× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: port forward not working on port 25565

jackjuljay
Aspirant

port forward not working on port 25565

So i decided to Make a Minecraft server i have port forwarded 25565 tcp and udp

i also have allowed the ports through firewall 

i have been running the server and cant seem to have anyone join  

I used a port checker and it said the port was closed and i was very unsure on why the port was closed 

Message 1 of 7
Kitsap
Master

@jackjuljay wrote:

So i decided to Make a Minecraft server i have port forwarded 25565 tcp and udp

i also have allowed the ports through firewall 

i have been running the server and cant seem to have anyone join  

I used a port checker and it said the port was closed and i was very unsure on why the port was closed 

Here is a whole series of threads to check out:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/forums/search Minecraft 

Message 2 of 7
birgsmitchyl
Aspirant

There could be several reasons why your Minecraft server port is still closed even after you have port forwarded and allowed the ports through your firewall:

Double check your port forwarding settings: Ensure that you have correctly set up port forwarding on your router. Double check that you have forwarded port 25565 to your server's local IP address.

Check your firewall settings: Make sure that your firewall is allowing inbound and outbound connections for port 25565.

ISP blocking the port: Some ISPs block certain ports for security reasons. Check with your internet service provider to make sure that they are not blocking port 25565.

Router blocking the port: Some routers may have a built-in security feature that blocks incoming traffic on certain ports. Check your router's settings to see if it is blocking port 25565.

Incorrect IP address: Make sure that you are providing your friends with the correct IP address to connect to your server. You can find your public IP address by doing a quick search on Google for "What is my IP address".

Minecraft server software settings: Double-check that the Minecraft server software is configured correctly to use the correct port.

Message 3 of 7
jackjuljay
Aspirant

Thankyou for the help i was wondering if i would need to port forward through my modem first for the connection to work i am using an xfinity XB6 modem and plugin it into the router would i need to port forward on their first to get the connection to open on the router side  or would this not matter 

Message 4 of 7
jackjuljay
Aspirant

also is there another port i could port forward for a Minecraft server 

Message 5 of 7

@jackjuljay wrote:

..... i am using an xfinity XB6 modem and plugin it into the router

That looks like a "gateway", a device that combines modem and router. So you are piling router on router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

It is also likely to complicate your attempts at port forward.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

Using Bridge Mode On Your Wireless Gateway - Xfinity Support

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Then check the port forward configuration on the NH router.

@jackjuljay wrote:

Thankyou for the help i was wondering if i would need to port forward through my modem first for the connection to work i am using an xfinity XB6 modem and plugin it into the router would i need to port forward on their first to get the connection to open on the router side  or would this not matter 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7