× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MLO (Multi Link Operation) WiFi7 of RS700

tvarsano
Aspirant

MLO (Multi Link Operation) WiFi7 of RS700

Hi,

Does RS700 with V1.0.7.82_2.0.80 support MLO (Multi Link Operation) WiFi7 capability? How should I configure it?

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the spec sheet say thing about MLO? 

Possible that NG maybe still in development on this as wel. 

@BH-C 

Message 2 of 10
tvarsano
Aspirant

According to the technical Specification sheet (https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/rs700s/)

• Multi-Link Operation1—Uses multiple WiFi bands at once to improve network reliability, reduce latency, and ensure data is delivered with maximum speed. Scheduled to be released by Q4 2023.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, may and ran into development issues or still in testing on it. 

I'm now the Orbi 970 system has it enabled however is only for the satellite backhaul. Nothing front user facing yet. And also there isn't any MLO supporting user devices as well. I can only presume MLO is still under development and probably won't see anything until the new year hits. Can only speculate though. 

Message 4 of 10
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

MLO is not supported on the RS700 yet. We still work on the firmware release for the MLO support.

Message 5 of 10
Kerm1
Aspirant

Hello -

Any news on when we can expect this firmware update?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 10
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

Sorry, we cannot share the schedule. We will post a release candidate in the community when it's available. Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
7by24info
Aspirant

There is no information available about an RS700 device with firmware version V1.0.7.82_2.0.80. It's possible that this is a newer version released after my knowledge cutoff. Regarding MLO (Multi Link Operation) and WiFi 7 capability, as of 2021, WiFi 7 (also known as 802.11be) is still in development and has not been officially ratified as a standard by the Wi-Fi Alliance. Therefore, it's unlikely that the RS700 with the mentioned firmware version supports WiFi 7 or MLO capabilities.

To obtain the most accurate and up-to-date information about the capabilities of your specific RS700 device and its firmware version, I recommend consulting the user manual, product documentation, or reaching out to the manufacturer's customer support for assistance. They will be able to provide you with the relevant information and guidance on configuring your device.

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@7by24info wrote:

There is no information available about an RS700 device with firmware version V1.0.7.82_2.0.80. It's possible that this is a newer version released after my knowledge cutoff.

The answer from @BH-C is still valid:

@BH-C wrote:

Sorry, we cannot share the schedule. We will post a release candidate in the community when it's available. Thanks.

While the first draft of 802.11be was accepted in the sense that the Wi-Fi Alliance introduced the Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 7 program on January 8, 2024, the work isn't finished.  While final ratification is not expected until the end of 2024, the technical requirements are essentially complete.  The progress of the 802.11 Timelines is set, but (partially by far) not finished.

One day people will understand all this magic bandwidth is only possible with a massive waste of available "free" channel space. This might be ok if somebody is living in the open space of North or South Dakota if seeking for this possible 46'120 Mbps PHY link rates - these are 45 Gbit/sec!  But not in a house, and even less in a dens multi story apartment building. 

In relation to all this, the RS700 does have a single 10 GbE port. And the fastest 802.11be WiFi client, the Intel BE200 is spec'ed to a max link speed of 5.8 Gbps at 320 MHz bandwidth, 4K QAM. It's PCIe 5.0 x2 (Two lanes of 5 GT/s or ~4 Gb/s each), setting the limit to about 8 Gbps if my math is right. Or about a single link wireless speed of ~5.8 Gbps. So I'm curious what you are behind exactly...

The Netgear WBE758 with it's 18.4 Gb/s total throughput does indeed offer optional MLO when I have things right. 

Message 9 of 10
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

Firmware v1.0.7.82 does not support MLO.

We aim to release another firmware soon (v1.0.7.86 or a larger version number), but it also does not support MLO. It is mainly for bug fixes.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7