× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RS700 blocking connection to office VPN

Sozzled
Aspirant

RS700 blocking connection to office VPN

I use a VPN when I am working from home to access the server in my office on the office network. I do this just by configuring the vpn in windows and connecting.

Since I purchased the RS700 a few weeks ago I cannot access the VPN, receiving the error message "A connection to the remote computer could not be established, so the port used for this connection has been closed"

I can still access theVPN successfully using an old router in my home network or even by hotspotting on my mobile but for some reason this router is blocking the connection.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Nighthawk rs700 VPN vs Nighthawk R9000

Hi @Sozzled,

There was a VPN pass through issue reported previously (Windows VPN client could not connect to the corporate server in the remote), and we have fixed the issue for that customer. I will PM you the link for the trial firmware, would you like to give it a try?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Sozzled
Aspirant

I've just purchased an RS700 for Wifi 7 and am seeing the same thing. I connect to my office server via vpn using a windows-configured vpn on my laptop. The RS700 gives me an error but I can still connect even with a mobile hotspot or other networks.

Cant find any tech support at netgear to help with this, they plead ignorance.

Appreciate anyone who can offer a potential solution...I've tried all of the settings that even vaguely sound like they may help.
Message 2 of 7
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Sozzled,

There was a VPN pass through issue reported previously (Windows VPN client could not connect to the corporate server in the remote), and we have fixed the issue for that customer. I will PM you the link for the trial firmware, would you like to give it a try?

Message 3 of 7
Geewilkr
Aspirant

Good afternoon,

I previously reported the issue with the vpn service back in February.  I decided to try firmware 1.0.7.86 and could no longer connect to the vpn.

Would I be able to receive another link, the one I received expired?

Unfortunately, there was no way for me to backup the firmware before upgrading.

Sincerely,

Gee

Message 4 of 7
Sozzled
Aspirant

It worked. Thanks
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 7
BH-C
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Gee,

I've emailed you the link for the new trial firmware.

The FW v1.0.7.86 does not include the fix, we plan to include the fix in the next release. Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7