R7000 as a wireless AP.  But I couldn’t get that setup to work with the new modem (wireless AP kept disappearing from the network) so I also got a new router, RAXE300.  I think I finally got that problem solved.

The problem I’m having now is the wireless AP kills its Wi-Fi every night at almost exactly the same time - within a couple minutes.  This is not an internet problem, this is a radio problem: anything connected to the wireless AP shows that network just disappears.  Sometimes it comes back but sometimes I have to manually reset the AP.  And it doesn’t matter which router is the main router and which is wireless AP: I’ve tried all three in both roles.

I know routers and modems sometimes get reassigned IP by the ISP but I don’t know why that would make the AP kill its radio.  Plus, I never had this problem for years before getting the new modem.

Any ideas on what might be going on and how to fix it?

Are there log files somewhere in Windows or on the router that I can look at to debug?  I’m not sure how to do that or where to look.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Wireless AP Wi-Fi stops working at same time every night

So are you currently using the R7000 or the R7500 as the AP?

What firmware is on it? 

The RAXE doesn't have any issues? its running solid? Its just the AP?

who's your isp? 

Message 2 of 4
rgames1
Aspirant

I've tried all three as primary router and as AP.  The behavior is the same - all three work fine as a router but drop the wireless signal every night.  I was having issues where the R7000 was being kicked off the network but that problem seems to have gone away.

My ISP is Xfinity, as it was before I got the new modem and had no issues with the AP.

I do not know what firmware is being used but I have tried several different versions in each router and the behavior is the same.  If you know a particular firmware addresses this issue, please let me know.

The only difference in my setup is the new modem but I can't see how that would cause the AP to repeatedly turn off its wireless radio.  I can see how that would cause the internet connection to drop but that should result in a wireless connection that says "no internet".  I can't see how that would just make the wireless disappear.

It must be related to the ISP resetting the IP for the router.  That's the only thing I can think of that would happen on such a regular interval.  But I can't think of why that would kill the wireless radio on the AP.  And again, that never happened before I got the new modem.

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

So the primary router doesn't drop its wireless settings? ONLY the AP does?

When you log into it when it happens, is the wireless showing as disabled? 

What does it actually show when it drops? 

Stick with one device as the router (use the RAXE) and only switch the ap around. 

Is the AP connected to its wan port when hardwired in?
Is ipv6 enabled? 

Any custom settings when the router is setup for lan/reservations/etc?

Have you given the AP a reserved IP address?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7