× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: unable to login to the web interface of my Nighthawk 5400

tholmes721
Guide

unable to login to the web interface of my Nighthawk 5400

I can access my router from the nighthawk app on my phone, but its not letting me change some of my wifi settings, namely DNS ip's so I tried logging in through the web interface.

At the login prompt I use the same userid and password I use on the mobile app, and continue to get a message that says access denied.

After a couple of attempts, it redirected me to a recover password option, entered the serial# of the router, put in a new password, and immediately upon trying to log in with that new password, get the same redirect page after what appears to be a successful login stating access denied. Went back to the mobile app, was prompted to log in, and used the new password with no issue, but still minimal config options.

I've tried chrome and edge with the same results.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@tholmes721 wrote:

I can access my router from the nighthawk app on my phone, but its not letting me change some of my wifi settings, namely DNS ip's so I tried logging in through the web interface.

At the login prompt I use the same userid and password I use on the mobile app, and continue to get a message that says access denied.

After a couple of attempts, it redirected me to a recover password option, entered the serial# of the router, put in a new password, and immediately upon trying to log in with that new password, get the same redirect page after what appears to be a successful login stating access denied. Went back to the mobile app, was prompted to log in, and used the new password with no issue, but still minimal config options.

I've tried chrome and edge with the same results.

Any advice?

What is the model number of your router?  Something that starts with an R maybe?  Look on the label.  What is the brand name and model number of the device connected upstream between your router and the internet?  Yes, it does make a difference as to what it is and how it is configured.  It is best to connect a computer direct to your router via an Ethernet cable as opposed to Wi-Fi.

For the login issue, a couple of places to start:

https://kb.netgear.com/980/How-do-I-log-in-to-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/27199/I-can-t-access-my-router-what-do-I-do

The user id is admin, all lower case and there is no option to change it to something else.

Message 2 of 15
tholmes721
Guide

Thanks for the reply and question.

The router model number is RAX50v2

My laptop is connected to an unmanaged switch, which is then directly connected to the router, do you think that hop could have something to do with it?

I did see those KB's and went through them, and everything works like they say as far as using the routerlogin.net address and/or the 192.168.1.1 IP, except for at the login screen, even though I am confident I am using the correct password, I get a screen with the Netgear / Orbi / Nighthawk logos and a line that says "Access to the requested page has been denied."

Message 3 of 15
Kitsap
Master

@tholmes721 wrote:

Thanks for the reply and question.

The router model number is RAX50v2

My laptop is connected to an unmanaged switch, which is then directly connected to the router, do you think that hop could have something to do with it?

I did see those KB's and went through them, and everything works like they say as far as using the routerlogin.net address and/or the 192.168.1.1 IP, except for at the login screen, even though I am confident I am using the correct password, I get a screen with the Netgear / Orbi / Nighthawk logos and a line that says "Access to the requested page has been denied."

For test purposes, I would connect the laptop directly to the router via an Ethernet cable.  I am presuming you have internet access when the laptop is connected through your unmanaged switch?  Are you running Windows?  If yes, which version?

Have you cleared the cache on your web browser?

Repeat question: What is the brand name and model number of the device connected upstream between your router and the internet?

Message 4 of 15

@citiot wrote:

Same thing here with rax50v2. Tried multiple browsers, multiple devices.

For the third time of asking, what modem/gateway/ONT that sits between the RAX50V2 and the Internet?

We ask that question because it makes a big difference to how the router responds to things like login requests, especially if that connection is through a modem/router.

@citiot wrote:

firmware v1.1.4.28 

You have the latest firmware.

Message 5 of 15
tholmes721
Guide

Unfortunately I had to go out of town for work and have not had the ability to pull the model # of my surfboard cable modem. 

I will be home this evening to pull this, however it seems odd that my laptop connected directly to the Nighthawk would pass traffic out to the internet, and back in again to bring up the web interface on a 192.168.1.1 device does it not?

When I get home this evening, I will test out a direct ethernet connection to the Nighthawk and disconnect the LAN cable from the cable modem to insure this isnt happeneing and see if the login works and report back.

Message 6 of 15
tholmes721
Guide

So it looks like my surfboard model is an 8200.

I tried disconnecting my nighthawk from the cable modem, and was able to successfully log in to the nighthawk with a browser.

As soon as I plugged the nighthawk back in to the cable modem, I went right back to the access denied message.

