× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

newly reset router can't connect to internet

yasdaz
Aspirant

newly reset router can't connect to internet

Okay, I have a fibre optic box, a modem/router and originally a r4600 router, if I remember correctly.  The original router worked fine.  I had the optic box plugged into the wan of the modem/router and then a lan from the modem/router was connected to the netgear router's wan.  I was able to access routerlogin.net as well.  However, the last two days that I tried I could not get onto routerlogin.net (got useless netgear site which is supposed to help, https://www.netgear.com/home/services/routerlogincom/) or the gateway ip addresses on the site.  However, I was able to get into the app.  What a useless thing, many more options on the routerlogin sites. 

I got a used but reset rax 40 and did the same set up, optic fibre box lan to modem/router wan, modem router lan to netgear router wan.  It recognizes the default ssid names and passwords but does not connect to the internet.  However, the router internet light is on. 

I shut down my optic box, modem/router and netgear router, rebooted box, then modem/router then router.  No change.  Can't connect to the internet and thus to routerlogin or app.  Am I doing something wrong?  Any help would be so appreciated and thanks for your time. 

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
yasdaz
Aspirant

Re: newly reset router can't connect to internet

Hi, I did what you suggested with the staggered off and then on procedure.  Did not help :(.  But then I realized something, sigh.... I had put the security at wap (?) 3 and windows 10 could not handle it.  I put it at 2 and 3 and it worked!  I don't know what caused the problems at the beginning, when I had not used my phone to access the nighthawk app and changed security to 3.  However, all's well that ends well.  I so appreciate your time in replying, thanks. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 6
yasdaz
Aspirant

Hi, I will get the information you asked for.  However, all of a sudden, it started working, shrug.  Not sure why, very confusing.  Then it showed up on my cell phone ssid list but not on my computer (after being on there before, unconnected to internet and then connected).  I am still working through these issues, checking with my internet provider since something is going wonky now with the modem/router.  I will report back after I have some answers from all this!  I really appreciate your time in helping me. 

Message 3 of 6
amIhere
Aspirant

I had a similar problem setting up a brand new Netgear RAX20.

It was frustrating to say the least until I thought perhaps it does not like the VPN running on the desktop that I was trying to connect from. I turned the VPN off and then I could acess and login to the router without being redirected. I will have to adjust my VPN settings to take care of this.

To the moderator: By the way why is the RAX20 not in the Model drop down? It is an WIFI6 (AX) router.

Message 4 of 6
yasdaz
Aspirant

Okay, the firmware is 1.3.0.94_1.0.1.  The modem/router is actiontec t3200m.  I can see the connections and connect to the internet with the router on my smartphone.  I am able to at least work with the nighthawk app (and thus was able to update firmware). 

However, I can't connect to the netgear router on my computer.  Before I could see the connections but it would not connect to the internet.  There was one brief time when it did connect.  But can't even see the connections now.  I will try the sequence you outlined of rebooting routers, etc....  in the morning and will report back. 

As mentioned, this is really confusing.  This is why I hate networking--it is so unpredictable with no rhyme or reason.  I would not be surprised if the networks show up connecting to the internet in the morning!  As always, I so appreciate your time with this, thanks!

Message 5 of 6
yasdaz
Aspirant

Hi, I did what you suggested with the staggered off and then on procedure.  Did not help :(.  But then I realized something, sigh.... I had put the security at wap (?) 3 and windows 10 could not handle it.  I put it at 2 and 3 and it worked!  I don't know what caused the problems at the beginning, when I had not used my phone to access the nighthawk app and changed security to 3.  However, all's well that ends well.  I so appreciate your time in replying, thanks. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7