× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rax120 remote access

dmrbill
Aspirant

rax120 remote access

I have 2 RAX120 routers in different locations(different states).

On one of them I am able to setup the remote access via the Web Services Management.  On the other the Remote Access is not where to be found.

Any ideas?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: rax120 remote access

What FW version is loaded on these routers? 

I believe NG is removing the web page remote management feature from the routers web page and moving to Web Servies Mangement which is only enabled on the routers web page and users have to use the Nighthawk app to do some limited stuff with. 

Message 2 of 9
dmrbill
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I am up to date on the firmware for all my routers.  I have 2 of the RAX120 - v1.2.3.28 - and one of the R9000 - v1.0.5.38.  On for the RAX120 is good the other not so much, the R9000 works fine as well.  

Yes NG did move it to Web Services and that is the issue.

Is the only way to turn on the Remote Management through the app?  Is there a way to do it outside the app?  I am 1500 miles from that router and would like to get it to connect remotely.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, it's only thru the NH app were you can enable or disable it I believe now. 

Message 4 of 9
dmrbill
Aspirant

Thanks for that.  It is surprising these companies are putting so much energy into the phone apps and completely ignoring the web particularly as a 'backup' to the app.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I know. Possible that NG felt that having web page based remote access was a security concern so that may have driven them to the mobile app only. Who knows. 

Message 6 of 9
dmrbill
Aspirant

Ironically, if that was their logic, they would allow us to change the USER ID from 'admin' to something of our choosing.  I feel that is more of a security issue than accessing things via the web.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure changing the log in name would make it more secure. If someone was to be nefarious on the LAN side, one could theoretically still find the user name. And besides, would have to be done by someone connected to the LAN side network to do it. Seen other mfrs use same admin log in for years. Doesn't seem to be a problem for most. 

Message 8 of 9
dmrbill
Aspirant

In theory it is one more level to crack - need both the user name AND the password to get in.  

I have rarely seen a generic user id for such a critical component as a router.  If there were the case, your windows machines would only have a password and not a user name; other benefits in the windows world. 

It just seems logical to have 2 levels associated with someone logging into the system.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series