× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

network continues to worsen

gigabit123
Aspirant

network continues to worsen

so ive had this router for 1.5 years and the router should be 4 gbs and should get atleast 1 gb to my computer but it only does 100mbps and that doesnt really bother me but now the network has worsened to 40mbps. It had this same problem also but it fixed just by restarting but now it just stays at 40 mbps. Do you get that? the box says its 4gbps but in reality its only 40mbps 😄

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: network continues to worsen

4Gb is a wifi combined marketing speed. Not really actual and you'll never see that on any wireless device with this model router. 

Is your computer wireless or ethernet connected when you speed testing?

How are you speed testing? Wired is referred. 

Using Ooklas installable speed test app is recommended.

Brand and model of the PC and the wireless or ethernet adapter install in this computer. 

Is this the only device that experiences this?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Smart Parental Controls or Circle, Traffic Meter.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 9

@gigabit123 wrote:

Do you get that? the box says its 4gbps but in reality its only 40mbps 😄

You could reduce you anxiety levels a bit by reading this site for some good explanations of what wifi speeds people can expect in the real world.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

It all starts with the wifi clients you use, those mobile phones and tablets. They'll never get the same speed as wired devices. The top speed for your router is 1 Gbps. Those extra 3 Gbps won't come out of thin air.

Message 3 of 9
gigabit123
Aspirant

how clueless are you? how much did you read about the text i wrote? i said at  the beginning that it can support 4 gbs and get 1gbs to my computer

Message 4 of 9
gigabit123
Aspirant

1. im doing this ethernet

2. im speed testing with speedtest ookla and with a modem and without a modem (results are the same)

3. i checked it and it is capable of supporting up to 5gbs and supports this router

4. yes this is only one that gets 40mbps instead of 100mbps

5.  the latest havent got updates in a long time and i have checked them

6. i checked it without a modem so the modem isnt the issue.

7. i do use an CAT6A STP

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll not be correct in that statement. Again the 4Gb is a marketing combined wifi speed total. Takes each radio connection rate speed for each wifi radio and combines that in to a total value is all: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RAX43/RAX43_DS.pdf

WiFi 6 (802.11ax) dual band WiFi (AX4200)
- 2.4GHz AX: 2x2 (Tx/Rx) 1024/256-QAM
20/40MHz, up to 574Mbps
- 5GHz AX: 3x3 (Tx/Rx) 1024-QAM
20/40/80/160MHz, up to 3603Mbps

And again this is all theoretical as well. Based on what devices you connect, may or may not support those max connection rates. 2x2 MIMO devices usually max out at 300-700Mpbs depending on design and support of the device. 4x4 MIMO device can support higher speeds 2400 up to around 4800Mpbs.

The other fact is that since the WAN and LAN port connection rates are all 1Gb, you'll never get any speeds past this. Wired or Wireless. Usually topping around just over 900Mpbs with a ethernet connected PC. 

If your seeing 1Gb or near that with a wired PC from this router, then the router is working as designed. 

Message 6 of 9

@gigabit123 wrote:

how clueless are you?

If you come here seeking help, it is, as the rules suggest, better to be courteous than to throw around insults, especially when you just might be wrong.

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated.

@FURRYe38 has warned you about the marketing guff, I'd be interested to know how you expect a router with wired LAN ports limited to 1 Gbps to feed your wifi at speeds above that limit.

Message 7 of 9
gigabit123
Aspirant

HOLY **bleep**ING **bleep** ARE YOU READING WHAT IM SAYING? WTF ARE THESE EMPLOYEES????

i literally have said 3 times now that I KNOW my wifi can SPREAD 4 GBS ACROSS MY DEVICES BUT ATLEAST GET 1 GBS TO MY COMPUTER. DID YOU GET IT NOW? and thanks for not knowing anything

Message 8 of 9
gigabit123
Aspirant

why can nobody help me do the employees not know anything about my problem?

ok ill clarify what im saying cuz you dont seem to understand.

my computer had 100mbps a week ago now that has dropped to 40mbps, there is no new firmware and nothing is broken can you understand now?

ive never said that i should have had 4gbs to MY COMPUTER. this is the statement i wrote "get 1gbs to my computer" do you understand? i never said it should have 4gbs.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7