× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New RS700S questions

New RS700S questions

Have my new router setup and everything is great so far. I have Charter Spectrum internet and wanted to know if enabling ipv6 is advised in the router settings? It’s disabled by default. Also, how do I disable WPS completely as it will never be used?
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New RS700S questions

Does the ISP support native IPv6? Something to ask them about and see if they do, and if so, are there any specific IPv6 configurations needed on the router. 

Message 2 of 11
microchip8
Master

IPv6 is "the future" whether you like it or not, and more and more sites are gaining support for it. Enable it.

WPS can't be completely disabled. Don't worry, you have to be physically at the router and press the WPS button for it to do anything.
Message 3 of 11

IPv6 wise they say dual stack ipv4/ipv6 is supported what ever that means? Again, not sure if I should enable it and select auto detect?
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes try Auto Detect. 

What is the brand and model# of the ISP modem or ONT the RS router is connected too? 

Message 5 of 11

Netgear CM1200 is the cable modem.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes after you try it.

Message 7 of 11

Charter Spectrum uses 6to4 tunnel and that is what the router detected/selected. Is it worth running? I started getting lag in games and when I turned it off, it was fine again?
Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Peek and poke around the wild Internet shows that (at least good parts of Spectrum) are supporting native IPv6. The 6to4 tunnel seems to be around for some special use cases only.  Assuming there is no other router in the data path, better consult with your ISP or ISP specific communities like https://www.dslreports.com/forum/charter 

Message 9 of 11

Most ISPs IPV6 implementation is pretty awful. You won't be gaining anything by enabling it, tbh.

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@autoexec_bat wrote:

Most ISPs IPV6 implementation is pretty awful.

In which aspect?

@autoexec_bat wrote:

You won't be gaining anything by enabling it, tbh.

Gaining in what? It's yet another Internet access protocol, IPv6 vs. IPv4. End to end IPv6, no more crappy IPv4 NAT required. Isn't this enough?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7