So I guess the next question is, do I need a static route command on my laptop to keep it from trying to route out and back for 192.168.1.1, or is there a setting on the nighthawk I missed that will block that from going out?

Edit:  I also noticed that when I get the access denied message, the web address shows:
https://accounts-qa.netgear.com/error?redirectUrl=http:%2F%2F192.168.1.1%2Fgenie_redirect_SSO.htm&se...

However the serial number in the link is not the serial number for my router. I tried putting my valid serial number in but that didnt work either.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 15

@tholmes721 wrote:

So it looks like my surfboard model is an 8200.

That does not look like a complete model number.

Is that SB8200? If so it is a basic cable modem. No router component to confuse the network.

Have you started things from scratch?

Reset the RAX50v2.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then go through the correct startup routine. (You could try this without the reset to see what happens.)

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

When you get to the stage where you have to setup the router for your Internet service, go nowhere near the app. Do it with a web browser and the graphical user interface (GUI).

You will be back to the default setting for username (admin) and password (password).

When you are in there you can go back to the previous settings for the wifi SSID and password.

Message 8 of 15
citiot
Tutor

I had same issue. Support said to reset modem. They said that logs fill up and cause issues making device somehow think that local computer is a threat. That fixed it

Message 9 of 15

@citiot wrote:

I had same issue. Support said to reset modem. They said that logs fill up and cause issues making device somehow think that local computer is a threat. That fixed it

That sounds like the dreaded DoS Attack syndrome.

The log lists things that are not such thing. False positives, in tech speak.

Netgear is in the middle of changing firmware to prevent those false positives. It may never get round to that for many older devices, so it is worth turning off that bit of the logging service.

I'm not convinced that this would help @tholmes721 who seems to have a different problem.

Message 10 of 15
tholmes721
Guide

Perhaps not, but its an easy thing for me to test next!

Thanks all for the feedback so far

Message 11 of 15
tholmes721
Guide

Rebooted the Arris SB8200 modem, and the nighthawk router, waited for both to come back up, and tried again with unfortunately the same error:

"Access to the requested page has been denied."

and a URL with a serial number that does not match my device:

https://accounts-qa.netgear.com/error?redirectUrl=http:%2F%2F192.168.1.1%2Fgenie_redirect_SSO.htm&se...

I went over to the my netgear page and noticed my router wasnt listed, which I could have sworn I registered when I bought it, because from the mobile app it says device registered, but when I attempted to add it to the my netgear page it says my serial # is registered to someone else?

Sent an email to netgear support, but no response so far.

I guess my last resort is going to be a factory reset to see if that resolves the issue

Message 12 of 15

@tholmes721 wrote:

I guess my last resort is going to be a factory reset to see if that resolves the issue

Last resort?

It is usually the first thing to try and will be the first suggestion from Netgear's support team.

If you have access to the GUI you could start with this:

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Then of the reset doesn't solve the problem you have the old settings to fall back on.

@tholmes721 wrote:

I went over to the my netgear page and noticed my router wasnt listed, which I could have sworn I registered when I bought it, because from the mobile app it says device registered, but when I attempted to add it to the my netgear page it says my serial # is registered to someone else?

Unfortunately, there are various "registration" options. Registering your device on MyNetgear is not necessarily the same as registering its on the Anywhere Access cloud system. And registering for this community can be yet another set of login details.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Did the factory reset work? This fixes this issue on this version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/New-RAX41-42-43-50-54-V2-Firmware-Vers...

@tholmes721 wrote:

Rebooted the Arris SB8200 modem, and the nighthawk router, waited for both to come back up, and tried again with unfortunately the same error:

"Access to the requested page has been denied."

and a URL with a serial number that does not match my device:

Sent an email to netgear support, but no response so far.

Message 14 of 15
MrEli
Initiate

Hi don't know if you solved this issue yet but for those who are looking for a possible answer here it is.

1. Disconnect Internet port.

2  Wait a few seconds (device needs to detect that internet is no longer available)

3 Connect computer via ethernet. (do not use a USB adapter it will most likely fail)

4 Clear cookies / cache ( you want to avoid reusing a bad login attempt)

5 Open Web browser http://"ip_address" (example: http://192.168.1.1

- do not use "https://"

6 Enter credentials   username: admin          password: "your password"

Unfortunately the firmware has a bad "intrusion detection" rule.

Not much you can do to fix it but this is a workaround to access your router.

When you disconnect the internet cable the WAN rule set changed to LAN rule set

Hopefully this will be addressed soon in other models as well

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7